1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do Birdeaters play in water?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Vetteviper5, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Vetteviper5

Vetteviper5 Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Hi! I'm new to this whole realm of pets but I have a 4-year-old female Brazillian Pink Salmon Birdeater that I got about 4 months ago or so. She's amazing, about 7 inches from toe to toe. I love her! Her previous owner told me that he never noticed any sort of aggression in her and that she had never flicked hairs at him or anything. However, lately whenever I go to pour water into her dish, she runs right over and jumps into the stream of water, trying to grab it. She also LOVES to sit in her water dish like she's taking a bath. Is this normal? Or do I just have a weirdo on my hands? lol. I know she's not dying of thirst because I make sure her water is fresh every day.

2. Theneil

Theneil Arachnodemon Active Member

USA
    Its normal. Many T's strike at the water stream.

3. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

A t striking at the water is a typical feeding response.

Sitting in a dish is a sign that you need to dampen part of the substrate.

• Agree Agree x 8
  4. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnoreaper Arachnosupporter

Typical feeding response.

It sitting in/over the water dish is your T telling you the substrate is too dry though, just overflow the water dish or dampen an area and repeat when it dries out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Vetteviper5

Vetteviper5 Arachnopeon

Great, thank you all!

6. Mvtt70

Mvtt70 Arachnobaron

Running at the water is a feeding response, probably means she'd eat.

7. I have a lasiodora parahybana as well. I keep fresh water in his dish and spray a corner of his enclosure every day that way he has options
    He "attacks" his water too. It's perfectly fine. (My guy is also a weirdo )