Does anyone know what this is? Found it under a pile of clothes(SW FLORIDA)

Daniel266jz

Arachnopeon
I found this spider today I am not sure if it’s a type of tarantula but I’d like to keep it and it it to my collection instead of letting it go? Any ideas? Or should I release to the wild?

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
I am the last person who should be posting on an identification thread, but it looks like some sort of wolf spider to me, but again i could be very wrong, but one thing for sure is that is definitely not a tarantula

Mentat Ix

Arachnopeon
Nice wolf spider. I've found them here in Texas bigger than some tarantulas.

I'm pretty sure there are bunch of different species, though, and I can't narrow it down any further than that. :p Maybe its a Lycosa tarantula?

Daniel266jz

Arachnopeon
Nice wolf spider. I've found them here in Texas bigger than some tarantulas.

I'm pretty sure there are bunch of different species, though, and I can't narrow it down any further than that. :p Maybe its a Lycosa tarantula?
Thank you. Any info on how to keep them? It’s probably the one keeping my ant population in my house down lol

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Looks like a wolf spider, at night their eyes glow in the dark when you shine light into them, like certain mammals. It's due to special structure in their eyes. It's the equivalent of night vision goggles. Believe part of the name is "something" tectum, maybe optic, don't recall.

The wolf

Arachnolord
Lycosa taranula only exist in Europe I don't know what it is either I'm not to good at American lycosidae

Daniel266jz

Arachnopeon
I let him go he was in a stress position for over 8 hours and I didn’t want to end up killing the little guy so I drove to our nearest nature walk and released him there to avoid any pesticide

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Looks like a wolf spider, at night their eyes glow in the dark when you shine light into them, like certain mammals. It's due to special structure in their eyes. It's the equivalent of night vision goggles. Believe part of the name is "something" tectum, maybe optic, don't recall.
That reflective layer is called the tapetum lucidum.

I like to go out on warm, dry nights and spot wolf spiders with a flashlight. (If you hold the flashlight at eye level, in a suitable habitat, it will look like the ground is strewn with glittering gems, each of which is a wolf spider's eyes. The brightest-looking spots are usually the largest individuals.)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That reflective layer is called the tapetum lucidum.

I like to go out on warm, dry nights and spot wolf spiders with a flashlight. (If you hold the flashlight at eye level, in a suitable habitat, it will look like the ground is strewn with glittering gems, each of which is a wolf spider's eyes. The brightest-looking spots are usually the largest individuals.)
Yes Lucidum.... I couldn't be bothered looking it up again. I figured if someone really wants to know I provided plenty of info for them.

JFaustus

Arachnopeon
I believe that is a male Hogna carolinensis. I encounter plenty of them where I live.

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
I found this spider today I am not sure if it’s a type of tarantula but I’d like to keep it and it it to my collection instead of letting it go? Any ideas? Or should I release to the wild?
that is a hogna carolinensis and it is one of if not the best starter true spider. its like haveing a mini T that almost never refuses food