1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone cover their tarantulas when it gets cold?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by SkittleBunny, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Devin B

Devin B Arachnoknight Active Member

Advertisement
    After thinking about this overnight I've come to the conclusion that you're right. I guess I forgot how easy it is for a human to adapt to colder temperature. I can see now that at twmps where Im comfortable it would be a little chilly for a Tarantula, so for now one im going to keep my house in the upper 60's to mid 70's in the winter. Thank you for opening my eyes.
    The only thing I think your wrong about is that I dont think its lazy to keep the temp down, I think its more selfish than lazy.

• Lollipop Lollipop x 1
  2. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoking Active Member

Good to know. Happy to help.

Lazy, selfish.. take your pick I suppose.

3. Devin B

Ive changed my mind about my temps after considering it overnight. I realized that im comfortable at a much lower temperature than most. I often am wearing shorts and a T-shirt in the mid 60's.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Devin B

I've only been keeping T's for just over a year so I still have a bunch to learn :).

5. Mila

Mila Arachnoknight Active Member

i keep my t's in a container with water and an aquarium heater that heats the water and keeps the T's warm. my collection is too small for a space heater and im too poor to turn heating on until im buried 6ft in snow;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoking Active Member

I think we all do. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Shampain88

Shampain88 Arachnomental Arachnosupporter

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. SkittleBunny

SkittleBunny Arachnopeon

TX
    Does a gravid female T need to stay warm consistantly to produce eggs? I'm worried about her its my first breeding project

9. Deb60

Deb60 Arachnosquire

I’ve keep some of my Ts ( and Mantis ) on top of my Bearded Dragons viv , and this seems to keep the temperature abit higher there for them.

10. basin79

basin79 Arachnoprince Active Member

I know some of my T's regularly stay near the heat mat on the side/back of their enclosure if it's chilly. So whilst they might be fully capable of taking advantage of a wide range of temperatures I feel they definitely have a preferred temperature.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Shampain88

Shampain88 Arachnomental Arachnosupporter

That's a good question, I know with African Ts the colder wet season urges the males to go on the hunt for a female
    Maybe so but they're never going to be too cold in a house are they? Hehe

12. basin79

basin79 Arachnoprince Active Member

Probably not. But it comes down to the same old. They eat and breed etcetera so they must be fine.

It's like the whole rack system for royal pythons. They breed and eat so what's the problem?

Any animal will try to survive & breed. It's their drive. I'm not typing a tarantula is harmed with not having a certain amount of heat. But then I am typing that just because a tarantula goes about it's business doesn't mean it's entirely comfortable too.

13. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX Arachnoemperor Active Member

I think that those kind of debates will never ends, period. 'best substrate'; 'humidity'; 'temperature'; 'handling'.

I love how much people, often, feel the need for complicate easy things. I'm not talking about people (or someone in particular) here, but in general.

- 'moist' substrate becomes or 'wet like a pool', or 'bone dry' (maybe with inside an 'Haplo') for the fear to add room temperature water in the substrate because "it's too wet". Almost no one consider the geographical climatic area of the keeper: like I love to say always, as an example, "my bone dry" isn't @EulersK one, for that he lives in a desert, so he needs to act different, same inverts talking.

- The substrate issue, as if that particular brand of Topsoil is necessarily always better than Irish moss peat or coco fiber (despite the fact that coco fiber doesn't look 'natural', but this is a detail and nothing else).

- The temperature issue, I've heard here stories from a Mr. Freeze's 'play room' to 'Inferno's beach', when a bit of logic says that if 'you' can offer a Day time temperature (in Winter, I'm talking only about Winter) of 23/24° C, you are fine, no matter. A night time 'low' drop of 19/20° C never harmed no one with 8 or more legs. With those temperatures I always kept (and keep) my - venomous - inverts, and last year my S.subspinipes gave birth to her brats (by far packed and shipped, now) without issues.

My advice is 'don't get mad'.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Award Award x 1
  14. Mvtt70

Mvtt70 Arachnopeon

This post was really so brain dead I had to reply... You said this like its a fact, "Ive read in here that if you're comfortable then your T's are as well. Im comfortable in the mid to high 60's." Like bro if I'm an eskimo and I could be cozy in 40 degrees Fahrenheit but obviously the spider isn't lol.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. Paul1126

Paul1126 Arachnosquire Active Member

I got a plugin thermostat to control my space heater better, the only problem is there is no way I'm going to leave it running if I'm not in my flat.

16. Devin B

Let me make a few things clear.
    Im not an eskimo
    Your not an eskimo
    My house isnt 40°F
    Nobody is comfortable at 40°F withoit a jacket or something along those lines.
    My tarantulas didnt have a change in behavior
    If you read the rest of your posts you would know that the issue has been resolved.

Hopefully this cleared some stuff up for you. If you still have questions feel free to ask.