Do you handle your Ts?

Do you handle your Ts?

• Total voters

Spider-man 2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Kirdec said:
my english is'nt perfect but, if I understand you correctly, you say that a T cant die of a 4 feet drop ... ?!
Well, I will be honest. I was rehousing my adult female Pamphobetus sp. "platyomma" when she made a run for it and fell off a 4 to 5 foot countertop onto a tile kitchen floor. I immediately thought she was done for. Forunately, she was just stunned with no injuries. I picked her up and put her away. SO, it is possible for a T to survive a high drop, but the chances are probably acute.

Sorry if this was off-topic.

Snakecharm

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Feel free to take what I say with a grain of salt. In fact, here, have a whole shaker. But I've been browsing this thread, weighing the various points of view presented. I see a lot of people saying 'I only handle my T if necessary.' I've seen it often enough to make the conjecture that it is a necessity to, on occasion, handle a tarantula. Be it for medical treatment, moving it around, etc.

Now then, regardless of any arguments in regards to a tarantula's capacity for thought and feeling, I think it can be stated that they are capable of a very simple form of learning from basic positive and negative stimuli. If this is bad, don't do it. If this is good, do it, and so on.

Therefore, is it not a logical progression to suggest that regular, responsible, limited contact with the animals in question is nothing more than conditioning them that being handled is a normal, positive situation and not one to be addressed with a fight or flight response? A large, potentially unruly arachnid that has associated through repetition that human contact is something normal, harmless and a matter of course would strike me as being much easier to work with in an emergency than one that has never been touched.

Just my two cents.

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Spider-man 2 said:
Well, I will be honest. I was rehousing my adult female Pamphobetus sp. "platyomma" when she made a run for it and fell off a 4 to 5 foot countertop onto a tile kitchen floor. I immediately thought she was done for. Forunately, she was just stunned with no injuries. I picked her up and put her away. SO, it is possible for a T to survive a high drop, but the chances are probably acute.

Sorry if this was off-topic.
yes I agree but on another point some T died in a 4-5 inch fall ... sorry this is off topic

Kid Dragon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Kirdec said:
yes I agree but on another point some T died in a 4-5 inch fall ... sorry this is off topic
My apologies, my posting of a stupid joke led to your confusion. Yes, a drop of 4 feet can kill a tarantula. Their point was handling a T can be dangerous to the T, which is a true statement.

Kid Dragon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
BileDrunk said:
Where are you deriving this information from? I'm only curious because my observation would suggest that there are as mixed opinions there as there are here.
This is just the feeling I get from the images projected by the two groups. I stereotype ATS members as the ones that hold the pokies and drive their red pickup trucks into the desert to collect. The cowboys with no fear. When I think of BTS members I think of cutting edge breeding techniques and conservation. The ecologists that exercise caution.

I admit this probably is totally unfair as with any stereotype. However, its the image I get from the websites I've visited.

Disclaimer: I've never been to an ATS or BTS meeting. I'm an American with a hold your T mentality, but with respect for what the arachnoculture groups are doing in Europe.

Apocalypstick

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Snakecharm said:
Therefore, is it not a logical progression to suggest that regular, responsible, limited contact with the animals in question is nothing more than conditioning them that being handled is a normal, positive situation and not one to be addressed with a fight or flight response? A large, potentially unruly arachnid that has associated through repetition that human contact is something normal, harmless and a matter of course would strike me as being much easier to work with in an emergency than one that has never been touched.

Just my two cents.

This is exactly what I should have said instead of rambling off some incident I had with my T that will never change anyone's way of thinking.

Sorry to Becca and Mister Internet for going off topic :eek:

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Kid Dragon said:
This is just the feeling I get from the images projected by the two groups. I stereotype ATS members as the ones that hold the pokies and drive their red pickup trucks into the desert to collect. The cowboys with no fear. When I think of BTS members I think of cutting edge breeding techniques and conservation. The ecologists that exercise caution.

I admit this probably is totally unfair as with any stereotype. However, its the image I get from the websites I've visited.
I've been considering this to some extent lately. Not necessarily based on this thread but the differences overall. The more I think about it, the more I dread the idea that a geographical line actually seperates two social groups for any reason. Unfortunately, I can't disprove it either. The general American attitude towards the hobby is much more casual than in other places. We have a biiiig population though. the casual hobbyist to "more involved" hobbyist ratio stands out more maybe? I dunno.
My point was that I seem to recall spotting many pics of non-american hobbyists also handling their T's. I'll have to do some searching to see if I'm remembering right.

*Rambling and hungry*spicy-thai-chicken-bowl calling my name* :}

Bile

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
BileDrunk said:
We have a biiiig population though. the casual hobbyist to "more involved" hobbyist ratio stands out more maybe? I dunno.
This is what I've been curious about. I know this poll isn't perfect and there's no way that it can accurately reflect all views. The sample size is too small and it's being done from an American-based forum.

I also see the stereotype that Kid Dragon is pointing out, but I wonder if it is also just from the number of people in the US that are in the hobby. The more people in the hobby, the more casual hobbyists that are going to be seen and (hopefully) the more "more involved" hobbyists.

I think the location of the ATS and BTS should also be considered. The ATS is stationed where tarantulas are native, the BTS is not. I wonder if the BTS would be out doing the same thing if it was as readily available? It is much more expensive for them to go to observe any tarantula in its natural environment. I'm not saying that would put on cowboy hats and rent a pick-up, but you know what I mean. ;)

Snakecharm said:
I've seen it often enough to make the conjecture that it is a necessity to, on occasion, handle a tarantula. Be it for medical treatment, moving it around, etc.
If you are fully prepared when you are doing maintenance or other things, then I don't believe that it is always necessary. Moving it around can be done without handling it. There are always circumstances where it may be unavoidable (the spider runs up on you or there is a certain "medical" procedure to be performed) but the vast majority of the time, I feel that it can be avoided if the owner wants it that way.

Apocalypstick

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
becca81 said:
If you are fully prepared when you are doing maintenance or other things, then I don't believe that it is always necessary. Moving it around can be done without handling it. There are always circumstances where it may be unavoidable (the spider runs up on you or there is a certain "medical" procedure to be performed) but the vast majority of the time, I feel that it can be avoided if the owner wants it that way.

If there is a need for medical treatment and the T is familiar with being handled, it will not percieve you as a predator. This decreases an already stressful situation. Not everything can or should be done with tongs, forceps, and tweezers.

I don't mean get your T out and play Chutes And Ladders with them every evening..... or try to "bond" with your T by letting it crawl all over your face as one pic on this forum displayed. Nor am I trying to "ascribe" emotions to a tarantula's primitive, two celled, low functioning 'brain stem' type, extremely limited organ controling only an autonomic nervous system.

I'm just saying repetition, in even this lowest of life forms, sends signals to thier autonomic pea brains that if it survives handling repeatedly without injury.... it is not a predator. Predator = massive stress.

* This lecture has been provided free of charge by "The Society Of The Lower Echelon Of Tarantula Keepers" AKA "SOLE TK"

eschneider

Arachnopeon
I’m surprised, I have held all of mine, except 1 [because I’m not sure what exactly it is, and how mean].

I currently have Rose Hairs, Pink Toes, White Striped Bird Eater. My son has held Pink Toes, Rose also…

Have to be careful with Pink Toes, they like to jump, and can jump very well.

I don’t hold them all every day, but don’t hesitate to hold them, I usually tap them to get them to move out of my way. Some times I do use a pen.

They seem to know it’s me, in fact I have seen them jump at me a few times and stop as if [oh it’s you..]. Maybe they know the sound of me opening the lid…

Some species I would probably not hold like Cobalt or other more aggressive ones. I have never been bitten yet, some day I’m sure I will…

Eric Schneider

Chilkootmom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ummmmm....Nope. LOL...Im new to it but Im sure I just wont. From what I have read they really dont like it and that is fine with me...Im also afraid something will happen to one...I just find them facinating to watch and look at....easy to care for...and great conversation piece. ;o) Plus my kids thought they were cool...I have 3. My son is almost 13 and my daughter who is 10 have one at thier dad's house....But I think Im addicted. ;o)

Linda

tmanjim

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I also do presentations at schools, daycare centers etc. These "shows" are spaced as to not stress the T's. The kids love it and I enjoy it also. Whenever the T's are handled, it is with extreme caution and concern for the spiders well being. As of today, I have done approximately 25 of these and have never, knock on wood, had any incidents. Except for one time when I was holding my Avic. Avic and it shot poop on my shirt.

" I also handle them when they whisper to me with their little spider voices"

No I am not CRAZY, I am Arachnonuts, hee hee!!!!!!!!!!!!

NixHexDude

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My son is almost 13 and my daughter who is 10 have one at thier dad's house....But I think Im addicted. ;o)

Linda
I know I'm addicted lol. The way I see it, handling is all a matter of preference. The T doesn't care either way, so long as it isn't injured or stressed to an excessive amount.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Me neither, i figure the odds of being bitten increase every time!
You know, I've always believed, (and respected) that spiders are unpredictable. Even though I handle them, I don't really trust too many other people with them. Except my B. albo. Had it since it was less then .5". Handling it at every stage in her growth. And I trust her with anyone... She'll never bite.

Seriously though.. Like any animal will protect itself if threatened, not her. I can literally flip her over with my finger, and push her around, ( no I don't do this often), and all she does is cower.

william

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i handle them to clean the cages.and to show them off to friends and family:rolleyes:

ancientscout

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have handled Aphonopelma chalcodes but I don't handle any of the others simply because I don't trust them totally. I also see no need to do so. I can use a capture cup to catch them if they escape.

K MUELLER

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I handle them only when they get a new setup, or cleaning. later-Karl:cool:

Bob Bohnet

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have handled a couple of times, but am leaning more toward the safety issue for the T.