1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does any still keep Trapdoor Spiders

Discussion in 'True Spiders & Other Arachnids' started by Venom100, Feb 19, 2019.

1. beetleman

beetleman Arachnoking Old Timer

Advertisement
    hey,,,,,,,,,,when ya gotta ya gotta, that's if its still avail

• Like Like x 1
  2. beetleman

beetleman Arachnoking Old Timer

thanks for the tip:)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hydrophilus

Hydrophilus Arachnopeon Arachnosupporter

• Like Like x 1
  4. ThorsWebb

ThorsWebb Arachnopeon Active Member

Sweden
    Got my Liphistius ornatus a couple of weeks ago. I think...it was so small I could hardly see it.
    I put her in a sling cup with a premade burrow where she went into at once. A few hours later she had already made the door. Impressive! First time I feed her I saw the door open and the prey disappear. Can't wait for her to grow bigger! Do they grow relatively quick?
    While not being a trapdoor, I have my I. mira to watch until then. She's out every evening and night, sitting with the door as a hat. Cute.

I. mira.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  5. basin79

basin79 Arachnoemperor Active Member

My speed demon came as a tiny, tiny sling feeding on hatchling crickets. Wasn't too long that she moulted a few times and didn't look so delicate.

• Like Like x 1
  6. basin79

The first 18 seconds of this video is of my Liphistius cf ornatus. It's the same video I posted on my dedicated spider thread recently.

• Like Like x 2
  7. ThorsWebb

Sweden
    Beautiful! I've seen your vids on this one, it's the reason I got my self one! Thank you!

I bought mine as Liphistius ornatus, but I see that you put "cf". Are there several variants?

• Like Like x 1
  8. basin79

I bought mine under the name Liphistius cf ornatus so that's just the name I use.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Patherophis

Patherophis Arachnobaron Active Member

Thyropoeus mirandus is incredible :jawdrop: Getting high on my wishlist.
    @ThorsWebb It is probably wise to use cf. considering how low is chance that pettrade Liphistius were reliably identified. To by honest, many many animals in pet trade would likely deserve cf. or even sp. label ...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. ThorsWebb

Sweden
    Ok, thanks for the advice. I will use "cf" too until she is big enough to identify correctly, if it's even possible to do.

11. TrapdoorSpiderLover

TrapdoorSpiderLover Arachnosquire Active Member

12. Philth

Philth N.Y.H.C. Arachnosupporter

Cyclocosmia latusicosta, these are what are really being imported these days under the incorrect ID as Cyclocosmia ricketti. As far as I've seen, Cyclocosmia ricketti have never been in the U.S. However I have some of these available if any trap door fans are looking for one.
    81619.jpg

Later, Tom

• Like Like x 2
  13. TrapdoorSpiderLover

TrapdoorSpiderLover Arachnosquire Active Member

How about the ones i got? are those ricketti or latusicosta? i put a pic earlier in this thread

14. Philth

Philth N.Y.H.C. Arachnosupporter

They are all latusicoata, same as when they were imported
    Years ago.

Later, Tom

15. MoranDisciple

MoranDisciple Arachnosquire Active Member

PA
    So you're telling me I got ripped off:arghh: 20190811_170424.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Arthroverts

Arthroverts Arachnobaron Active Member

So, what do the real ricketti look like then? How do we differentiate them from latusicosta?

Thanks,

Arthroverts

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1