Do's and Don'ts of breeding

Dustynn89

Arachnopeon
can anyone give me insight and tips on breeding? Does the species determine the method? What are the signs I should look for to know that they are ready and capable?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't know what you know so I won't assume. But the 1 thing to be absolutely sure of in breeding is knowing the species/locality of your T and its provenance particularly with specimens that have not been characterized by scientists. If you have even the slightest doubt and breed it that's wrong on so many levels I won't even get it into it. Suffice to say that no responsible T owner, IMO, wants FrankenTs out there contaminating the gene pool.

It would be helpful if you provided what species you were interested in breeding for people to chime in with specific information.

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
Look at the whole process before making your decision . You might lose the male to an unreceptive female . You'll have to build an incubator and be damn careful on the environmental conditions in that incubator as well as eventually ending up with as many as three four maybe five hundred slings that you're going to have to deal with . Keeping that many is a huge burden , selling that many is a huge burden , packing and shipping that many is a huge burden. I suggest heading over to YouTube and watching as many videos as you can then Googling and reading as much as you can and then start to think about breeding . I will say this though I don't mean to dissuade you I think breeding is a great experience

Toddums

Arachnopeon
The TKG says they had success with putting the female in the male enclosure sometimes, but according to everything else I have seen you should put the male in the female's enclosure.

This is my first year keeping t's so I was hoping for some tips from vets as well as I would like to try breeding sometime in the future.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
The TKG says they had success with putting the female in the male enclosure sometimes, but according to everything else I have seen you should put the male in the female's enclosure.

This is my first year keeping t's so I was hoping for some tips from vets as well as I would like to try breeding sometime in the future.
Some swear by having a neutral ground, some swear by putting the male into the female's enclosure, some swear by "shark tanking", etc etc etc

You'll get a million different answers. What works amazingly for some will result in a dead male for others.

cold blood

Staff member
Make sure the female has been fattened up and that she isn't nearing her next molt. The male should also be well fed prior...it will need to have created a sperm web, so you can't just drop a freshly molted male in and expect success.....you also don't want a male that's nearing the end of its life...fresh is better.

I always put the male in with the female and I only pair after dark.

Methods vary between species...some you can put the male in and take him out in the morning, some can actually co-hab...most however, will require you to stand guard and block any potential attack from the female and the male will be removed as soon as the deed is done.

If you put one of these males in and see no activity (drumming), its often best to try again at a future date. Sometimes they get right to it, sometimes you may need to introduce the male several different times before the female is receptive.

It can take a great deal of patience.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
If you plan to breed C.cyaneopubescens, expect some 1.0 "fallen soldier", those females are voracious male eaters lol :)

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
Also go to the breeding report and read up in your species of past matings

Dustynn89

Arachnopeon
I was planning on Gram. Pulchripes. I was told to wait for drumming as well as a molt would indicate them as ready for me. I have P. Regalis with a friend waiting on them currently.