Dock Spiders...

Raan_Jodus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Ok, I was out working at a cottage today,(2 hrs north of Toronto, where there are alot of cottages) and we noticed a fair sized dock spider above a door. And it struck me, has anyone kept this species of spider? Heres an image I found of a dock spider
I think the name is Dolomedes tenebrosus, Far as I can see on websites, they range pretty far, and are our biggest spider :) this one was maybe 2cm (body only). Anyway, has anyone ever caught and kept one of these? The one we saw today was quite voracious, and totally attacked a stick i put near it.

Last edited:

RMBolton

Arachnopeon

Sorry, can't answer your questions. This one, and the three or four others on the dock, was very docile and I couldn't elicit a strike if I wanted to....
R

Raan_Jodus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
maybe the one I found was hungry. First he attacked a stick, but backed off. The second time, I used a leaf stem, and he basically jumped on it, an im pretty sure he bit it. I would have found something to feed him just to watch, but sadly there was nothing around :(

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The genus is known collectively as "fishing spiders" for their habit of hunting around and on the water. They are easy an interesting to keep and do great in a semi-aquatic tank, but can also be kept is simpler tarantula-like cages (but that's not as much fun).

Wade

pioneer

Arachnopeon
dock spiders

I have many dock spiders for pets there very cool and they get very big. I had one once to get 4.5" wide . I catch them with my bare hands in the dark and have let them crawl on my arms and hands many times and never ever been bit . i guess that sounds like i'm bragging and crazy but its true. I love my dock spiders ;P I will show some cool pic's soon