Do T's not like to eat when its cold/dry?

Spidersfrommars

Arachnopeon
I have 6 different T's and none of them are eating. It started with a few of them and I thought they were just due for a molt, and today is my feeding day and none of them were interested.

Could it be due to winters cold temperatures and dry atmosphere?

I have a humidifier I could set up near their critter cages.

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
I wonder if there metablism gets really low in the low 60's and maybe they would simply be less hungry.

moshpitpanda

Arachnosquire
I believe there are a few tarantula species that favor cold temperatures although I do not know what they are called. Most will thrive high to low 70s

ccTroi

Arachnobaron
i have a few dozen specimens that are hesitant to eat when they haven’t drank water for a while. to add, i feed and water only once a week

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It ranges, I don't use the heat constantly, so it can go from low 60 to around 70.
Low temperatures, like yours, equals low metabolism, it's basic T biology. I observe the same thing each winter no matter where I have lived, East Coast, West Coast, MidWest etc etc

There are species that live in low temperatures at times in the wild, however I cannot tell you their feeding behavior.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
i have a few dozen specimens that are hesitant to eat when they haven’t drank water for a while. to add, i feed and water only once a week
When feeding groups of slings, I usually water the day prior.