Do tarantulas not care about plastic/glass when it comes to dens?

Phases

Arachnoknight
Quite a number of my Ts have built or dug their dens right up on the glass. Which is awesome! Others have not.

The timid ones bolt into their dens when you approach, or turn on lights or whatever, but they don't seem to care that you can walk right up to them and stare at them from a foot away through the glass.

How come they don't go find more private shelter if they are that nervous, is it just the .. tightness of the area? The fact that they are in their own webbing that is yet to be breached - so 'must be safe'.

Some face the glass some don't. Some lock up, some wiggle around. Maybe they DO care, but feel better at least in their dens.

Just curious what people think.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I think they are often oblivious due to their poor vision. The enclosed space is usually enough for them to feel safe. Most don't realize they are visible through the glass unless they are left in a well lit room.

Some species are far more light sensitive and will not feel secure unless they are in complete darkness.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Complete opposite for me, my Metallica doesn't care wandering about in the day regardless, my Regalis however legs it into her hide at mach 3 the second a light is turned on.
My big female P.regalis couldn't be bothered less when I point the flashlight on her. My P.mettallicas hate the light and try and get away from it, goes to show you how individuals differ...

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
My P. metallica went both ways. Sometimes when I'd flick on my closet light BAM-- to the hide. Then there were times where she would just sit there.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Like, Pokies? My metallica seems super afraid of the light

@Nightstalker47
Mine are the complete opposite, no hiding when lights are turned on, they don't bolt when the enclosures are approached, I think in part it may be down to the fact they're in glass enclosures which are less flimsy than acrylic or deli - cup enclosures, it's something I've noticed as well. My Omothymus has stopped bolting into its web curtain as of yesterday, it's always at the entrance of its burrow, huh go figure, of all my spiders the schioedtei is the most reclusive but has stopped being soooo reclusive since I added more cover and gave it more floor space, I suppose it's all relative to the species and area that it's kept in.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Like, Pokies? My metallica seems super afraid of the light

@Nightstalker47
My P. metallica went both ways. Sometimes when I'd flick on my closet light BAM-- to the hide. Then there were times where she would just sit there.
My P. subfusca LL sometimes bolts from the light but doesn't seem to care most of the time, my surviving H. maculata sling seems to hate the light but I do occasionally spot its feet draped over the top of its cork bark.

Phases

Arachnoknight
I'd take a video of what my metallica does when i expose him to the light but it just feels mean! I mean the dude truly freaks out.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Quite a number of my Ts have built or dug their dens right up on the glass. Which is awesome! Others have not.

The timid ones bolt into their dens when you approach, or turn on lights or whatever, but they don't seem to care that you can walk right up to them and stare at them from a foot away through the glass.

How come they don't go find more private shelter if they are that nervous, is it just the .. tightness of the area? The fact that they are in their own webbing that is yet to be breached - so 'must be safe'.

Some face the glass some don't. Some lock up, some wiggle around. Maybe they DO care, but feel better at least in their dens.

Just curious what people think.

They don't see well. The wall is just a SOLID surface to make a tunnel against, nothing more. However, many Ts will over time web up clear wall so you can't see inside. Sometimes if you shine a white light in, that will disturb them too. The more you do that, the more likely a T will web up the wall. However, not all do this.