1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Scheduled Maintenance - Extended Downtime

Please click here for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you know these trees?

Discussion in 'Live Plants' started by The Snark, Nov 21, 2017.

1. The Snark

The Snark هرج و مرج مهندس Old Timer

Advertisement
    These people have the yard of my dreams.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1. Ficus Religiosa
    2, 3, 5 (L), 6, 8, 9, 10, heck if I know.
    5. (right one) Bombacaceae
    7. Jacaranda
    11. Lychee
    12. Longan
    13. Golden Teak
    14. Mango
    15 Raintree

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  2. Galapoheros

Galapoheros ArachnoGod Old Timer

texas
    It doesn't look like anybody lives there but I like the house a lot. Yeah I like the idea. I bought a dump for 50K recently and planted pair, apple, orange, fig, Mexican apple, PawPaw trees, peach, cherry, loquat trees and just today I got 3 pineapple guava trees in the mail. Everything is small, you don't notice, looks like a bunch of nothing but I'm hoping I'll live to see things grow. I have asparagus growing in places, gophers are getting the sweet potatoes(which aren't potatoes btw). I'm forgetting things but I do like to walk around a property like you posted and look at the changes in the plants.

• Like Like x 1
  3. schmiggle

schmiggle Arachnoprince Active Member

Not personally, but they're friends of friends.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. The Snark

The house is occupied and well kept. I've never disturbed the people who live there though. As near as I can tell, it was desired that every square foot of the entire property be covered in growth. Where the trees didn't do the job, palms and shrubs filled in. The area on the side of the house seen in the picture is next to an irrigation canal where they are restricted as to what can be planted.
    They don't appear to like pruning and trimming. That one dead branch has been there for months.

The first picture also tells a story. The little 'house' on the lower left is a pump house. I took the pictures from the deck of a garden restaurant. Although they have access to the irrigation canal, they grow their own veggies and the chemical soup in the canal was deemed unsuitable for anything but growing cattle feed.
    That restaurant periodically lets cattle graze in fallow areas, - next years fertilizer in the making.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  5. darkness975

darkness975 dream reaper Arachnosupporter

Funny how many of these you see in the "exotic plants' section at Home Depot and such in the US and EU.

Just like all the exotic critters that you buy/see across the globe and then there are those who see them every day as commonly as I see a squirrel since they live where they are.

6. The Snark

Actually, that is a typical 'western mind' thinking. It is far from an unusual exotic.
    It's a remarkable tree with a large ship load of fantasies, fables and allegory attached. AKA Po or Bo tree, Peepal, Peaceful Thought, Ancestral Tree, the Ancient One and so on. And of course, the Bodhi tree under which the Buddha sat. Thousands of them have their homes in temples and special corners of parks, groves and gardens throughout much of the mideast and Asia.
    They commonly live 500 years and there are several over 1000. They tolerate a very wide spectrum of soils and climates. Some people propagate the seedlings and have small groves with traced lineage of each that all have a single common ancestor.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  7. schmiggle

schmiggle Arachnoprince Active Member

This thread reminds me of a professor of mine who identified a sapling growing in a chimney while driving by it along a highway (it was a tree of heaven, Ailanthus altissima, if anyone is curious).

• Like Like x 1
  8. darkness975

darkness975 dream reaper Arachnosupporter

That was my point.

• Like Like x 1