Drilled glass for arboreal

saturnthegrey

Arachnosquire
@lunarae I won't be housing anything in it for a while, I just want to make one now haha. I saw @EulersK has a thread with one and Im going to combine them and add a double opening to mine. I'm pretty good with silicone tubes(used to be a painter) so I don't mind the 24 hour dry time

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Do you feel there is any need to "buff" (for lack of a better word at the moment) the holes to smooth out any micro-serrations/sharp edges, or will that be a non-issue? I was kind of thinking in terns of a spider poking a leg through and perhaps getting a cut, but for all I know that danger is minuscule.

In any event, great work. I like glass enclosures but their big downside, aside possibly from weight, is the lack of cross-ventilation.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Do you feel there is any need to "buff" (for lack of a better word at the moment) the holes to smooth out any micro-serrations/sharp edges, or will that be a non-issue? I was kind of thinking in terns of a spider poking a leg through and perhaps getting a cut, but for all I know that danger is minuscule.
I was wondering this as well. I'm not sure how sharp the edges would be or how effective buffing or dulling them would work.

SpiderDad61

Arachnoknight
I was wondering this as well. I'm not sure how sharp the edges would be or how effective buffing or dulling them would work.
I thought the same thing but after the first hole I ran my finger around it and pushed hard. It was smooth and not sharp at all

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Possibly the heat from the friction of drilling plays a hand in it? That's just a guess, and probably not a valid one.

SpiderDad61

Arachnoknight
Thanks for the video, very educational.
Now, possibly this weekend, I will try it on a tank. :anxious:
Also, if its gonna be an arboreal tank, test on the bottom of the tank. It'll be covered with maybe a background anyway, so if a small crack does happen, the tank is still useable.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks a lot for the video much appreciated. It appears in the drilling, after the initial 10 secs, that you don't keep the drill bit perpendicular to the plane of the glass. Is this correct, if so, why is that? Or should it be perpendicular?

Thanks a lot!

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Thanks a lot for the video much appreciated. It appears in the drilling, after the initial 10 secs, that you don't keep the drill bit perpendicular to the plane of the glass. Is this correct, if so, why is that? Or should it be perpendicular?

Thanks a lot!
It should be perpendicular but that is hard to do with most drills unless you had a bubble dot level on the back of the drill or use a drill press. Luckily when drilling imprecise shallow holes a slight tilt shouldn't affect much. That's why when the hole popped thru the glass the drill tilts to the side it was leaning.

I thought the same thing but after the first hole I ran my finger around it and pushed hard. It was smooth and not sharp at all
That is good to know. I'd like to look at one of those holes with a good magnifying glass. :D

SpiderDad61

Arachnoknight

Thanks a lot!
Ur "supposed" to, but I found that putting it at an ever so slight angle gets it to dig in a lil faster.
Perpendicular works just as good, but a tad slower