Do grain mites survive on grains/mealworms stored in the fridge?

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Planning to buy a large quantity of mealworms and plan on storing them on oat substrate. I’ll be letting them sit out every few days so they can feed and then placing them back in the fridge. Would keeping them in the fridge keep grain mites at bay?

I know that mites are generally not a problem, but I would rather not deal with them.

cold blood

Staff member
You do NOT need to pull them out to feed them....they're dormant in the fridge, so they won't need to be fed....you don't even need to keep them on any substrate in the fridge.

But yes, you won't have a mite issue in a refrigerator.

Bob Lee

Arachnobaron
You can "freeze roast" them if you aren't planning on breeding, and just tong feed them to your animals. They can last more then five years after being freeze roasted.

cold blood

Staff member
sure, but IME, their preference would be just a piece of carrot....or apple.

cold blood

Staff member
As an addition, yes. As only food - no. Too much protein. Mix with some oat meal and maybe a slice of carrot if you want to go all out (I do. That's exactly what I feed.)
exactly what i do, too...oats as sub and chunks of carrot or apple.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
How much would you put in? I was planning on using some Cheerios, a skinless slice of apple and then a pinch or two of this? I have 300 meal worms so not sure how much is too much

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The fridge won't stop the grain mites (they don't care about temps), but they'll be slowed down just like the mealworms.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
The fridge won't stop the grain mites (they don't care about temps), but they'll be slowed down just like the mealworms.
Is there any good way to prevent them? I’m a bit paranoid that I’ll have some since I set some out mealworms in a container with Cheerios and fish food

StampFan

Arachnodemon
Is there any good way to prevent them? I’m a bit paranoid that I’ll have some since I set some out mealworms in a container with Cheerios and fish food
Based on my questions to @boina previously I've started rinsing off my superworms prior to feeding to eradicate grain mites before putting in an enclosure. Haven't done it with my mealies though, no evidence that I've seen any in my mealies....likely because they are stored in the 'fridge (i.e. they don't work their way in there in the first place, as opposed to my supers which are kept on a cool basement floor and the grain mites work their way in there).

boina

Lady of the mites
Well, don't everdo it with the veggies. The only time I had grain mites in my mealworms was when I threw in too many veggies. Mites do need at least some moisture after all. I don't refrigerate my mealies, I just keep them in a tub of oat meal and throw in a piece of apple, carrot, broccoli stem, or whatever I have around once a week and I haven't had problems with mites.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Well, don't everdo it with the veggies. The only time I had grain mites in my mealworms was when I threw in too many veggies. Mites do need at least some moisture after all. I don't refrigerate my mealies, I just keep them in a tub of oat meal and throw in a piece of apple, carrot, broccoli stem, or whatever I have around once a week and I haven't had problems with mites.
Got it, would it be okay to take them out a few hours before feeding so they can eat as much of the Cheerio/oat/fish flake/apple before feeding? I was thinking about giving them a thin slice of apple and then taking it out before I put it back in the fridge

boina

Lady of the mites
Got it, would it be okay to take them out a few hours before feeding so they can eat as much of the Cheerio/oat/fish flake/apple before feeding? I was thinking about giving them a thin slice of apple and then taking it out before I put it back in the fridge
My preference would be to give them at least a day of feeding before feeding.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
My preference would be to give them at least a day of feeding before feeding.
Got it, I’ll just put out however many I need into another container and then feed those off. Thanks for the responses!

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
I have a few containers of super worms stacked next to my computer and there's mites all over them. I feel like I should do something because every time I sit down there's all these moving specks of dust on the containers, but at the same time I never find them on my desk, so I also don't really care. Kind of interesting to see their population grow over time too.