Do tarantulas need exercise?

goodyt

Arachnosquire
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351100643.563404.jpg

I have this beautiful Honduran curly hair who is in a small tank right now just because I'm need to get another one. I was wondering if should I be taking her on little walks to keep her circulatory system good? Do tarantulas need exercise?

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It is not a dog.You are thinking WAY to much into it.Just let it be a spider,and do spider things.They spend most of their lives in a burrow anyways,and no one makes a treadmill that small anyways....Oh,and add some substrate to that before it takes a dive should it decide to climb.

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No. But sometimes middle aged tarantulas need to be put on statins such as Lipitor ;)

LBman

Arachnopeon
I normally take mine to the tarantula park so it can run around and play fetch with the other tarantulas. that way it wont get to fat:laugh:

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
Well as you heard from the other posts, T's don't need excercise, thay try and maintain as much energy as possible, ie they may sit in the same spot for hours or days then have a walk,eat,drink, Etc, depending on the individual T some hide some don't not specific to any species but individual behavior.

arachnofab

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
. . . I give mine a hamster ball to run around in sometimes ;) totally kidding - i had to :D It's cute though.

Kazaam

Arachnobaron
............................................________
....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
.............................,.-”...................................“-.,
.........................,/...............................................”:,
.....................,?......................................................\,
.................../...........................................................,}
................./......................................................,:`^`..}
.............../...................................................,:”........./
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/
..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
................................`:,,...........................`\..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\

goodyt

Arachnosquire
Lol everyone!!! :D She's much less likely to climb the walls when she has had some out of cage time.

Yes, she has no hair on her abdomen, but we have finally gotten past the getting to know you phase. She rarely flicks anymore.

yodaxtreme545

Arachnosquire
10 minutes a day on the eleptical will suffice. Make sure they change their routine up periodically so they don't plateau.

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
View attachment 109369

I have this beautiful Honduran curly hair who is in a small tank right now just because I'm need to get another one. I was wondering if should I be taking her on little walks to keep her circulatory system good? Do tarantulas need exercise?
Well at least you didn't ask if it's getting ready to moult because it has a bald spot

Actually if you add substrate to that tank it looks like a pretty good size for the T, they don't need a huge amount of space =P

persistent

Arachnopeon
Also Ts don't get to know you. They want nothing to do with you. Stop anthropomorphising and start observing and learning!

As suggested before. Just a little bit more substrate to break possible falls and the enclosure is more than adequate.

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel
Lol everyone!!! :D She's much less likely to climb the walls when she has had some out of cage time.

Yes, she has no hair on her abdomen, but we have finally gotten past the getting to know you phase. She rarely flicks anymore.
if you continue to take her out of there environment constantly your just stress the hell on her. try to reduce the amount of picking up they need to feel safe in there encloser not to mention you could have an accident by constantly doing this and we know nobody wants anything bad to happen to there T's

cmcghee358

Arachnoknight
10 minutes a day on the eleptical will suffice. Make sure they change their routine up periodically so they don't plateau.
This made me laugh as I tried to imagine what an eliptical would look like for an eight legged creature. My logical mind couldn't fathom it's construction so it eventually turned into a machine akin to something Dr. Seuss would imagine.

Thanks!

Osmo

Arachnosquire
That tank looks like the ideal size for her. i wouldnt get a new one but I would add more sub to whats in there.

RockinOutAmber

Arachnosquire
Just totally had a vision of me walking my T around with a little harness and leash through the pet store... HAHA