Do your slings tense up when you drop in prey?

MikeofBorg

Arachnosquire
Currently my only sling is a Brachypelma hamorii, but I have raised an Avicularia avicularia from just over an inch to 4 inches plus (male about to reach ultimate) and an Aphonopelma seemanni sling to just under 4 1/2 inches DLS (surprisingly fast grower at 2 years and some change old). Anyway I love that mine will be wandering around their enclosures or at their burrow entrance, but the minute I drop a feeder in (after they calm down from being scared) they come out with purpose. Once they sense the feeder they are tensed up lifted off the ground ready to strike when it gets near. Funny thing is they miss a lot, especially with small crickets. If they do they go right back to that stance lifted off the ground all ready to pounce again. I just love watching the total change in behavior from no feeder in the enclosure to a live feeder being inside.

Enrgy

Arachnosquire
most slings are scary/skiddish till they put on some size

Last edited by a moderator:

weibkreux

Arachnoknight
I watched my M. balfouri (1" DLS) sling put up a threat posture to the B. latteralis (crushed head) I put outside their burrow. It lasted until the roach stopped moving before it strike.

No photo or video tho, the flash will make my balf run back to its burrow. :playful:

Potatatas

Arachnoknight
It's understandable slings are tense when you drop in live prey. To them the ground shook, the sky opened up and a living creature comes crashing to the floor. That's a lot to go through for a baby!