Do crickets molt?

white_feather

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have some feeder crickets in a tank and I just looked at them. One is all white. I found the skin that it shed ad was wondering what was up with that?

El Viejo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have some feeder crickets in a tank and I just looked at them. One is all white. I found the skin that it shed ad was wondering what was up with that?
Crickets do molt. That's what you saw. They will stop molting once they get their adult wings.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
All arachnids and insects molt. Crustaceans too.

calum

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yes they moult lol. Mmmmm, freshly moulted, lovely soft cricket.

what could A T want more?

calum

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
last time I tried that, the T ran away and I ended up with 3 eggsacks. no one knows the father.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I wouldn't consider the metamorphosis of a butterfly or a beetle molting.
Mealworms molt during their nymph stages. Mealworms are beetle larvae.

Caterpillars molt throughout their nymph stages as well. They do not molt once they mature; insects mature, breed, then die.

El Viejo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Mealworms molt during their nymph stages. Mealworms are beetle larvae.

Caterpillars molt throughout their nymph stages as well. They do not molt once they mature; insects mature, breed, then die.
Once an insect grows its wings it will no longer molt.

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hats off to you, man. I always learn something when I read your posts (no sarcasm).

--the nature boy

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I work in a PetSmart and we had a white cricket in the feeder bin. I knew it had just molted and it was no big deal but my coworkers who were...um...new at this, proceeded to name it and told me I couldn't sell it. I couldn't quite get it through their heads that it wouldn't be white for long {D

gbbgirl

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I thought they were albino crix when I first saw a white one. But, after 2 years of being the cricket b at preuss pets, I've learned differently. They molt. It's cool to watch, and beardies and t's love the soft, white crix.

Sooner

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
On the crustacean side note, this is where you get the soft shelled crabs..

Mmm, post molt crabs...

SandyMuffinCakes94

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
When i got my first scorp never read up anything on them and i just left it in the tank and months later when i cleaned the tank this GROSS white thing was in there ... yuck thoes things are annoying, cute when worms, but yuck.