1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don't look at pictures...

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Kant, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Kant

Kant Arachnopeon Active Member

Sweden
    Advertisement
    People always give me the advice: don't look at pictures! And I know they're right...

But my latest "wow", is to see the Pamphobeteus sp. nigricolor, mainly from pictures here... Wow! I curretly don't have any Pamphobeteus, and they are not exactly for free here i Europe, so, yes it's a lot of money for me to invest. Sure, it's a lot about "taste"... Is there anything else I should know when it comes to keeping Pamphobeteus? Is the sp. nigricolor a good first Pamphobeteus?

2. TownesVanZandt

TownesVanZandt Arachnoangel Active Member

Norway
    You´re aware that only the males have those flashy, bright colours, no?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Liquifin

Liquifin Arachnodemon Active Member

Pamphobeteus males are the cool vibrant colorful ones and the females are mostly a dark toned color. Not all females are dull colored, but a majority of them are. While I love my P. petersi, I don't understand why they are overly popular. My girl is a great eater, but her hairs are some of the worst I've dealt with since I can actually feel her hairs in her enclosure.

P. sp. Nigricolor isn't the worst for a first Pampho if you done your research and have experience with other T.'s. But I advise that the overhype isn't what it lives up to as people make it. I see my pampho as another A. geniculata with worse hairs.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. mack1855

mack1855 Arachnoknight Arachnosupporter

Ya,i know what ya mean....looking at the new Shelby GT 500..oh your talking T,s.
    Never mind.:rolleyes:.

5. Kant

Sweden
    Good answer and question. Yes, I know that. That's why it makes it so difficult to choose I think the female "machala" is beautiful, but I can't buy a lot of different species "just to find out".

Really? I had no idea! Shelby forum is on another site...(Cobra ) Wish you luck in getting one tho.

Yes, maybe I'm just riding the hype. I don't have any problem with the hairs from any of my T's tho. But it's difficult, since I rarely can see any of the spe

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2019
  6. VanessaS

VanessaS Grammostola Groupie Arachnosupporter

I have a sub-adult fortis female, a sub-adult Ecuador male, and a juvenile platyomma male and I'm not sure what makes them as popular as they are, either... unless it's their size, which they definitely have going for them. Mine are never out in the open, their hairs bother me more than any other species - they're the only ones where I can feel the irritation the minute I open the lid to their enclosure - and they have a mediocre appetite. Most times they won't even eat while I'm watching.
    I wish I held off and just gotten two antinous, or nigricolor, because I do love my big, black, spiders.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Kitara

Kitara Arachnosquire Active Member

US
    Boooooo! I do not like that advice lol. I loooove to look at pictures. Yeah, yeah I want them all, but I'm realistic. Mostly. Usually. Well, I mean, so far. :D

• Like Like x 3
  8. Kant

Sweden
    ... and I just pressed the wrong button.
    Anyway, the A. geniculata is one of my favorite! Beautiful, active and take food anytime.
    I will reconsider my thoughts of buying a Pamphobeteus tho. Maybe I don't "need" that and spend my money on something very much smaller.

Ihhhh... I love to look at pictures too. So much it has empty my wallet and now I have to eat pasta for the rest of the year. And I mean only pasta...no cheese, no ketchup...

• Lollipop Lollipop x 1
  9. Kitara

Kitara Arachnosquire Active Member

US
    Hahahaha @Kant I am literally eating that right now. I just spent another $100 on my Ts today.

• Like Like x 1
  10. EtienneN

EtienneN Arachnonovelist-musician-artist Arachnosupporter

I have a two inch machala unsexed sling and it is absolutely amazing to watch it eat. Not going to lie I kind of want another spider in the genus, like one where the female gets russet brown like the fortis. Part of me wants to get a solaris...but I’m sort of having to “hide” my new spiders now and don’t think I have easy room for another large adult terrestrial enclosure. Maybe I’ll get one when the price comes down.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Predacons5

Predacons5 Arachnopeon Active Member

You ever look into Phormictopus? Many of the species are medium sized to rather large sized (6" - 8") beasts. They're not that expensive. The males are colorful. Sometimes the females don't look too bad either. They have strong feeding responses. Certain species come out more than others, but in general they come out quite often.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Kant

Sweden
    It's worth it tho, don't you think? Pasta is good food. And if I don't buy any Pamphobeteus, I will add both ketchup and cheese next month. What did you get for the $100 you spent?

Thanks! A good advice! I have 3 P. auratus that just started to show some of their amazing color and they eat up till the last day before a molt. A very beautiful spieces indeed that only gets more and more beautiful with every molt. I would like to have more from this genus. Maybe the atrichomatus or any of the green ones if I can find any. The blue "azul" is still out of my range for what I would pay for unsexed slings tho.

13. Urzeitmensch

Urzeitmensch Arachnosquire Active Member

The last time I started browsing a spider online shop with pictures it ended in an order that invalidated every argument I ever made about T-keeping being a cheap hobby ...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  14. Predacons5

I hope you're able to find the ones you want. The Phormictopus species you mentioned are all pretty cool.

Of course, if you still want some Pamphobeteus spp. maybe try one out to see how you like them. Find a species that is relatively inexpensive and you find attractive and see.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Kant

Sweden
    I would like to try this genus, the problem is that if I buy slings, I always have to buy 2 or more... because I want to increase the chance to get a female. But in this case, it's the male that are the most desirable, so maybe it will be enough just to buy one sling to find out if I like this genus or not.

16. Predacons5

Well, I have a couple species of Pamphobeteus (Pamphobeteus insignis and Pamphobeteus ultramarinus). I can tell you that the 2 species I do have are not the kinds where the slings have the Christmas tree patterns on the abdomen. Both species' slings have black abdomens with red setae. Since you are looking at Pamphobeteus sp. nigricolor/Pamphobeteus cf. nigricolor, (the species where the slings have the Christmas tree markings on the abdomen), I don't know if what I'm reporting to you would be entirely accurate. If you are asking about Pamphobeteus nigricolor, (the species where the slings have black abdomens with red setae), then my experience may be closer to what you need to know.

Regardless, I will type out what I have observed so far, since, at the moment, irrespective of sling colors and patterns they are currently in the genus Pamphobeteus...

1. My slings are out quite a bit. I see them often.

2. Their feeding responses are not like that of Phormictopus. These Pamphobeteus do not greedily accept food as readily. I often have to sit and wait to see if they go for the food or not.

3. When they are in pre-molt, they will go off feed for quite a while.

4. After they have molted, it will be about 1.5 to 2 weeks before they accept food.

5. They do not really bolt when startled, but they will hide.

6. They are pretty hardy. None of them have died so far.

7. They are moderately slow growing.

8. I currently personally don't have issues with their urticating hairs. I haven't felt any irritation from them by opening their enclosures so far.

9. I haven't received a threat posture from any of them, nor have I had urticating hairs flicked at me so far.

10. They are diggers.

I hope this helps you a bit. Keep in mind that I have only kept these for only about 1 month, so I can't tell you much other than what I've seen so far of them.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Kant

Sweden
    Thank you Predacons5 for a very nice answer. It is really helpful. I have looked at the two species you have and they are gorgeous too. But unfortunately too expensive for me at the moment.

I see now that the pictures that got my heart beat faster and opened my eyes for this genus was labeled as Pamphobeteus aff. nigricolor II (Colombia) by user babelfish at July 12, 2016 in this thread: http://arachnoboards.com/threads/pamphobeteus.20108/page-45
    (How do I link directly to a specific post?)

Anyway, I have not decided yet what it will be and I have to wait till the end of this month before making a new order.

• Like Like x 1
  18. nicodimus22

nicodimus22 Arachnomancer Arachnosupporter

Maryland
    I have 4 Pamphos: 1 platyomma, 1 antinous, and 2 sp. machalas. I am certainly not an expert, but I can share my experience with them so far.

They all seem to like hanging out over moist substrate. I give them maybe 75% dry sub with a water dish, and maintain a 25% moist area that they can move over if they choose to, and they do prefer it most of the time. Feeding response is usually pretty good, although not quite as over the top as any Phormics or A. geniculata. I have never received a threat pose from any of them. Growth is slower than I read about and expected, but I'm OK with that, since it means more time with them.

Oddly enough, my male P. platyomma (5.75 inches at the moment) has been super reclusive since he molted several months ago. Generally, the bigger tarantulas get, the more they stay out in the open, but not him. I'm hoping that this is just a phase and he'll make a great display T after he molts again. It's like they say...species have tendencies, but individual specimens have their own way of doing things which may or may not line up with those tendencies.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  19. Kant

Sweden
    Thank you nicodimus22 for sharing your experience with those beautiful species. I hope that your platyomma male will be back to show off at his best, and I like what you wrote about individuals "species
    have tendencies, but individual specimens have their own way of doing things which may or may not line up with those tendencies" I couldn't agree more.

Thank you all for your answers and help! Really appreciate it!

I have decided to wait with buying a Pamphobeteus for now, until I can see at least a few species "live" before making up my mind on what will be my first.

Instead I will buy...a very much smaller species that I hope still will be available at the end of the month.

20. VanessaS

VanessaS Grammostola Groupie Arachnosupporter

I'm a big fan of the more subtly coloured, brownish, species as well and fortis fits that description. My girl is an overall tan colour, but has beautiful pinkish/lavender highlights on her carapace that I find difficult to capture with my photos. I have never had a threat posture from any of mine and they rarely even kick hairs. I would consider them a nervous species, though.
    DSC08226-2.jpg

• Like Like x 4