Do you have a 'odd end' tarantula in your collection?

WolfSoon

Arachnoknight
How long have you had your T cyane, and where did you get it from?
I got her just a couple months ago from a local keeper/breeder. I believe he’s also on AB. I couldn’t pass her up after all the good things I’d read about the species.

Last edited:

boina

Lady of the mites
I got her just a couple months ago from a local keeper/breeder. I believe he’s also on AB. I couldn’t pass her up after all the good things I’d read about the species.
@viper69 - I'm kind of worried about the high numbers of WC females coming into the hobby at the moment, many of them gravid. It seems someone has found a wild population and a source of income from plundering it :meh:. For years they have been under the radar but now people seem to have found out that they are not only blue but also docile and hardy...

Of course I can't and won't deny others the joy of owning this species, but can't we just put some more effort into breeding instead of depleting wild populations? And yes, I know I'm being a hypocrite because I do own a WC female, but in my defence: when I bought it I didn't realize it was WC.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
@viper69 - I'm kind of worried about the high numbers of WC females coming into the hobby at the moment, many of them gravid. It seems someone has found a wild population and a source of income from plundering it :meh:. For years they have been under the radar but now people seem to have found out that they are not only blue but also docile and hardy...

Of course I can't and won't deny others the joy of owning this species, but can't we just put some more effort into breeding instead of depleting wild populations? And yes, I know I'm being a hypocrite because I do own a WC female, but in my defence: when I bought it I didn't realize it was WC.
Honestly, I can't tell you why a species becomes popular and one isn't. All the reasons that "E sp Red" and "Yellow" are popular is present in T cyane. However, T cyane has been around in the hobby longer I believe. Maybe access to T cyane isn't the best, who knows. I wish I knew.

Are T cyane hard to breed, or take a long time to breed, I don't know. I hope not.

In the USA I haven't seen their popularity increase, but again I'm not a dealer, who knows how many inquiries they have received over the years.

I do hope they become established as CB though.

Has this person bred this species? If so, this would be helpful information to the community. Once @KezyGLA and @Austin S. spread the beauty of this species around the USA, more will follow I hope that become CB USA

Last edited by a moderator:

WolfSoon

Arachnoknight
Has this person bred this species? If so, this would be helpful information to the community.
Not that I know of unfortunately. He got the one female last November, and she wasn’t paired.
I got her thinking I would pass her along to someone more experienced if a breeding opportunity ever came up. I agree the beauty must be spread! :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Not that I know of unfortunately. He got the one female last November, and she wasn’t paired.
I got her thinking I would pass her along to someone more experienced if a breeding opportunity ever came up. I agree the beauty must be spread! :)
Thanks, wonder who the person got them from. I only know of 1 colony here in the USA.

WolfSoon

Arachnoknight
Thanks, wonder who the person got them from. I only know of 1 colony here in the USA.
I’ll ask and get back to you. He told me but I forgot, hah. So there is someone breeding them in the US, cool!

Mychajlo

Arachnosquire
I made a post on this thread earlier about my supposed “A. Sp Guatemala” that actually turned out just to be an A. Semanni but I’ve noticed that not a lot of people have or ever have kept the C. Vonwirthi so that’s my new and more accurate post for this thread
Meet Sassy, my ~5.5” female C. Vonwirthi
5BBF31D9-EB00-4925-9F29-410911276B46.jpeg

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I had a Holothele sericea last year that unfortunately was a male and matured really small. I couldn't find a mate for him because practically no one has this species. I really am stumped why this species hasn't taken off as one of the prettiest species out there. Their blue is amazing and they're easy to keep if you keep catch cups around when doing maintenance.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I had a Holothele sericea last year that unfortunately was a male and matured really small. I couldn't find a mate for him because practically no one has this species. I really am stumped why this species hasn't taken off as one of the prettiest species out there. Their blue is amazing and they're easy to keep if you keep catch cups around when doing maintenance.
Do you have any photos of him by any chance? It’s a shame when that happens, although I’m not in the same place as you, I’m a bit worried I won’t be able to find mates for the Pamphobeteus and Phormictopus sp I have

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Do you have any photos of him by any chance? It’s a shame when that happens, although I’m not in the same place as you, I’m a bit worried I won’t be able to find mates for the Pamphobeteus and Phormictopus sp I have
Don't have pictures, unfortunately. The little thing was too flighty for that. The speed of those things is incredible! Mature male didn't last very long though. I think 4 months, something like that, after he matured, he died.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Nowdays i have no such tarantula but back in the days i had:

Xenesthis intermedia
Heterothele villosela
Grammostola alticeps