Does anyone cover their tarantulas when it gets cold?

SkittleBunny

Arachnosquire
I have my enclosures stacked on a table in a room. The house gets cold at night, and I tossed a lightweight blanket (one of those fleece ones) over them and I was wondering if it will make a difference. I don't have a space heater, all I have is a heating pad but I don't use it since I've read it's not good for T's. I could put them in a closet with the heating pad on the wall, not touching any enclosures but would it warm the whole closet up or just waste energy? I especially want to keep my possibly gravid b.albo warm. Has anyone else tried covering them?

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
No, it won´t make a difference, I´m afraid. Tarantulas don´t generate heat like we do so a blanket won´t keep them warm.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Lol... No, sorry.

Insulation keeps heat in. If there's no heat to begin with, it's there for decoration.

Devin B

Arachnobaron
Out of curiosity, how cold does your house get at might. I turn the heat down to 60°F at night to save energy and my T's do great.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
The only benefit to covering them I could possibly see is that it would prevent cooler drafts from getting at them. Other then that, covering them won't increase the ambient temperature.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
I could put them in a closet with the heating pad on the wall, not touching any enclosures but would it warm the whole closet up or just waste energy?
I suppose you would run the risk of burning the house down in the process if you do that without a thermostat. In theory you can place your enclosures into a larger enclosure and attach a heatpad to that. That would create secondary heat and could work (in theory). But, a space heater would be your best option IMO.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I live in a warm country and what is that. Does NASA sell those?
It is a small heater that is used to warm up a single room. It plugs into the wall and you set it for what temperature you want the room to be and it regulates it accordingly.

What is the temperature at night?

Last edited:

StampFan

Arachnodemon
I have my enclosures stacked on a table in a room. The house gets cold at night, and I tossed a lightweight blanket (one of those fleece ones) over them and I was wondering if it will make a difference. I don't have a space heater, all I have is a heating pad but I don't use it since I've read it's not good for T's. I could put them in a closet with the heating pad on the wall, not touching any enclosures but would it warm the whole closet up or just waste energy? I especially want to keep my possibly gravid b.albo warm. Has anyone else tried covering them?
Please define "cold at night". What temperature? My experience is what some countries consider a cold night are quite balmy to the rest of us (says the Canadian).

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Be careful with low temps with slings, and low elevation tropicals of any age. I lost some adult/subadult Cyriopagopus when my space heater broke in the middle of the night and the room got down to 60 degrees. If your room is cool/cold at night, keep the cages as high from the floor as you can, and keep the substrate a little drier than you normally do. The combination of being wet and low temps can be deadly, as they are to almost all animals and plants. In the wild some tarantulas live through cool/cold winters, but they're in burrows underground (usually sealed in when it's cold), and there's heat radiating from the ground. Even though the air temp may be in 40's or less for US species, the underground retreat will be noticeably warmer. Don't think that they can take 40 degrees in your house just because they can in the wild.

cold blood

Staff member
What you should do IMO is to get a large tub or aquarium big enough to put all your ts into...heat that with the heat pad. This turns the direct heat (bad) into a secondary heat (good).

Shampain88

Arachnosquire
@Venom1080 I don't understand why you rated my post as sad. Would you clarify please?
He's an elitist, don't mind him... If your Ts are CB then I don't see 60 at night being derogatory, might eat less during the colder months but if you have hot summers then I don't see the problem...

Devin B

Arachnobaron
He's an elitist, don't mind him... If your Ts are CB then I don't see 60 at night being derogatory, might eat less during the colder months but if you have hot summers then I don't see the problem...
Oh don't worry I've noticed.

To be clear my house is only 60°F in the late fall and winter. Also its only that cold night, during the day its in the high 60's to low 70's at the. Ive read in here that if you're comfortable then your T's are as well. Im comfortable in the mid to high 60's.