Do you handle your Ts?

Do you handle your Ts?

• Total voters

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I voted yes but I only handle them when necessary. I do not for handle them for my own pleasure.
Mike

juggalo69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I handled mine when I first got it but as soon as I found out it was stressful I stopped. That and the fact that when I tried to hold my G.rosea she would just climb my arm and hide in the center of my back so it wasn't worth it.

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I agree with Moricollins, that there should be more granularity to the answers. I don't regularly handle my T's, but will on occasion handle them. Frequency, or under what circumstances one handles their T's should be included in the poll.

Spider-man 2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No offense Mr. I, but I believe Apoc's statements are completely revelant to the thread. A lot of people handle thier Ts in belief and hope that they will form a "bond" with thier spider, when in actuality, that could never happen. Sometimes people form the illusion in thier head that from the behavior the T expesses and exhibits over time, insituates to some people that the T is getting "used" to being handled and seems more docile. All in your head people. Ts are unpredictable and will always be that way, for now.

Tarantulas are so primative and unevolved, that they don't even have what we consider a "brain". It is basically a cluster of ganglion and primate cells which makes them incapable of emotions or "attachments" to other organisms. All instinct.

To stay on topic, I do regularly handle my Ts as I do presenations for kids and it is far more interesting for them when I handle them, instead of show them in semi-transparent containers. I am always cautious and prepare for the worst when handling. I do not do it just to show off. I will admit that I do get some slight personal satisfaction from holding them. Holding a T gives me a very special feeling (the touch) that most people will never experience due to thier irrational arachnophobia. I know there is no benefit to the T in me handling it and puts it more at risk then anything. If it makes me selfish and stupid for putting a Ts life on the line for my pure enjoyment and education, then so be it, but I can say to this day, that none of my Ts has been injured due to this. *knock on wood* As long as you take the necessary precautions and proper handling techniques then usually nothing will go wrong.

Last edited:

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Spider-man 2 said:
No offense Mr. I, but I believe Apoc's statements are completely revelant to the thread. A lot of people handle thier Ts in belief and hope that they will form a "bond" with thier spider, when in actuality, that could never happen. Sometimes people form the illusion in thier head that from the behavior the T expesses and exhibits over time, insituates to some people that the T is getting "used" to being handled and seems more docile. All in your head people. Ts are unpredictable and will always be that way, for now.

Tarantulas are so primative and unevolved, that they don't even have what we consider a "brain". It is basically a cluster of ganglion and primate cells which makes them incapable of emotions or "attachments" to other organisms. All instinct.

To stay on topic, I do regularly handle my Ts as I do presenations for kids and it is far more interesting for them when I handle them, instead on show them in semi-transparent containers. I am always cautious and prepare for the worst when handling. I do not do it just to show off. I will admit that I do get some slight personal satisfaction from holding them. Holding a T gives me a very special feeling (the touch) that most people will never experience due to thier irrational arachnophobia. I know there is no benefit to the T in me handling it and puts it more at risk then anything. If it makes me selfish and stupid for putting a Ts life on the line for my pure enjoyment and education, then so be it, but I can say to this day, that none of my Ts has been injured due to this. *knock on wood* As long as you take the necessary precautions and proper handling techniques then usually nothing will go wrong.

that was honest and I dont hav a word to add on that, im against handling, but you handle yours fora reason and you are enough honest to say what you really think

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Kirdec said:
that was honest and I dont hav a word to add on that, im against handling, but you handle yours fora reason and you are enough honest to say what you really think
No offense Kirdec, but I don't believe that Becca wanted this to turn into another debate. You have stated your opinion earlier and are now repling with nothing more than a re-iteration of your belief. That is what will turn this into another handling debate.

bugsnstuff

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
as Becca said
For the purposes of this survey, handling your Ts means that you handle them on somewhat of a regular basis.
so, the odd occasion, like catching an escapee or poking a sling from one pot to another isn't deemed as 'handling regularly'

and you're right, this isn't a debate, mearly a comparison, so you don't need to state your 'reasons' or say whether it is right or wrong :D

no offence intended, just want to see this stay unlocked

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
sry if you saw my comment as a start of debate I was only saying that what he said was totally right ... I wont start a debate

but I dont see how I can start a debate in saying "that was honest and I dont hav a word to add on that, im against handling, but you handle yours fora reason and you are enough honest to say what you really think"

sry again afterreading myself I udnerstan you point ;) I talk no more :embarrassed: I just wanted to say that my intention was'nt to start another debate but saying he was right to do what he does

Last edited:

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Spider-man 2 said:
No offense Mr. I, but I believe Apoc's statements are completely revelant to the thread. A lot of people handle thier Ts in belief and hope that they will form a "bond" with thier spider, when in actuality, that could never happen.
Actually, they're completely relevant to >>> This Thread <<<, because this one is a poll about whether or not you do or don't, not for getting into what has been discovered to be a pointless debate about instinct vs. intelligence. This topic has been beat to death to the point that I am locking any future threads on it and re-directing discussion to existing threads. If people want that to happen to this thread, the ball's in their court.

N.W.A.

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I handle my T, but it's seeming stressed out right now so I'm going to lay off for a little bit. He/she is skittish so.....

Jaden

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm a hands on guy.

I handle all my tarantulas except a few (14 of the 85 I have. The 14 are all OBT.). The ones I handle are held 3 to 4 times a week (When I do feedings and checking cages for bad stuff. You know mites, mold, and fungus.) most even seem to look forward to the attention. Might be due to them knowing food will be served next. I guess its to each keeper thier own.

bagheera

ArachnoTiger
Old Timer
Never.

Unless there is no other easy option. They can be upredictable, and a 4 foot drop can be ever so fatal !

That said, my 9 year B. smithii would not be nudged into a cup for transfer. I picked her up between the legs and she went totally passive! On rehousing her (several times) she behaved exactly the same. The prior owners told me she was handled frequently. The othe rsmithiis I have had all allowed handling, but somehow failed to embrace it as they would say for example a cricket! (Ask your spiders, "Would you prefer A) to be handled by something that outweighs you by a factor of 15,000 or B) A nice fat cricket! 9 out 10 tarantulas answered #B! [after they were shown how to use a #2 pencil for the answer sheet!]) {D

Kid Dragon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
becca81 said:
I know I've done something like this before, but this one has a little different twist on it. For the purposes of this survey, handling your Ts means that you handle them on somewhat of a regular basis.

I'm curious to know the differences in opinion between the US and the rest of the world. Of course, I'm not trying to imply that either is right or wrong. :)
There is an arachnocultural difference between the USA and Europe IMO. This is a philosophical difference as illustrated by ATS vs. BTS. In the USA the mentality is I have the right to handle it, why not? In Europe the mentality is why handle it? I see both points of view and simply make that observation which I understand is a generalization. And like all sterotypes there are many exceptions.

Kid Dragon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
bagheera said:
Never.

Unless there is no other easy option. They can be upredictable, and a 4 foot drop can be ever so fatal !
I doubt any T can drop a human four feet to their death. However, I have to agree with your point that humans are unpredictable.

On another topic, did you know that "gullible" is not in the dictionary.

Crunchie

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yes I do handle my adult and juvenile tarantulas as long as they aren't being skittish and as long as a bit of common sense is used there is nothing wrong with this. ;P

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Kid Dragon said:
There is an arachnocultural difference between the USA and Europe IMO. This is a philosophical difference as illustrated by ATS vs. BTS. In the USA the mentality is I have the right to handle it, why not? In Europe the mentality is why handle it? I see both points of view and simply make that observation which I understand is a generalization. And like all sterotypes there are many exceptions.
Where are you deriving this information from? I'm only curious because my observation would suggest that there are as mixed opinions there as there are here. I am aware that the BTS recommends agains handling but I have seen an many European pics of keepers holding T's as American ones.

I will hold any of my T's when necessary. Necessary would be defined I suppose as when one runs for it and I have to block it form getting away or any other time one decides to run onto me. When transferring them etc.etc.
I will handle them sometimes just because too. That amounts to probably less than half of all combined handling though. The other half of the time I'm elected by said T to be it's foundation.

Bile

Last edited:

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
From the ATS ->

Some of these pages show the handling of tarantulas as a key feature. The American Tarantula Society does not recommend handling tarantulas, but recognizes that many people do handle their pets and tries to provide the necessary information/advice for the safe handling of these animals.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
BTS's is along the same lines if I recall correctly.

Funny that the ATS would recommend that but then go marauding through the desert in massive hoards, digging up every one they can find. Hmmm.. go figure. I suppose that it goes to show that the "policies" of either don't necessarily define the actions of the individual keeper, regardless of geographical location.

Bile

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Kid Dragon said:
I doubt any T can drop a human four feet to their death. However, I have to agree with your point that humans are unpredictable.

On another topic, did you know that "gullible" is not in the dictionary.
my english is'nt perfect but, if I understand you correctly, you say that a T cant die of a 4 feet drop ... ?!