Does My Sling Look Big In This?

KeiraJ

Arachnopeon
Someone told me today that my Versi sling looks fat and I should put them on a diet.

They have refused food for around 3 weeks now and I believe they are in premolt.

I am concerned though that I have been overfeeding without realising.

Would love some people with more experience to weigh in.

Btw this little one is around 4cm

IMG_20180213_132216_703.jpg

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
This one should be in premoult, yes. Luckily you cannot overfeed slings, so you can just feed them as much as they would like to eat. The result will just be more frequent moults and faster growth.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Probably nothing to worry about.
But holy cow you must have a good camera, picture quality is amazing.

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
Someone told me today that my Versi sling looks fat and I should put them on a diet.

They have refused food for around 3 weeks now and I believe they are in premolt.

I am concerned though that I have been overfeeding without realising.

Would love some people with more experience to weigh in.

Btw this little one is around 4cm

View attachment 266288
Sling looks very healthy to me. Question though - what is that grass? Is that something artificial you glued to cork bark? It looks really great!

KeiraJ

Arachnopeon
Sling looks very healthy to me. Question though - what is that grass? Is that something artificial you glued to cork bark? It looks really great!
It's an artificial moss type growth on the 'vines' creating a more natural looking rainforest look

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
It's an artificial moss type growth on the 'vines' creating a more natural looking rainforest look
OK... artificial moss. I will have to look for some of that. I really love the look! Thanks for the info. :)

Belegnole

Tarantula Guy
Old Timer
@KeiraJ I believe that the current consensus is that you cannot feed them more than they will eat. However it is believed that "overfeeding" ie feeding lots and often can cause accelerated growth but with some detriments. If I remember accurately there have been reports of reduced lifespan and smaller adult size. This said I do not believe that any accurate scientific study has been done related to feeding. All evidence is anecdotal from keepers.

As to your T...VERY healthy looking. One might even say "plump in the trunk". Though I don't know your feeding schedule you could probably get away with feeding less or less often. I don't see evidence of being in premolt, but I would bet it happens soon.

KeiraJ

Arachnopeon
@KeiraJ I believe that the current consensus is that you cannot feed them more than they will eat. However it is believed that "overfeeding" ie feeding lots and often can cause accelerated growth but with some detriments. If I remember accurately there have been reports of reduced lifespan and smaller adult size. This said I do not believe that any accurate scientific study has been done related to feeding. All evidence is anecdotal from keepers.

As to your T...VERY healthy looking. One might even say "plump in the trunk". Though I don't know your feeding schedule you could probably get away with feeding less or less often. I don't see evidence of being in premolt, but I would bet it happens soon.
I thought as much myself. There is much contentiousness in whether overfeeding is a thing. I have simply taken my lead from my T. If they eat then they are hungry etc.

I say they are in premolt as they have become a lot less active and have refused food for a while. There is also a slight yellow coloration on their rump which can't be seen in this photo.

I agree they seem very settled though