Do Ts catch Zs?

mandipants

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Do tarantulas sleep? Surely in comparison to the full waking consciousness vs the unconsciousness that us humans have is impossible given our brains compared to their minimal nervous systems. But do they have an altered state of relaxation separate from their active "awake" time? I think they might. I have caught many of my arboreal species feet stuck to the glass, with legs noodley, and bodies hanging to the side as though the only thing supporting them is the friction of their feet on the glass. As soon as I tap on the glass they become "alert" and their bodies seem to again be supported by the entirety of all their limbs and joints. I know there is no scientific way to prove this, as I don't think any of us are looking to start hooking wires up to their brain stems to monitor activity levels, but what does everyone else think about my silly speculation?

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
umm Ts sleep during daytime normally since they are nocturnal... hope that answers your question :) they hunt at night in the wild
just because they cant close there eyes & dosnt mean they do not rest in some odd way

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm not sure. Maybe... I would've said fish do sleep but then again they have an actual brain. Albeit tiny.

I have seen spiders that look as if they aren't fully aware of their surroundings. Yesterday, my male P.pulcher was taking the upside-down pokie-stance (even though he's not one...) in the corner on the wall and his abdomen was leaning down slightly. Only when he was disturbed did he adjust with his pedicel. Not the only time I've seen that with any spider.

Maybe it's not exactly sleep but maybe they have some way similar to reboot themselves.

kgrigoryev

Arachnopeon
They don't sleep, they nap Zzzzz :). They are always on alert. It is what their lives are about, sitting there and waiting for food to snatch up and eat.

jhalla16

Arachnosquire
Tarantulas have brains too, man. They're just super, ridiculously tiny lol... But I wouldn't doubt it if they sleep sometimes.

Transient

Arachnosquire
I've always assumed Ts slept like some whales do, in a lowered state of awareness but not "sleeping" in the literal sense of the word.