Do Centipedes from different variations have non-thigmotaxic behavior

crashergs

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
(thigmotaxic) meaning the tendency to stay close to or in contact with walls or objects and to avoid open areas.

My tiger always needs to be on something squished however my subpinepes cares less, as long as he finds a hiding spot. Is this natural for non-thigmotaxic behavior? What other species do not like to be tightly squished on objects? This guy just chills and lays on the substrate and the occasional cruising. cheers!

Last edited:

Scorp guy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
my subspinpes does the EXACT same, no problem, just keeps em warm. mine will stay squished under his water dish and comes out about once every two weeks. if you wanna try to get him outta there if its a problem for you, try misting the wa;;s of his enclosure, that always helps with mine{D

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i don't know what causes it, but i've seen a pretty broad range of behavior regarding burrowing and thigmotaxy, even in the same individual over time

some of my cents will burrow like they are scared of the world for months on end... then all of a sudden the seem to forget how to dig and stay on the surface for ever

i imagine temp/humidity/vent play a large part

juggernaut

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hey dude

:? What the HeCk!.. is thigmotaxic? is that a word? Can not look it up

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
juggernaut said:
means they like to be pushed up/ rest against something solid
i reckon it has to do with how they move

it's pretty funny to watch a centipede anchor it's back half to a smallish chunk of substrate and then like, tip over

crashergs

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
caco! sorry for the latenight call bud u sounded like u were 4 hours into sleep haha! just call me sometime when your available
cheers!

insect714

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
juggernaut said:
ETYMOLOGY:
Greek thigma, touch (from thinganein, to touch; see dheigh- in Indo-European roots) + -taxis

Meaning that it needs to be touching something, like the feeling of a security blanket to a child

Last edited:

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
crashergs said:
caco! sorry for the latenight call bud u sounded like u were 4 hours into sleep haha! just call me sometime when your available
cheers!
ha!
that's pretty much how i sound all the time. i think i actually type faster than i talk

and i KNOW i talk faster than i think!

so... well, i'm not sure what that means