docile scorpion that can take it cool?

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Are there any scorpion species that are docile AND can do well at room temperature? I'm looking for a scorpion that can be handled like an emperor, but can take it cooler than an emperor...is that asking too much? :liar:

Anything you know of that comes close?

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Professor, We'll convert you into a scorp lover if you get to hangin' out here LOL {D
Anyway to answer your question, I would suggest any Hadogenes spp (Flat Rock Scorp). I keep mine at room temp which now is upper 70s-lower 80s. Hadogenes are more docile than emps IMO they are generally reluctant to sting but some will try to pinch.
Hope that helps somewhat ;)

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Brian S said:
Professor, We'll convert you into a scorp lover if you get to hangin' out here LOL {D
Anyway to answer your question, I would suggest any Hadogenes spp (Flat Rock Scorp). I keep mine at room temp which now is upper 70s-lower 80s. Hadogenes are more docile than emps IMO they are generally reluctant to sting but some will try to pinch.
Hope that helps somewhat ;)
Thanks Brian that was helpful. In your experience can Hadogenes survive temps in the low 70's? What's their venom like?

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
venom is the weakest of all scorpions,

LD50 is 2000 for hadogenes
compared to LQ (the most dangerous) at 0.21 or something

so very very weak, i got stung by one, and there was no pain, just itching

hadogenes LOVE the heat,, so im not sure whether it could live happily at low temps
;( it CAN survive, but you must question the health of the scorp

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
G. Carnell said:
venom is the weakest of all scorpions,

LD50 is 2000 for hadogenes
compared to LQ (the most dangerous) at 0.21 or something

so very very weak, i got stung by one, and there was no pain, just itching

hadogenes LOVE the heat,, so im not sure whether it could live happily at low temps
;( it CAN survive, but you must question the health of the scorp
Thanks, G. Carnell I understand your point that they'll thrive with heat, and appreciate the venom information. :)

Does anyone know if Hadogenes glow blue-green in blacklight?

guesskatiejules

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hadogenes would definitely be a good choice, nice and calm. They don't sting at all really, but they will pinch. Watch the temperature.

Oh, I guess I'm just reiterating what everyone else said...Oops. Well, it's important! :8o

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
guesskatiejules said:
Hadogenes would definitely be a good choice, nice and calm. They don't sting at all really, but they will pinch. Watch the temperature.

Oh, I guess I'm just reiterating what everyone else said...Oops. Well, it's important! :8o
Thanks, everyone for the great info.

And Katie, there's nothing wrong with reiterating, as long as you bring that avatar with you. Jersey girls rock! I read you won't change it until you get a "better" picture. While you might get a "better" picture in your opinion, you won't get a sexier picture in my opinion. You achieved the pinnacle of the sexy avatar...quit while you're ahead. ;)

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Professor T said:
In your experience can Hadogenes survive temps in the low 70's?
Professor,
You might get away with temps that low at night as long as the day temps are in the 80s. This is just speculation so take it for what its worth. Like G Carnell said , they like the heat. I would say that 85F - 90F are probably the optimum temps. However I don't keep any of mine that warm and they seem to do fine.
I can't think of any scorps from more temperant climates that I would consider docile. A Hagogenes would be your best ticket but you might want to look into a way to warm it up some in case lower 70s are too cool. Mine sometimes get down to 75F but I feel better if the low is 78F
Hope that helps you. Keep us posted ok.

BTW, If you get hooked on scorps you may have change name to Professor S lol ;)

RaZeDaHeLL666

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Professor T, I also agree that flat rocks can survive in cooler temps, but I dont know how it will affect thier health. Also many people that dont seem to keep thier temperature high complain that thier scorpions are inactive!! Scorpions metabolism slows down when they get cold, so they digest slower. You dont want the food to rot inside of them!

guesskatiejules

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Professor T said:
Thanks, everyone for the great info.

And Katie, there's nothing wrong with reiterating, as long as you bring that avatar with you. Jersey girls rock! I read you won't change it until you get a "better" picture. While you might get a "better" picture in your opinion, you won't get a sexier picture in my opinion. You achieved the pinnacle of the sexy avatar...quit while you're ahead. ;)
Thank you! I guess I won't be changing it! ;)
And since when did you get into scorps? I thought you were mostly a T person? I guess you just couldn't resist the allure of the scorpion! {D

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
guesskatiejules said:
Thank you! I guess I won't be changing it! ;)
And since when did you get into scorps? I thought you were mostly a T person? I guess you just couldn't resist the allure of the scorpion! {D
Actually I'm into animals. I have tarantulas, millipedes, emperor scorpions, beetles, frogs, salamanders, lizards, snakes, a cockcatoo, and a pug...25 different species in all.