Do these eggs look fertilized? B.Albo

Elliott

Arachnopeon
6A457364-1B7B-4CED-84AF-99882E6BFCE7.jpeg 0DD1F882-E634-4EA4-BDD6-E07665C9F338.jpeg 4 Weeks ago my brachypelma albopilosum laid an egg sac and she has never been paired to my knowledge based on what I’ve been told by the person I bought her from. Not exactly sure how old she is but she’s about 4.75” in size. Today I pulled the sac to see what was inside and there were eggs inside. I do not have the experience to know if there’s a difference in appearance between fertilized and unfertilized eggs. Thank you to anyone who has taken time to read this.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Normally by day 25 there should be EWL's (eggs with legs) at that point.

Was this female a wild caught tarantula or was she captive bred? If she's captive bred, then this is a phantom sac or false sac with no fertilized eggs.

Elliott

Arachnopeon
I have no idea if she is WC or not. She was sold to me with the seller saying she was captive bred to his knowledge and never paired.

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
There's no way she dropped a fertile sac without being paired. Imo, or its a phantom sac or she was paired before. Or we are looking at the first case of parthenogenesis in tarantulas, ever.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
1. Has the T molted in your care?
- If 'Yes,' skip to #3. If 'No,' continue to #2

2. Does the seller have a date for the last molt?

3. The eggs are infertile.

Really though, after 4 weeks I'd expect to see some development... but maybe slower growing species can take a bit longer?

This is why it is important to get information on your spiders when you buy them... feeding and molting records, specimen origin information, etc. It baffles me that people don't ask for these things.

Or we are looking at the first case of parthenogenesis in tarantulas, ever.
Well that's dramatic :rolleyes:

Kamikaze

@baboonmanila
Old Timer
And if it is parthenogenesis, would there be a way to prove that it is? Please do correct me if I am wrong, but I think that there is no way to prove it.
So even if it did happen, people will have a hard time believing it.

I had some slings before from a supposedly parthenogenesis T. albopilosum. I had five pieces and no sling went to adulthood. They were all weak – did not even reach two inches.

My friend who gave them to me told me that he have never paired the female that he had. He also reared it his female T. albo from a sling.
He thought that it laid a phantom sack but he was very surprised that there were actual slings.

My apologies if I offended anyone about this reply. I am just relaying an account which I experienced in the past regarding the matter. I was not the owner of the female T albopilosum. The breeder is a good friend of mine, an honest friend who is quiet in the hobby. He didn't even tell anyone about it except a couple of friends, because he knows that he will just be ridiculed. He told me that it defies logic, but it is what it is. Happened waaaay back in 2010.

Also, the female according to him was never bred.

In case you're wondering, the temperature here in Manila is a constant 27C - 39C
Humidity ranges from 60% to 90%

Last edited: