Do tarantulas need light?

PancakesHimself

Arachnopeon
I want to buy a T but my roommate hates spiders and would definitely kill it if he finds it, so im planning to keep it in my drawer, could living in darkness harm the spider?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Don't take this personal but in my opinion this sounds like a recipe for a perfect disaster.

Isn't a good idea to bring a spider when the environment you have to share (for whatever reason) is shared with a 'spider hater' or an arachnophobic person.

As you already guessed, the closet, the drawer etc or else isn't the problem. The problem is what will/can happen if your roommate should find that.

Think about this.

PancakesHimself

Arachnopeon
Chris LXXIX i plan on moving out soon, if everything works out my T will still be a sling when it happens

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I want to buy a T but my roommate hates spiders and would definitely kill it if he finds it, so im planning to keep it in my drawer, could living in darkness harm the spider?
Why? I dont like dogs, but wouldnt dream of killing one if i see one! Sorry to say, but even if he is arachnofobic, he doesnt have to be ignorant!

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Why? I dont like dogs, but wouldnt dream of killing one if i see one! Sorry to say, but even if he is arachnofobic, he doesnt have to be ignorant!
It depends on if roommate just 'hates' spiders (and other creepy crawlies) or has a genuine fear of them.
If it's true fear (arachnophobia) the person may agree in theory that spiders are an important part of our ecosystem (so, not ignorant) yet still be terrified knowing one was in their home.
To find out later someone brought a T in anyway could be considered a real betrayal. (Yeah, you and I know there are probably dozens of spiders already in any home, not seen, hiding in corners, etc.). But this would be a deliberate act. It has also been discussed a few years back that some folks are actually more triggered by a sling than a larger T (suppose it's because they look more like true 'spiders').
More info needed from OP re: hate vs fear - but either way, I am for full disclosure. Or simply waiting to get one after moving out.

scott308

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Dogs (and cats and other mammals) typically have legal protections that would penalize someone for harming them. Spiders and other inverts generally don't. As a result, many people don't seem to see any problem with killing a spider, even though it may actually be a beloved pet. And yes, legally a spider should have the same protection a dog has, but try getting the police (or most anyone else) to actually take you seriously if you call to report somebody for killing one.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes i know, i only ment that even if you are afraid of spiders, they ate living beeing and killing one seems unessesary.

scott308

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
But most people don't see them as anything other than pests. Have you ever killed a fly or a mosquito? That's how the vast majority of people view them, so they have no problems killing one.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
My man, I'm sorry but we (with 'we' I mean we that keep arachnids at our homes) should already had figured out this pretty well, since we are in 2019.

Certain animals (dogs, cats, birds etc) are "social accepted*" since forever, while certain animals, period... nope. And they will never.

Pointless to talk about "biodiversity" or else, it doesn't matter: for that by majority of the (worldwide) population (as pointed out by @scott308) arachnids are viewed as mere annoying and harmful pests.

No Police or whatever officer would persecute a man/woman that smash, literally, 100+ 'widows' in a row, while, in no time (and it's absolutely logical) that same Police officer would arrest a man/woman for torturing/killing a dog.

*and it's perfect.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Chris LXXIX i plan on moving out soon, if everything works out my T will still be a sling when it happens
A sling is obviously more 'easy' to Ninjutsu-hide than a juve/adult one, with the enclosure and whatnot still... why the rush? As pointed out before by @Killertut, wait a bit, no? :)

Katiekooleyes

Arachnosquire
Try telling your housemate that your T is a "land octopus", that's NEVER failed in my experience...

In all honesty though, it might be better to wait until you move out. There's no point in trying to find ways to dishonestly keep an animal that you know will cause drama or harm in the household.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Get the cage setup and let him see it, tell him the Tarantula is just in its burrow he wont dig to check. See how his reaction is before you buy a Tarantula.

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
That is kind of cruel. what is a sling going to do? what is a full grown T going to even do. humans are like giant titans easily threat to Ts. Ts are often photosensitive, meaning if you take a bad photo of them they'll cry and threaten a divorce...erm

but uh, yeah dude just wait a bit, your spider pal will be ready for you when you are ready for it.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Stop being selfish. Just wait until you live somewhere that isn't putting your T at risk.

Dogs (and cats and other mammals) typically have legal protections that would penalize someone for harming them. Spiders and other inverts generally don't. As a result, many people don't seem to see any problem with killing a spider, even though it may actually be a beloved pet. And yes, legally a spider should have the same protection a dog has, but try getting the police (or most anyone else) to actually take you seriously if you call to report somebody for killing one.
You can press charges for destruction of property. Even animals that have anti-cruelty laws are considered "property" and you can seek restitution for their value. It doesn't bring the animal back, but it might make the person think twice about killing someone's pet again.

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
You can press charges for destruction of property. Even animals that have anti-cruelty laws are considered "property" and you can seek restitution for their value. It doesn't bring the animal back, but it might make the person think twice about killing someone's pet again.
a tragic way to teach someone a lesson.

Derivative

Arachnosquire
I dislike arachnophobes alot there is no good reason for them to be afraid of spiders so much they would kill them. I'm scared of centipedes but whenever I see one in my house I dont squish it I just grab a catch cup and move it outside. I dont mean to be harsh but they anger me with there logic. Their logic goes like this " I dont like it so I will kill it even if there is no reason other than irrational fear". Arachnophobes who kill spiders tend to be erm… not as logically sound and capable as other people.
Anyways my real answer to your question is that you should wait till you move out to get a tarantula.