Do i need an ICU?!

SpiderQueenLizzy

Arachnopeon
Few minutes ago i found my green bottle blue t in a death position. When i picked up her cage she moved very slowly. I refilled her water dish and tried to feed her. She refused to eat. Now however she seems fine, and is moving around making webs in her cage. Her movement doesn't even look off.

SpiderQueenLizzy

Arachnopeon
Few minutes ago i found my green bottle blue t in a death position. When i picked up her cage she moved very slowly. I refilled her water dish and tried to feed her. She refused to eat. Now however she seems fine, and is moving around making webs in her cage. Her movement doesn't even look off.
This is her drinking out of a puddle of water next to her water dish. Does she not understand that there is more water in her dish because of the water absorbing crystals? They are suppose to be good for insects and tarantulas because they absorb and release water for long periods of time.
14994050509922057247818.jpg

cold blood

Staff member
This is her drinking out of a puddle of water next to her water dish. Does she not understand that there is more water in her dish because of the water absorbing crystals? They are suppose to be good for insects and tarantulas because they absorb and release water for long periods of time.
There's your problem. A t cant drink from that, just give it plain old water, just like you would drink, but in a dish...hehe. No wonder it was thirsty. It drank from a puddle, it will be fine, just add water;)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
No. Do not put a GBB in an ICU.
Take out the watercrystals, they are not necessary at all, theraphosids can drink from a dish just fine.
It probably just didn't want to move earlier. ;)

SpiderQueenLizzy

Arachnopeon
No. Do not put a GBB in an ICU.
Take out the watercrystals, they are not necessary at all, theraphosids can drink from a dish just fine.
It probably just didn't want to move earlier. ;)
But to be in a death position? If she was just being lazy and relaxing she sure scared the shit out of me!

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
But to be in a death position? If she was just being lazy and relaxing she sure scared the shit out of me!
She could be grooming, they take really weird positions during cleaning themselves. If she's walking around and webbing now she's just fine.
Why do you think she was in a death curl? Pictures can help for future reference ;)

SpiderQueenLizzy

Arachnopeon
There's your problem. A t cant drink from that, just give it plain old water, just like you would drink, but in a dish...hehe. No wonder it was thirsty. It drank from a puddle, it will be fine, just add water;)
I always thought that but the crystals seemed to work when i went away for a week and they were fine. But i always kind of knew that that would be the problem. I've seen her drink before. I just didn't understand why she wouldn't drink if she needed it.

SpiderQueenLizzy

Arachnopeon
She could be grooming, they take really weird positions during cleaning themselves. If she's walking around and webbing now she's just fine.
Why do you think she was in a death curl? Pictures can help for future reference ;)
Her legs were all underneath her except for one or two. She wasn't on her back either, and she was moving a little slower when she did move. I would have uploaded a video of her moving around but it wouldn't upload.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Her legs were all underneath her except for one or two. She wasn't on her back either, and she was moving a little slower when she did move. I would have uploaded a video of her moving around but it wouldn't upload.
Ah, in that case I definitely think she was grooming. Look up a video of a T grooming itself on YouTube. :)

boina

Lady of the mites
Just to mention it again: Tarantulas don't do well with these water crystals, they need real water without anything in it. If she was fine with the crystals when you left for a while it's probably because tatantulas often don't drink at all for long periods of time - but they need water when they do become thirsty.

Charlie69

Arachnosquire
A tarantula can't drink from water crystals. Remove them and give her water. GBB is an arid specie, icu could kill her.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Why can't they drink the moisture off of a water crystal? They drink moisture off a of lot of other things just fine. When you touch a hydrated crystal your fingers get wet. What would be the difference?

The main reason people normally use water crystals with bugs is so they don't drown. That's not a worry with Ts as they can't drown (without a lot of help). Water will evaporate from the crystals almost as quickly as plain water in a dish. So they don't really help with that problem. They don't need water crystals but that doesn't mean they couldn't drink from them IMO. I'd be a little worried about water crystals in the un-hydrated sand form as they are tiny and might be swallowed by the T causing problems.

I'd recommend taking them out. They don't really provide any benefits I can see over a dish of water for tarantulas.

Good luck with your GBB. I'm glad to hear she is doing well.

boina

Lady of the mites
Why can't they drink the moisture off of a water crystal? They drink moisture off a of lot of other things just fine. When you touch a hydrated crystal your fingers get wet. What would be the difference?

The main reason people normally use water crystals with bugs is so they don't drown. That's not a worry with Ts as they can't drown (without a lot of help). Water will evaporate from the crystals almost as quickly as plain water in a dish. So they don't really help with that problem. They don't need water crystals but that doesn't mean they couldn't drink from them IMO. I'd be a little worried about water crystals in the un-hydrated sand form as they are tiny and might be swallowed by the T causing problems.

I'd recommend taking them out. They don't really provide any benefits I can see over a dish of water for tarantulas.

Good luck with your GBB. I'm glad to hear she is doing well.
Hm, interesting. I don't think the water crystals would be wet enough, at least the ones I bought once for crickets felt kind of like jello, but not really wet - and they dried out within a day. Maybe I should have hydrated them more? I don't know. I do know though, that tarantulas can drink water, so I personally wouldn't take chances and just give them water.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Hm, interesting. I don't think the water crystals would be wet enough, at least the ones I bought once for crickets felt kind of like jello, but not really wet - and they dried out within a day. Maybe I should have hydrated them more? I don't know. I do know though, that tarantulas can drink water, so I personally wouldn't take chances and just give them water.
I use a tablespoon for about two quarts of water. They swell up from the grain size to about 3/4 an inch in a rough cube shape. If I go more water it starts getting soupy. Hydrated like that if you roll one around in your hand it leaves a wet trail.

You are right that they are not needed for Ts since they can't drown and that's about the only reason you use water crystals for bugs.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
@SpiderQueenLizzy Use normal water in the dish. Regardless of whether or not they cannot or will not drink a crystal (imo an unnatural thing) the fact remains is you already saw evidence of it not drinking the crystal and instead opting for real water.