Don't look at pictures...

KenNet

Arachnosquire
Beautiful picture!
I agree with you, subtly coloured species are very attractive.

The attractiveness of a spider (tarantulas included) can never be captured in a single picture.

KenNet

Arachnosquire
You ever look into Phormictopus? Many of the species are medium sized to rather large sized (6" - 8") beasts. They're not that expensive. The males are colorful. Sometimes the females don't look too bad either. They have strong feeding responses. Certain species come out more than others, but in general they come out quite often.
I did try too know more about them before I buy one. I have not seen any of this genus in person, so I can't really give my personal view yet. Sorry. And, yes, they are expensive here! At least compared to most of the other species. Sure, some P. are less expensive than others...but I always have to make a decision from what I want to keep (everything...) and what I can afford.

Predacons5

Arachnosquire
I did try too know more about them before I buy one. I have not seen any of this genus in person, so I can't really give my personal view yet.
Didn't you say you currently own 3 Phormictopus auratus? If you have 3 Phormictopus auratus, then I'd presume you can say something about Phormictopus.

Thanks! A good advice! I have 3 P. auratus that just started to show some of their amazing color and they eat up till the last day before a molt. A very beautiful species indeed that only gets more and more beautiful with every molt. I would like to have more from this genus.
I have a couple of Phormictopus auratus. I do find the slings attractive with their grey-blue legs and their black abdomen with red setae. I cannot wait to see the carapace change colors to bronze!

...And, yes, they are expensive here! At least compared to most of the other species. Sure, some P. are less expensive than others...but I always have to make a decision from what I want to keep (everything...) and what I can afford.
Since you live in another country, I wasn't aware that they could be expensive where you live. In the US, the prices are ok. They are not too expensive and they are not terribly cheap either. The thing is, if you find that Phormictopus are expensive, then Pamphobeteus might be considered expensive to you too. Here in the US, many Pamphobeteus spp. cost more than Phormictopus spp. I'm imagining that there is a similar cost dynamic in Europe as well since many of our T's are imported from Europe. If Pamphobeteus also tend to cost more than Phormictopus in Sweden, then you may have to factor that into whether you should keep Pamphobeteus spp. right now. It is possible you may have to consider waiting until the prices drop to purchase either a Phormictopus or a Pamphobeteus.

Last edited:

KenNet

Arachnosquire
I don't know how this board work yet... I have to do this in the old fashion way... copy and paste...

"Didn't you say you currently own 3 Phormictopus auratus? If you have 3 Phormictopus auratus, then I'd presume you cansay something aboutPhormictopus."

Yes, I did! And I do! And I did!
Maybe I need to add something more: they are gorgeous!

Sorry, I don't understand how this board works yet with quote...

Ahrghhh! Just arghhh! Make it whatever you want...

Last edited by a moderator:

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
Well you could always look at Phormictopus species. The females still look great when mature