Dormant Scorps in Cold weather

AusBugKid

Arachnosquire
So I'm in Australia, and we are reaching the end of a chilly winter for us, and so my scorps haven't eaten much in a while. All of them are Urodacus, and my U. elongatus went into a sealed burrow a few months ago, as it does every year, and will likely molt before re - emerging in a month or two. Now, what I'm wondering is, do winters affect your scorpions to the same extreme? Would love to know other's experiences with winter hibernation. Let me know species you are talking about and where you are roughly so I can get an idea of winter conditions :)

Mila

Arachnoknight
Well an Australian winter is hotter than a British summer but all the species I keep are from tropical regions without a hibernation sequence so I can't talk from personal experience but sealed burrowing seems perfectly normal

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
So I'm in Australia, and we are reaching the end of a chilly winter for us, and so my scorps haven't eaten much in a while. All of them are Urodacus, and my U. elongatus went into a sealed burrow a few months ago, as it does every year, and will likely molt before re - emerging in a month or two. Now, what I'm wondering is, do winters affect your scorpions to the same extreme? Would love to know other's experiences with winter hibernation. Let me know species you are talking about and where you are roughly so I can get an idea of winter conditions :)
Yes.

During the winter months my H. arizonensis and H. arizonensis pallidus go into a "diapause" period. They seal themselves off towards the end of October and do not re-emerge (or even move much) until the end of March / beginning of April the following Spring.

I keep their water dishes full and leave them to it.

Obviously inside the house it is reasonably warm throughout the winter but I believe it is instinct related that they go into that diapause. Since I am still in the same country / region as their natural habitat they are likely affected by the "atmosphere" of their native range.

AusBugKid

Arachnosquire
Yes.

During the winter months my H. arizonensis and H. arizonensis pallidus go into a "diapause" period. They seal themselves off towards the end of October and do not re-emerge (or even move much) until the end of March / beginning of April the following Spring.

I keep their water dishes full and leave them to it.

Obviously inside the house it is reasonably warm throughout the winter but I believe it is instinct related that they go into that diapause. Since I am still in the same country / region as their natural habitat they are likely affected by the "atmosphere" of their native range.
Interesting that temp doesn't seem to affect it, as it may suggest keeping scorps out of their regular climate won't impact development

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Interesting that temp doesn't seem to affect it, as it may suggest keeping scorps out of their regular climate won't impact development
I have only observed it with this species thus far.
Many owners keep them in far warmer environments with pads and bulbs and such. I keep mine the temps of the room itself which in winter is lower than where most keepers have theirs.

More studies , and species, are needed.

AusBugKid

Arachnosquire
I have only observed it with this species thus far.
Many owners keep them in far warmer environments with pads and bulbs and such. I keep mine the temps of the room itself which in winter is lower than where most keepers have theirs.

More studies , and species, are needed.
Of course more study is needed, unfortunately there isn't much interest in identified species, so much of the data comes from hobbyists. Interesting observation nonetheless