1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone cover their tarantulas when it gets cold?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by SkittleBunny, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Shampain88

Shampain88 Arachnomental Arachnosupporter

Advertisement
    Yeah that's the common consensus, I'm in a cold country and I do blast heat at night when it's really cold but it could be a waste of time as I've never seen ANY change in behaviour hot or cold... :)

2. Devin B

Devin B Arachnoknight Active Member

I also haven't noticed any change in behavior. They still eat every feeding day (unless premolt of course) and I love in a cold part of my country, in fact it just snowed today.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Devin B

Devin B Arachnoknight Active Member

All of my T's are arid yes. I dont know what you mean by "good sized" mainly because this can vary drastically between species so I dont know if this means 40% full grown or 99% full grown. Also to be as clear as possible my house is only this cold at night during the colder part of the year. During the day my house is in the mid 60's to low 70's.

I havent noticed any behavior changes in any of them due to the temp. so I still dont really understand why its sad. With the general consensus being if your comfortable then so are your T's I didnt think 3°F out of my confort zone would be a big deal for a few hours

• Award Award x 1
  4. SkittleBunny

SkittleBunny Arachnopeon

TX
    I'm looking into it! :angelic:
    It at least ceased drafts, lol...:shame:

• Lollipop Lollipop x 1
  5. SkittleBunny

SkittleBunny Arachnopeon

TX
    This morning the house was 59F

6. cold blood

cold blood ArachnoGod Active Member

How??? You are in TX, right? My heat was lowered last night as it always is, outside temps were in the teens, my home was still 7 degrees warmer than your Texas home? errr, tent maybe.

Y'all southerners should know that good windows and insulation is just as critical for keeping things warm as they are for keeping things cool when the AC is on.

The same people that leave the AC run constantly all spring and summer refuse to use the same energy to keep things warm when it gets cool. :hilarious: Heat is far more important than AC as well, heat doesn't make people sick (well, heat stroke does...hehe), the cold has that effect in dramatic fashion (not to mention people freeze to death more than they cook to death by a long shot).

If your home was 59, you want it 59...lol, or you would turn on the heat like a normal person.:hilarious::hilarious:

Good luck keepin' them warm skittle, those temps are indeed too low...if you have slings, forgetaboutit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. SkittleBunny

SkittleBunny Arachnopeon

TX
    My grandmother is letting me borrow a space heater until I can get one fortunately! It will warm a corner pretty well. It is the coldest room in the house for some reason, maybe it is the lack of electronics. It had just now started getting cold at night around here. It's 70's during the day.

8. Ungoliant

Ungoliant Arachnoprince Active Member

Them's fightin' words around here. (Whether the AC should be turned on during the spring or fall is the one thing that is guaranteed to cause an argument here.)

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Paul1126

Paul1126 Arachnosquire Active Member

So much conflicting information, I'm super paranoid about the cold killing off my Ts so I don't let my room drop below 20c.
    I blast my heater for an hour in the morning and night for an hour and generally stays stable at 20c.
    I'm going to a wedding in December so I think I will buy a plugin timer or thermostat, but I'm paranoid my flat will burn to the ground.

I live a life of panic and worry. Help me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  10. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX Arachnoemperor Active Member

:( <-- Sad Butters (South Park) face

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Chris LXXIX

"colder" T's are sluggish, too much hot boil them. Which is worst?

Cold temperatures, unless we are talking about Mr. Freeze's room, aren't that much of an issue, especially for hardy species juve/adults T's.

Yeah, if you keep 'tropicals' (or certain pretty delicate species, especially as slings) it's not exactly the best and 'you' need to review the whole thing.

But 20° C? Not what I'd love to offer in Winter (Day temperature, I mean) but not even a tragedy, uh.

12. Paul1126

What would you offer in winter?
    I have x2 brachypelma slings (vagans, boehmei)
    X7 Juvs/Sub adult (Klassi, Boehmei, Hamorii, GBB, Emilia, kahlenbergi and sabulosum.)

13. Chris LXXIX

The T's you mentioned aren't for me delicate genus/species at all. I keep (and always kept) in Winter my T's/inverts at 23/24° C Day, Night at 20° C max.

No issues.

14. Paul1126

Sounds good to me

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Chris LXXIX

Yes it is :)

16. Paul1126

Do you use space heater and a plugin thermostat control?

17. Chris LXXIX

No, never used those. Just normal house heathing :)

Here in Northern Italy Winters are pretty colder but not anywhere near Norway, Germany, Canada, the Northern part of the U.S etc

18. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoking Active Member

As in not slings. Over 2". And even then that varies in what you own.

I'm not surprised they're not dying or anything. These are hardy creatures. But please don't get into tropical spiders like Avics and Lampropelma.

Pushing the limit on how cold you can keep an animal to save a few bucks is lazy. No way around it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Shampain88

Shampain88 Arachnomental Arachnosupporter

Artificial heat is a thing I'm defo wary of because it's dry heat, winter is a time when I focus on keeping moisture plentiful what with central heating etc... I'm not sure any T needs it tbh but that's just my opinion... My house is kept warm in winter so I never worry but I'm sure the temp must drop to 60 in the early hours... I think if you give CB Ts a yearly cycle of hot and colder months then that's more natural than keeping temps fairly constant imo... Temp shouldn't be much of a worry unless it's ridiculously cold in winter... Take this video from Mr Hicken, not saying the T was comfy but it kinda proves my point :)

20. Poec54

Poec54 Arachnoemperor Active Member

USA

60 is too cold for some, especially if they're near a door or window. For low elevation tropicals daytime highs are best in the mid 70's or higher to get their metabolisms up, which impacts their appetites and growth rates. The 'If you're comfortable, they're comfortable' is too simplistic and not applicable across-the-board. Humans are comfortable at different temps. People up north are comfortable at cooler temps than most southerners. What's comfortable for a Canadian is very different than for a Floridian. Being w/c or captive bred isn't really a factor, as their preferred temps are genetically set; they haven't been in captivity enough generations for that to have changed.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Award Award x 1