Dog help needed.

bluerich74

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My girlfriend has an 11 year old male dalmation.He has some arthritis in his hips and he has a a chronic cough.Hes on thyroid medicine.The problem is at night.Every 2 hours or maybe even less hes wanting either to go out or to eat or drink.Shes always up with him and doesnt get much sleep.He will go out then he thinks he has to be fed or get water.She does.I think she spoiled him into this pattern.I believe him drinking too much water is the problem.He has a large water bowl,probably over a quart and she fills it and he will drink it all each time.What do you guys think about this.Thank you.

Aurelia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sounds like kidneys are going, he needs to get checked by a vet....

skar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Agreed with above posts - plus 11 years is not young for a dog of that size.

bluerich74

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes we know hes getting old for a dalmation and hes been to the vet regularly.

skar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
He's older when your old your body needs more . . . Attention and tlc.
personally I would take it as a grain of salt and spoil him for awhile.

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Dalmatians are highly prone to genetic kidney disorders; as many as one in four will experience kidney failure at some point in their lives due to the buildup of uric acid crystals that block the ducts in the kidneys and the ureters leading to the bladder, so the dog really needs to be checked by a vet. Even though he's been seen regularly, this should be considered an emergency. On top of that, many of the meds given for arthritis are cortosteroids, which cause increased appetite, increased thirst and of course, frequent urination. If kidney problems are ruled out, then your girlfriend needs to work on getting the dog on a schedule, feeding him only at a certain time of day, and probably needs to consider crating him at night. The thing is, is SHE going to pay heed to advice that YOU asked for, or is she simply going to continue doing as she's doing?

pitbulllady

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Could be any one of a number of things, or a combination of: kidneys, adrenals (Cushing's Disease), Cognitive Dysfunction, Diabetes (either mellitus or isipidus), etc. The chronic cough could also be an issue: laryngeal paralysis (often accompanies chronic hypothyroidism), collapsing trachea, mega-esophagus, heartworm disease, pulmonary neoplasia, etc.

Bottom line- he needs an in-depth visit to the veterinarian.