Does this guy look small enough to squeeze out?

cold blood

Staff member
My scenario is quite different than @cold blood's. The holes were suspect, not enormous. At best, the carapace would be able to fit through. The original holes are nowhere near large enough for the entirety of the spider to get stuck, perhaps only a leg or two. But I'll still avoid the tape in the future.
I think you misunderstood...it was a vent hole...just as you describe....suspect, but not enormous by any stretch...It is baffling that it could get everything pinned through such a seemingly small hole...but it did. The body wasn't stuck...just every appendage.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Aye. I read. But that reads like you're going to leave the 100 slings with the tape and not do it again.
Well at this point they're all much larger. Wouldn't be able to fit a leg through the original hole, let alone several appendages. And yes, they're all due for a rehouse, I know...

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Well at this point they're all much larger. Wouldn't be able to fit a leg through the original hole, let alone several appendages. And yes, they're all due for a rehouse, I know...
Haven't seen you on youtube in a while. Would you mind snapping a few collection pics for us? Sounds like it's grown alot..

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Haven't seen you on youtube in a while. Would you mind snapping a few collection pics for us? Sounds like it's grown alot..
I miss doing YouTube, but it's just so damn time consuming. And my stock is actually a bit low right now, I've sold just about everything I bought in my last few batches. I'm on the prowl for another large purchase(s) before the expo in March so I actually have some variety to sell. I usually have another full shelf of slings/juvies (not shown), but it currently only holds a few MM's. My area has proven to be in high demand for tarantulas, surprisingly. I'd be selling a lot more on the boards if the weather would calm down a bit over on the East side of the country.

Excuse the mess, I've got a laundry list of small chores to do around here. Reglue some magnets, add locking hinges, make room on the shelves so I don't have to use the top shelf, on and on and on.

IMG_2273.JPG
---
IMG_2274.JPG
---
IMG_2275.JPG

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
I used hot glue to cover up part of the hole in one of my plastic enclosures and that seemed to do the trick okay, I was also able to chip it off later too.

Oooo I get paranoid about them getting out! Better to be safe than sorry. Besides, I'm pretty sure if one of my Ts got out, my marriage would be over, so I am pretty careful about this- ugh! We all have our breaking points, I suppose.

I use a drill with a teeny bit in it for my smaller sling enclosures and it works well. I have done the safety pin trick before of heating it up to poke holes. I did that with some thicker plastic enclosures. It was a real pain in the butt, took forever, and smelled awful. It really wigged out my blind dog too, he didn't like the smell either. I do not want to do again.

For the really small slings, the condiment cup with simple poked holes with a thumb take or pin works just fine (the @cold blood enclosure!).

ThisMeansWAR

Arachnosquire
I made the mistake of making the holes in the deli cup just 1 mm too wide and I woke up to a tiny B. boehmei sling half way out of the hole. Poor thing had gotten stuck, the carapace was through but the abdomen was a bit too fat. If it wasn't so terrifying it would almost be comical, looking at the chubster and thinking "well, I guess you feel like an idiot right now". Luckily I managed to carefully nudge (push) it back in, one leg at a time. It is now my biggest and healthiest sling so there's a happy ending. But moral of the story - don't underestimate our houdini's!

basin79

ArachnoGod
I've got these great little white plastic beads that melt with boiling water. You can then mould the plastic like putty. I've used them to cover over a lid that was too vented and to stick a sling pot to the side of an enclosure for my Hyllus diardi.

It's a fantastic product. Bought it off Amazon.