Do you let the sling tell you when it’s done burrowing?

BC1579

Arachnobaron
Specifically a Pokie sling. Even more specifically a P. regalis.

34400E00-11CA-4092-AA4B-4381DD4BA749.jpeg

Awww.

It’s a little under an inch (the photo is a 3x3x5” enclosure for reference). It’s got about 2.5” of substrate in it now but the sling doesn’t burrow. My idea was to provide it with climbing surfaces and enough substrate to dig...I’m all about free expression.

So my question - if by its next molt it’s shown no signs of burrowing (which it hasn’t in the 2-3 weeks I’ve had it) can I switch to less substrate when I need to rehouse it? Is it safe to assume it’s abandoned its burrowing instincts by then?

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
IMO there's no way to tell. They just burrow whenever they want. My Poecilotheria miranda male never burrowed as a sling, but when he hit around 3.5 inches he started burrowing like crazy. My P.miranda female just hit 3 inches and is started to excavate a lot more than when she was smaller.

As always individuals vary and some never do burrow, but for Poecs I always give them enough sub to burrow if they choose to do so, without limiting height, just to give them the option.

BC1579

Arachnobaron
For Poecs I always give them enough sub to burrow without limiting height to give them the option whenever they want.
Thats where I’m at now, but I was hoping that behavior would trickle off sooner rather than later so I could commit to an enclosure.

I have a 4” vittata that has never attempted burrowing. Edit - I got her at roughly that size so I don’t know how she behaved as a sling.

Thanks for the input. I’ll just try to keep managing the enclosure for either approach.

Regarding the male miranda, how much sub did he have at 3.5” and, after seeing him really “dig in”, did you provide more substrate in the enclosure?

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thats where I’m at now, but I was hoping that behavior would trickle off sooner rather than later so I could commit to an enclosure.

I have a 4” vittata that has never attempted burrowing. Edit - I got her at roughly that size so I don’t know how she behaved as a sling.

Thanks for the input. I’ll just try to keep managing the enclosure for either approach.

Regarding the male miranda, how much sub did he have at 3.5” and, after seeing him really “dig in”, did you provide more substrate in the enclosure?
The male miranda had around 4 inches of sub, he webbed and dragged other substrate over to make it higher, or deeper I guess. I never gave him extra substrate, as he seemed content with what he had, never showed any signs of stress or nervousness. Although once he hit close to 5 inches he abandoned it and went to using his cork hide. From my experience burrowing has just been somewhat of a "phase" for my Poecs. Then again I've seen some adult Poecs still make burrows, you'll learn more of your indivuals behaviour as it grows.

i have an adult female P.regalis that was full burrower as a sling, but as she got larger and more aware of her size, she stopped bothering and just hangs on her cork now. Again individuals vary, I'd personally give your sling a little more time just to get to know it's preferances more, I'd say if it hasn't burrowed within a few months there's a good chance it never will. I like to give them to option but I don't think it's 100% necessary.

BC1579

Arachnobaron
Perfect. I’m fortunate enough to have access to several different types and shapes of amac containers, so I’m sure I’ll be able to find a good balance between substrate and climbing surface without losing the T in a gigantic enclosure.

Thanks again.

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Perfect. I’m fortunate enough to have access to several different types and shapes of amac containers, so I’m sure I’ll be able to find a good balance between substrate and climbing surface without losing the T in a gigantic enclosure.

Thanks again.
No problem, good luck with your little one, she's a cutie.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
I have actually found that pokies are less inclined to burrow if you give them a sufficiently secure hide, like a cork tube. I’ve tried a cork tube set up vertically (for my adult vittata) and in the “pokie cannon” orientation (for my adult metallica). Neither one burrows at all. But they ALWAYS hide. I have a cork slab leaned in the corner for my subadult rufilata, and she burrows right under it, but also like to hang out on the underside of it. My juvi ornata is set up with the same cork slab setup, and it burrows too. And again, the ornata also likes to hang out ON the cork, usually the underside. When I walk up to it, he/she will scoot around the cork to try to hide from me.

IME, it seems like pokies in cork tubes don’t tend to burrow. And they are also less visible, as they hide constantly. I’m finding that I prefer to use the leaned slab orientation because it seems like they are visible more often. They usually burrow at the base of the slab, on the side it’s leaning. So, I recently set up a new subfusca sling that way. I’ll let you know what happens:)

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I think every pokie I've ever had burrowed till about 3-4". After being rehoused into their adult cages, they usually stopped.

cold blood

Staff member
So my question - if by its next molt it’s shown no signs of burrowing (which it hasn’t in the 2-3 weeks I’ve had it) can I switch to less substrate when I need to rehouse it? Is it safe to assume it’s abandoned its burrowing instincts by then?
No, just leave it properly set up and allow the t to do whatever it wants...you only provide the opportunity, its not up to you to decide IMO. The aforementioned cork tube is just another opportunity....if they take that, there's no use for a burrow, adults will often find it most desirable...but it still doesn't mean I would put an inch of sub in and call it a day....i am going to use the same, regardless of what else I do with the set up and regardless as to the burrowing being done or not done by the t.

Deeper sub also has an advantage of holding moisture longer.

I have one regalis (the last from last springs hatch) that never burrowed, actually created a web at the top, never had another pokie do that, but it didn't make me change the set up....he just did what he wanted.

I have some adults who are always on the ground, most are half and half...one AF (vitatta) always goes up, never see it on the ground...but she has the option still.

That said, a pokie does just fine in an over-sized enclosure...they're fast and excellent hunters.

Last edited: