Dolomedes scriptus

wolfs79

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Found a few of these tonight by my local river ranging in size from 2-3" been warm hear past couple weeks usually don't find them this size until late June early July hope they get larger largest scriptus I ever found was 4.25" legspan I will see if I can find a 4.5 inch + by July I will post pics with ruler.

Attachments

wolfs79

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Here's another one kinda strange the white doesn't go all the way across the W pattern which is usually what's separates scriptus from tenebrosus

wolfs79

Arachnolord
Old Timer
both photos are scriptus.
That's what I was figuring thanks for the opinion. Every night I go out I seem to find bigger ones different areas I caught one last night with a 3.5 leg span one got away that was even larger:(

Going out tonight to see if I can find a larger one.

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That's what I was figuring thanks for the opinion. Every night I go out I seem to find bigger ones different areas I caught one last night with a 3.5 leg span one got away that was even larger:(

Going out tonight to see if I can find a larger one.
scriptus rival tenebs in size. i have collected large females with body lengths of 25 mm and 20 cm leg-spans. ID tips: the median lines behind the eyes and the median line running down the middle of the carapace are good field marks to use. Most are grayish in color but dark gray individuals are not uncommon. Also, unlike tenebs, they hop across the water when disturbed @ night and as you mentioned, you are searching large river bank habitat. You will not find scriptus far from water. They require cool moist habitat.

wolfs79

Arachnolord
Old Timer
scriptus rival tenebs in size. i have collected large females with body lengths of 25 mm and 20 cm leg-spans. ID tips: the median lines behind the eyes and the median line running down the middle of the carapace are good field marks to use. Most are grayish in color but dark gray individuals are not uncommon. Also, unlike tenebs, they hop across the water when disturbed @ night and as you mentioned, you are searching large river bank habitat. You will not find scriptus far from water. They require cool moist habitat.

You have caught females with a 7 inch leg span?

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The largest fishing spider I have ever had was a dolomedes okefinokensis she was just shy of 6 inch legspan
oops. No, 4.5 inch legspan tops for script or tenebs that I have seen. vittatus and triton reach 4 + inch legspan as well. okefinokensis are the most impressive. I have seen them in Florida a few times.

wolfs79

Arachnolord
Old Timer
oops. No, 4.5 inch legspan tops for script or tenebs that I have seen. vittatus and triton reach 4 + inch legspan as well. okefinokensis are the most impressive. I have seen them in Florida a few times.

Got this one last night she is about 4" this was the third night of searching and each night they got larger I know it's going to be tough to find a 4" +.

I had a friend years ago who found one it was dead when he showed me but I couldn't believe how large it was it was over 4.5 inches for sure.

Attachments

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Got this one last night she is about 4" this was the third night of searching and each night they got larger I know it's going to be tough to find a 4" +.

I had a friend years ago who found one it was dead when he showed me but I couldn't believe how large it was it was over 4.5 inches for sure.
found this girl May 18th of 2015. 25 mm body length, 4 + inch legspan. she was anchored to tree root with legs stretched out in fast-flowing stream

Attachments

wolfs79

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Keep me posted with pics of you find any extra large ones ! I think I found one over 4" last night don't have pics of her yet or exact measurement.

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Keep me posted with pics of you find any extra large ones ! I think I found one over 4" last night don't have pics of her yet or exact measurement.
Will do. I have to go to specific spots for scriptus. What other spiders are you running across on your nightly outings? tenebs and albineus are common in deciduous forest, vitattus are in cool woodland ravines and along creeks and streams. triton occupy just about every body of water. scriptus is the least common of the Dolomedes in my neck of the woods. But when I do find them , they are the most common species along specific sections of waterways.

wolfs79

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Gosh I want a vittatus bad I think they are rare here I live in south central
Minnesota I am really surprised all the looking I have been doing I haven't come across one now . I may be out of their range.

I usually collect the fishers scriptus Triton
I like the big ones. I sometimes catch yellow and black argiope orb weavers, bold jumping spiders.

I have some hogna carolinensis and a Brazilian wandering spider hopeful she will drop a sac soon she was wild caught but who knows.

wolfs79

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Gosh I want a vittatus bad I think they are rare here I live in south central
Minnesota I am really surprised all the looking I have been doing I haven't come across one now . I may be out of their range.

I usually collect the fishers scriptus Triton
I like the big ones. I sometimes catch yellow and black argiope orb weavers, bold jumping spiders.

I have some hogna carolinensis and a Brazilian wandering spider hopeful she will drop a sac soon she was wild caught but who knows.

You must be in Florida? That makes sense scriptus are not very common there.

Sometimes I wonder if the okefinokensis are a natural hybrid between a tenebrosus and a scriptus only reason I say that is if you were to mix their pattern together it would look like okefinokensis more than likely not though, just an fun opinion.

wolfs79

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I blended a scriptus and a tenebrosus together with some software the outcome is interesting kinda tricky to do but fun.

Attachments

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I blended a scriptus and a tenebrosus together with some software the outcome is interesting kinda tricky to do but fun.
Cool software result. I talked to a Dolomedes researcher out of TX and she believes it is possible that teneb and okefinok's should be put in a genus of their own. Na, I am some 700 miles north of Florida. carolinensis are awesome. I have only found them in sandy pine woods in northern Michigan. I have kept Ctenus captiosus wandering spiders but no Phoneutria for me. Dolomedes striatus is in Minnesota. That would be a jewel to find.

wolfs79

Arachnolord
Old Timer
So does striatus get to be somewhat good size what makes them a gem?