doctoring T. blondi fungus

Betty

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Around a month ago, I completely cleaned out Shelob's (my T. blondi) tank and gave her new substrate after she tipped her water dish, spilling it's contents. The water absorbed into the substrate and was enough to start mold near the entrance of her log. (temp= 75F, humidity 75%)

I was experimenting on how dry I could keep her tank (I did not want mold to crop up again); I kept a larger, heavier water dish filled and I misted once in a while. At one point I noticed her fangs hanging down and a couple legs curled under, so I bumped the humidity back up from 70% to 75%. I misted the tank, and some of the water got on her.

A couple days later I noticed her abdomen was sweaty looking and there was a lump of white beaded/fluffy mold on the abdomen near her spinnerets. I thought it was really odd because the tank was not too humid - the substrate was dry and the sides of the tank weren't beaded up in moisture. Apparently the water I sprayed on her was enough to start the mold! Reports of T. blondis being susceptible to mold weren't kidding.

I used a long-handled, soft bristled paintbrush to dab on a good amount of baby powder. (Baby powder worked wonders on a P. murinus that was coated in mites when I purchased her.) The baby powder looks like the mold, so I did my best to coat the infected area. Shelob didn't notice at first, but the third dabble got her attention and she turned around to "inspect" the intrusion, but I was already done. There did not appear to be any fungus on her book lungs.

I removed the plexi lid and left only the screen lid on, letting the tank dry out even more for the rest of the night. I replaced the plexi lid the next morning, and left town for a day. I came back to find she brushed off all the powder, taking the dried fungus with it. She looks good now, but I'm giving her another treatment just to be safe.

Last edited:

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
God she's gorgeous! If I were a male T.... {D

Mine is getting ready for another molt, she's at that time in her life when she's eating like a pig and molting every couple of months. She's 4" now... I'm paranoid about her getting mold, fungus, nematodes... :(

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I dont have a T.blondi....YET...lol...but I am thinking of getting one in the very near future...I have read that some people keep them on bone dry substrate and a large water dish and plenty of ventilation once they put on some size ?? would this be an option ?? as I am a little concerned about mold and mites and so on...as for right now 7 of my T.s are kept this way...bone dry on pure peat and a hide and water dish...I guess I am wondering if I could do the same with a blondi ??

Regards, Mike :?

DnKslr

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh, so purrrddyy!! Mine isn't that pretty yet, it looks a bit tattered from the trip I think. I was wondering about the humidity in my tank too. I'm keeping it rather dry but the peat moss isn't powdery. I've only sprayed once with some warm water but I keep the water dish full(had to clean it out twice already! :rolleyes: ) So far the conditions haven't seemed too uncomfortable for her since she is very active and strikes lightening fast! I will have to think about placing some small plants in there though. Maybe some of the pothos cuttings I've started will help with the humidity too, they work wonders in my chameleons cages.

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
If they looked bettys in that pic all the time i would consider building a hepa fillered viv out of one of my old snake housings but i still think it would have to live out the house :D

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Although I keep mine humid, I often see her straddled over her water dish. Looks REALLY funny, but she must need the moisture.

My dry species, which is everything BUT the blondi and gigas, don't hestitate to drink when they need the water. It's funny to see THEM with their front ends submerged in the water and their butts up in the air! {D