Does anyone know about frogs?

Giant Asian mantis lover

Arachnosquire
Hi there, I’m thinking about getting frog for a gift, a starter frog, and the person I’m getting it for really likes the look of a giant African bullfrog, so i was going to get one? Is this the best starter?

basin79

ArachnoGod
Hi there, I’m thinking about getting frog for a gift, a starter frog, and the person I’m getting it for really likes the look of a giant African bullfrog, so i was going to get one? Is this the best starter?
Ask a mod to move this to the right section. "Not so spineless wonders". It'll get more traffic.

They're easy enough to care for. The only "problem" with them is the amount of food an adult needs. Once they get to a fair size I'd highly recommend the owner sets up a breeding colony of dubia roaches. The adult male I used to own could polish off 20 adult dubia roaches in a single sitting.

They'll also take mice/rats/chicks as treats. But inverts should make up the majority of their diet. Make no mistake an adult male pixie is an amazing sight and a lot of frog.

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I agree completely with @basin79, and would add that there are quite a few other easy starter frogs that require different food sources, if your friend does not want to, or cannot commit to, breeding roaches.

Here are a couple I have experience with:
Xenopus laevis, the African clawed frog, is completely aquatic, and does not even need live food. It can live its whole life on good quality pellets, though it will readily eat live foods as well. They can get moderately large for a frog, though nowhere near the size of an African bullfrog. They are nearly bulletproof, long-lived...but they are not legal in all states. One or maybe two, can live happily in a 20-gallon long aquarium. It has no need for a heater. Room temps are fine.
The frogs will learn to beg for food when they see you approach.

The dwarf African clawed frog is similar to the African clawed frog in many ways, but much smaller. It too can eat pellets, though live food is appreciated. It does not live as long, but can still live a number of years. These tend to be legal in more areas.

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
I really wouldn't recommend giving somebody a pet like that as a gift if they're not ready for it - frogs can be expensive and difficult, especially for somebody not prepared to take one on. Do you know for sure that they are?

TylerFishman5675

Arachnosquire
Yeah but with clawed frogs you have to be on top of water chemistry and you’d have to cycle the tank and all that stuff, I’d reccomend Pac-Man frogs, they are pet rocks and eating machines, I’d reccomend those

Dovey

Arachnobaron
If you do give them the Giant African frog, promise me we're not going to see cringey videos of it eating live mice and the like. There's enough of that kind of nastiness in the world, as it is!

Dovey

Arachnobaron
Venom1080: laugh all you want, monkey boy. I'm serious! :beaver:

Last edited: