Do they really hiss??

miamc12321

Arachnopeon
So all know I did things the wrong way. My Little P metallica is a hider. My B albo is a jerk. My B vagans just came out of the CIA... but Fenris (A geniculata) decided to go deep undercover. Bean gives me mommy issues (pwease wett mwe owt!!!). Tormund (B hamorii) is still a damn runner! What do we do with her. She damn scares me still!!!!

So, meet Gandalf. My teeny M balfouri. The cutest, blue legged, teeny baby ever! Should have started old worlds with her/him. If I were smart and not a dumb arse.... Still... Levi is pretty cute, too. Her slap, run, eat it is adorable!!!!!! Pics coming soon. B hamorii is still pretty scarey!!!

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I don't know about M.balfouri (I think yes but never owned those, so) but my Ceratogyrus spp., Pelinobius muticus etc loves to hiss when they are upset :playful:

Never heard my (adult female) P.murinus hiss, btw.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Phlogius sp. are known to ‘whistle’, hence the name ‘Queensland Whistling tarantula’

Patherophis

Arachnobaron
No they don't, they stridulate. Only inverts that are literally hissing are hissing roaches. :troll:

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My phormingochilus carpenteri sounds like shes got a mouth full of cicada when shes angry.

Its a crazy hissing/rattling sort of noise when she stridulates

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
My phormingochilus carpenteri sounds like shes got a mouth full of cicada when shes angry.

Its a crazy hissing/rattling sort of noise when she stridulates
I have 5 P. carpenteri, 1 sub-adult male and 4 slings - long (and boring) story how I got this many. Anyway I've yet to hear any of them make a sound. I almost want to annoy the male to see if he'll stridulate - almost :eek:

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I almost want to annoy the male to see if he'll stridulate - almost :eek:
They have attitude for days... shouldnt be too hard.

Ive had quite a few carpenteri too and never really noticed it before but they definitely do. My female was about 6.5" before her last molt and temp housed in a 1 gal mainstays container. One day i had to man up and get up close and personal with her to do some maintenence and i heard a faint hissing.

Naturally i was intrigued so i started messing with her, and the hissing kept coming.

I dont know if its a size thing, a male vs female thing or what, but i know big girls make noise. Keep your group long enough and youll hear it too.

I hope to find a MM soon, as my female molted a week or so ago and id love to start another project.

They have the absolute wildest mating dance ive ever seen with tarantulas