Do tarantulas not want to eat when rehoused?

Luka98

Arachnosquire
Hey i got my first T a week ago (its a B albo 2 inches). I ordered her together with coco fiber and a starter dubia colony but the order got messed up and she ended up here a week before the sub and the colony, i was so sad to see her on paper towels. Anyways, the sub and the colony arrived today so i put it in as soon as it got here and also tried to feed her a medium dubia after a couple of minutes, no luck tho. Isn't this weird for a young T? She hasn't eaten in almost a week minimum.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gaherp

Arachnofarmer
Old Timer
I would not be worried that early on. If you keep a water dish in the cage and the T is not thinning out I would just a wait a while until the next attempt. You may want to try crickets also if after the next attempt does not result in a predation. Another issue could be nearing a molt. Keep us posted and your pic did not show up.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Depends on the tarantula and how the rehouse goes. Many recomend not even trying to feed after a rehousing. It could also be that the sling is already full/premolt from the seller.

PS. not sure if it is my phone or your post but i can't see the picture.

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
Hey i got my first T a week ago (its a B albo 2 inches). I ordered her together with coco fiber and a starter dubia colony but the order got fucked up and she ended up here a week before the sub and the colony, i was so sad to see her on paper towels. Anyways, the sub and the colony arrived today so i put it in as soon as it got here and also tried to feed her a medium dubia after a couple of minutes, no luck tho. Isn't this weird for a young T? She hasn't eaten in almost a week minimum.
T might be premolt like stated, but also sometimes Ts won't eat after a rehouse(at least for me), When I got my new additions the only one that ate was harpatira pulchripes cause it's a pig, dont worry too much, but if you are then just leave some fresh killed over night, if it's not eaten most likely premolt. (possibly full you should send a picture of the T for more information).
TL;DR >>>> in summary just make sure it has water and leave a fresh kil,l your T is likely fine.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
It's not uncommon at all for a tarantula to wait a few days or longer before it wants to eat after a rehouse. It's in a new environment and it's stressed, so it needs time to adjust. A tarantula going a week without eating is hardly a concern. In fact, many people on here (myself included) only feed weekly, or even less frequently if the feeder is large. Just give it some time to settle in, and try again. Or try leaving a prekilled feeder in with it as was suggested.

Additionally, cursing is very much against forum rules, so you may want to edit that out, or if you can't, either contact a moderator or report the comment so that it can be edited out

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I usually feed a few hours after I rehouse them, but some will take a while to start eating. As long as there's water available to the T, I wouldn't be concerned. Leave a prekilled prey item in and check in after a day or so to see if it fed.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
As others stated, not eating for a week is nothing to even bat an eyelash at... especially after being shipped and rehoused, and for a species like B. albo. You can try leaving pre-killed in overnight, or try offering a live roach once a week (remove it if she doesn't eat it).

As a side note - Make sure you are feeding your roaches fruits and veggies so they are providing optimal nutrition to your T!

Luka98

Arachnosquire
I would not be worried that early on. If you keep a water dish in the cage and the T is not thinning out I would just a wait a while until the next attempt. You may want to try crickets also if after the next attempt does not result in a predation. Another issue could be nearing a molt. Keep us posted and your pic did not show up.
Depends on the tarantula and how the rehouse goes. Many recomend not even trying to feed after a rehousing. It could also be that the sling is already full/premolt from the seller.

PS. not sure if it is my phone or your post but i can't see the picture.
T might be premolt like stated, but also sometimes Ts won't eat after a rehouse(at least for me), When I got my new additions the only one that ate was harpatira pulchripes cause it's a pig, dont worry too much, but if you are then just leave some fresh killed over night, if it's not eaten most likely premolt. (possibly full you should send a picture of the T for more information).
TL;DR >>>> in summary just make sure it has water and leave a fresh kil,l your T is likely fine.
It's not uncommon at all for a tarantula to wait a few days or longer before it wants to eat after a rehouse. It's in a new environment and it's stressed, so it needs time to adjust. A tarantula going a week without eating is hardly a concern. In fact, many people on here (myself included) only feed weekly, or even less frequently if the feeder is large. Just give it some time to settle in, and try again. Or try leaving a prekilled feeder in with it as was suggested.

Additionally, cursing is very much against forum rules, so you may want to edit that out, or if you can't, either contact a moderator or report the comment so that it can be edited out
I usually feed a few hours after I rehouse them, but some will take a while to start eating. As long as there's water available to the T, I wouldn't be concerned. Leave a prekilled prey item in and check in after a day or so to see if it fed.
As others stated, not eating for a week is nothing to even bat an eyelash at... especially after being shipped and rehoused, and for a species like B. albo. You can try leaving pre-killed in overnight, or try offering a live roach once a week (remove it if she doesn't eat it).

As a side note - Make sure you are feeding your roaches fruits and veggies so they are providing optimal nutrition to your T!
First of all sorry about the curse words and i will be careful about my language on the forum from now on.

20181011_045336.jpg I'll try to post the pic again hopefully this time it works. I know the signs of a premoult (dark plump abdomen, muted colors on the body etc) but im not sure if im seeing them as this is my first T :D.

After this pic she literally walked over it and sat on it lol. The dubia flipped over and buried itself so i had to coax her away to dig it out, i was stressing the poor girl out even more but shes really sweet. With all my mistakes so far 0 hair kicking and no threat postures. Im concerned about her not using her hide as well so if you guys have any critique about the enclosure feel free to let me know. Cheers :)(

weibkreux

Arachnoknight
Wait for your T to get used to its new environment and settle down. You can put a pre-killed prey as the others mentioned above.

Im concerned about her not using her hide as well so if you guys have any critique about the enclosure feel free to let me know.
I also have a B. albo and most of the time she's out, I seldom see her using the hide I gave her.
Yours look plump so no worries if she doesn't eat for now. Just don't bother her too much so she can settle down. :)

p.s. you can crush the dubia's head or cut its legs so it won't burrow

and sorry for the double post..

Last edited by a moderator:

Luka98

Arachnosquire
Wait for your T to get used to its new environment and settle down. You can put a pre-killed prey as the others mentioned above.
I also have a B. albo and most of the time she's out, I seldom see her using the hide I gave her.
Yours look plump so no worries if she doesn't eat for now. Just don't bother her too much so she can settle down. :)

Thank you for this i really appreciate it and dont sweat it thats good to know, it's crazy how fast they can burrow. I'll leave her be today and let her get settled and ill update you guys on my next try. Cheers :D
And heres another pic i snapped before i put it the tree bark you can see the abdomen better
20181010_233446.jpg

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
I usually wait 2 days to feed a tarantula after being rehoused, however at the size yours is it can go a couple months without food (if it had to, but it should eat within about 2 weeks generally). If you were keeping it on paper towels for a week it might even need a few extra days because it probably stressed it out somewhat.

Luka98

Arachnosquire
I usually wait 2 days to feed a tarantula after being rehoused, however at the size yours is it can go a couple months without food (if it had to, but it should eat within about 2 weeks generally). If you were keeping it on paper towels for a week it might even need a few extra days because it probably stressed it out somewhat.
Yep feel so guilty about that but i had no other option :( . Thank you for the info and ill just try to be a little patient with her as she settles :D

MissouriArachnophile

Arachnoknight
My B. Albo ate yesterday 2 medium crickets (ment for some younger T's but they refused my catering service), then closed off the entrance to the hide. Typically out and about, I have had it since April and this is the first time it has closed the hide off. When it molted last time it was out in the open, think it just wants privacy. If you got a dubia colony get some more t's or plan on selling dubia.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Just a question, not attacking or anything of the sort, why do people wait to feed? I've always fed after an hour or two (sometimes right away when I don't have much time) after being rehoused and I've only had a couple refuse (out of the 60 or tarantulas I've had, less than 10 outright refused food mainly due to premolt).

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
Just a question, not attacking or anything of the sort, why do people wait to feed? I've always fed after an hour or two (sometimes right away when I don't have much time) after being rehoused and I've only had a couple refuse (out of the 60 or tarantulas I've had, less than 10 outright refused food mainly due to premolt).
I dont think It matters a whole ton, if a T is a good eater its a good eater, some are just picky in general.

Luka98

Arachnosquire

I just tried to feed her again and no luck, then i remembered what you said about the head and BOOM in a matter of 2 minutes of the headless roach running around she flipped it over and just went to town on it! Such an awesome display! The roach was just a tad big for her so she wrestled it for a second it was super exciting to watch. Thank you so much for the tip :D . Now i understand why people dont simply have one tarantula after seeing the girl hunt.

weibkreux

Arachnoknight
Did she do the happy dance? I love it when my girl do the happy dance!

Congrats on your first feeding! :)
Now i understand why people dont simply have one tarantula after seeing the girl hunt.
Love to watch different tarantula sp do their own thing. A ravenous genic, an OBT who loves to offer hugs, pet holes like my balfouri and seemanni, and so on.. :D

Luka98

Arachnosquire
Did she do the happy dance? I love it when my girl do the happy dance!

Congrats on your first feeding! :)

Love to watch different tarantula sp do their own thing. A ravenous genic, an OBT who loves to offer hugs, pet holes like my balfouri and seemanni, and so on.. :D
Not yet, i've left her alone to do her thing but i can still hear the crunches hehe. Now i'm thinking of getting a second one even tho i told myself only one. Either a ferocious hunter like the geniculata or a gorgeous versicolor

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Most of my Ts will eat right away after a rehouse, but not after being shipped/unpacked. It is just a matter of preference... if the T isn't ready to eat then the disturbance could just add to the stress.

Also, sometimes I do rehousings separate from feeding days... so that T will just have to wait until the next feeding day like it would have in its old enclosure.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Nearly any true spider myglamorph i capture or purchase will eat almost instantly even if you've literally just hauled them out of a foot of soil, but Ts are so fragile they just have to mentally recover for a week after being shipped :p