Does a T. get bigger the bigger the encloser is?

aracnophiliac

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
:confused: :confused: I have Provided my T.s with alot....I mean a lot... of space.I Have all my T.s in Large fish tanks and my T.Blondie in a 45 Gallon Tank. I have done this because I Thought she will get bigger and be happyier in a bigger space. I was wondering if it is true or un true. Does it effects the way she grows and her temperment? If I switch all my T.s to smaller tanks will the be unhappy? Will they stop growing?:confused: :confused:

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
:confused: :confused: I have Provided my T.s with alot....I mean a lot... of space.I Have all my T.s in Large fish tanks and my T.Blondie in a 45 Gallon Tank. I have done this because I Thought she will get bigger and be happyier in a bigger space. I was wondering if it is true or un true. Does it effects the way she grows and her temperment? If I switch all my T.s to smaller tanks will the be unhappy? Will they stop growing?:confused: :confused:
Ts are not fish, they do not grow larger because of the size of their enclosure. Blondis like to have lots of space to wander. Pet holes seem to care less about whether anything is larger than simply enough for their burrow. It varies from species to species and with the size of a T (the obvious, a sling will need less space than an adult).

--the nature boy

scottyk

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ts are not fish, they do not grow larger because of the size of their enclosure.
Just FYI, that's not true for fish either in a direct sense. They will grow until the water volume can't support them biologically. They will then get sick and die, which will certainly stop their growth :)

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They will grow until the water volume can't support them biologically. They will then get sick and die, which will certainly stop their growth :)
If you urinate in their tanks it kills them off pretty quick too.

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I can see how you might ask this if you have worked with snakes before. I had the oposite discovery when I went from Ts to other types of pets I found that I started off keeping other animals in cages that were to small. The Ts ive kept have been very happy in smaller enclosures. By happy I mean no signs of stress. {D

aracnophiliac

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have many Pythons

I do Keep Pythons and When you give them a Larger Habitat they grow bigger and are much happier where i cant tell if the T. are happier or more comfortable

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I do Keep Pythons and When you give them a Larger Habitat they grow bigger
Snakes do not grow based on the size of the enclosure. Fish do not grow based on the size of the enclosure. Tarantulas do not grow based on the size of the enclosure. No animal does.

An animal's going to grow as big as it's going to grow unless it's underfed, sick, or kept in a space *so* undersized for it that it becomes deformed (like a two-foot fish in a 1x1 tank or something).

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
(like a two-foot fish in a 1x1 tank or something).
that reminds me of those kitten in a bottle things horrible. did any one ever see that?

Anyways I think as a pet keeper the idea of enclosure size and animals growing as big as they possibly can does have something to it. Im not overly educated in snakes but Ive been told that many times regarding my bal python and I think in captivity it does work that way. If someone could show some proper proof otherwise I think that would be great but untell then its just opinioni on both sides. I would love to know the actual answer.

T_DORKUS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think bigger enclosures are better for inexperienced keepers. Gives the T a better chance to survive errors made by the keeper. Keep an enclosure too hot and the T has a better chance of moving to a cooler spot before they dehydrate. Same thing with feeding too much and not cleaning the enclosure. The T will have room to avoid uneaten prey items or dead ones that turn moldy.

ETA: Not saying anyone who gives a big enclosure to their T's is a noob- just that there are advantages to having bigger enclosures.

clam1991

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
that reminds me of those kitten in a bottle things horrible. did any one ever see that?
please elaborate?:eek: :?

and yeah i just learned recently that fish do grow until they cant survive on the eco system so that was pretty cool to find out
but an animal does not grow more because of their enclosure size

thats like saying people will grow taller in a bigger house:rolleyes:

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
please elaborate?:eek: :? :
ill try to find pics you may be able to see them if you google kitten in a bottle but basically someone was selling kittens in a glass jar it was very bad and the kittens grew up deformed and broken. maybe I wont post pics :?

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
You know that site was a hoax, right? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonsai_Kitten

If someone could show some proper proof otherwise I think that would be great but untell then its just opinioni on both sides.
That's like saying if you take two identical human twins and raise one in a one-story house and one in a three-story house, the second one will be larger because of it. Now, if you raise one of those twins in a cage the size of a shower stall you'll see a difference, but that'll be due to the whole inability to move and deformities thing I mentioned.

and yeah i just learned recently that fish do grow until they cant survive on the eco system so that was pretty cool to find out
Nitpick: it's not like they just stop growing and are otherwise fine. Their growth becomes stunted, there's organ damage, all sorts of unfun things happen and their lifespan suffers because of it (which will also affect why such a fish "stays small").

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Simmer down brother take some colonapin! No one is attacking you I just like proof instead of opinion you know things like science that are published. forums are great but many myths are built on them because people take opinion as fact. Also im not sure how welll the comparison of humans to retiles works in regards to growth patterns.

oh ya the bonsai kitten thing I never read up on it to much but I saw some pics that looked really real may not have been such things are rarly true when transfered through the internet as I beleive this one was

aracnophiliac

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My collection is getting to big for each of my T.s to have a 25 gallon tank.What I was generally asking is if I move my T.s into smaller enclosers will they suffer scince they have been in such large enclosers for 3 years?

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My collection is getting to big for each of my T.s to have a 25 gallon tank.What I was generally asking is if I move my T.s into smaller enclosers will they suffer scince they have been in such large enclosers for 3 years?
What species are they and how large is each?

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm with Mushroom Spore on this one. I don't believe the size of the cage can stunt your pet's growth, regardless of whether that pet is a fish, snake, or a T. Improper care (poor diet for example) could certainly do the trick, but the cage size? I don't think so. How many time have you seen a fish, reptile, or other animal being kept in a cage that it has outgrown? More than I care to count! In these cases, cage size didn't seem to stunt the animals' growth whatsoever.

aracnophiliac

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The pet stores must not know anything because this is the information they gave me befor i decided to start collecting