Drawbacks To Waxworms

averagebehr

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
aFTER FEEDING THE KIDS CRICKETS IM JUST SICK OF THE CRICKET SMELL SO I'VE DECIDED TO SWITCH TO MEALWORMS, ROACHS, SUPERWORMS AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST WAXWORMS. HAVE YET TO USE THEM SO WONDERING IF THE PROTEIN CONTENT COULD BE TO RICH OR OTHER NEGATIVE DRAWBACKS?

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think generally waxworms are considered too fatty for a lot of reptiles and mammals. Since inverts dont store fat in their bodies the same way as vertebrates, i dont think overfeeding is going to be such an issue. They probably arent a complete diet in terms of nutrients though, so i think they are still best used as a supliment rather than a main diet. Mealworms and roaches are excellent at a staple diet, especially the roaches, i think they are the perfect feeder, especially if you manage to get a good culture of some of the non climbing species.

Cheers,

grammostola1953

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wax-worms are extremely fatty & should be offered sparingly to adults, especially Brachys, who have a tendency to become over-weight.(search for my obese B.vagans post!)
I feed more liberally to slings, til they pass 1 1/2", then 1 per month or so, as a treat. ;)

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
grammostola1953 said:
Wax-worms are extremely fatty & should be offered sparingly to adults, especially Brachys, who have a tendency to become over-weight

Hi Grammostola1953,

Invertebrates don't store fat in the same way as vertebrates do, so cases of "fat" tarantulas arent due to a layer of subcutaneous fat as we find in humans and other mammals. Fat tarantulas appear fat because of storage of a large quantity of food in the midgut caeca, much like a ballon full of water. Eating lots of fatty foods isnt going to increase the size of the food storage structure any more than eating non fatty food, as the lipids are not utilised to any great extent. The reasons for fat tarantulas is due to over feeding, and possibly keeping them at sub-optimal temperatures, causing a slow metabolism.

Cheers,