Do I need to change out substrate?

Willka

Arachnopeon
I have a lil GBB sling—my first time keeping it—and I’m paranoid. It looks like there was some leftover food I gave it rotting and now I can see teeny tiny white specks moving where it’s rotting. I can’t get to the spot it’s at but wondering if I should clean everything out and start anew. Pls help

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
Posting a picture would help. Are you really unable to reach the rotting food item to remove it? Using long forceps or chop sticks? The tiny white spots are mites, which aren't a problem in small numbers, but huge population explosions of mites can occur if you just leave rotting prey remains in your sling enclosure. You should probably post a picture of the enclosure, as it sounds odd that you're unable to clean it, and maybe we should check how you've got it set up. Changing substrate is not routinely done in well set up enclosures, but if you can't maintain an enclosure, maybe you do need a change. It sounds like something is wrong. We're here to help. Good luck 👍

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
So completely changing out substrate is not something I have ever found necessary to do outside of rehousing a tarantula. You should be able to get to prey in a sling enclosure and don’t worry about destroying any webbing it won’t stress it out or bother it. Also it should be pretty dry in there that prey shouldn’t be a huge problem with mites getting out of control but those could have been springtails as well depending on how much moisture is in there.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have a lil GBB sling—my first time keeping it—and I’m paranoid. It looks like there was some leftover food I gave it rotting and now I can see teeny tiny white specks moving where it’s rotting. I can’t get to the spot it’s at but wondering if I should clean everything out and start anew. Pls help
Yes

TarantulaMan138

Arachnosquire
Those little white spots are going to be mites and I would most definitely recommend changing out all of the substrate and making sure that there aren't any mites on your T. before putting it back in its enclosure specifically because it is a sling they are definitely a little more fragile as they are smaller and you wouldn't want those mites to end up harming it.

slocoj91

Arachnosquire
Those little white spots are going to be mites and I would most definitely recommend changing out all of the substrate and making sure that there aren't any mites on your T. before putting it back in its enclosure specifically because it is a sling they are definitely a little more fragile as they are smaller and you wouldn't want those mites to end up harming it.
Harm the sling how?

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
The white specks are most likely mites, and no, they will NOT harm your tarantula. Scoop the culprit source out with a spoon. Dry the enclosure out completely. Problem solved.

A mite explosion in a dry enclosure is simply not going to happen.

slocoj91

Arachnosquire
Mites ore like tiny parasites, they can cause disease or eat other creatures similar to the way that plant mites suck nutrients from leaves and stems.
This is incorrect. The mites you'll see are utilising the T for scraps from around the mouth, if there's a heavy infestation and little food, or for transport to food sources. Grain mites, for example, which also feed on mold growth/decaying material. They're not desirable because they can surge in numbers, and as that happens they spread out. It can be a pain to control. Large numbers may well stress a T, as there's a reasonable chance they can feel some movement in their hairs if they're on the body.

However, mites that feed on living creatures are generally pretty host specific. There's a thread about that explains this, which I don't have a chance to find the link for, but the summary is - if you find a mite that genuinely appears to be feeding on a tarantula, then get in touch with an arachnology lab because they would very much like to see it. Rare doesn't quite cover it.

TarantulaMan138

Arachnosquire
The white specks are most likely mites, and no, they will NOT harm your tarantula. Scoop the culprit source out with a spoon. Dry the enclosure out completely. Problem solved.

A mite explosion in a dry enclosure is simply not going to happen.
You have heard of predatory mites right? Just saying

Willka

Arachnopeon
Sooooo after my initial panic I was able to eventually get the scrap out and letting it dry out. Seems to have done the trick.