Do all geniculatas have poor table manners?

Dovey

Arachnobaron
This is sort of an odd posting, but I've never cared for a geniculata before and don't know if this is normal or not. I just took this genic into my care the day before yesterday, and since yesterday was feeding day, I thought "what the heck" and offered her a dubia.

Here's the weird part. This morning when I opened up the bin to check on her, she had opened that dubia up like an oyster and sucked all the juice out of the middle, leaving two intact half exoskeletons...perfect exoskeletons, like she'd opened the thing up with a can opener or snipped it in half with a pair of scissors! I lifted out the pieces, obviously, and marvelled.

But tonight, I noticed that there was movement in the soil and took a closer look. To my astonishment, I actually saw little gnats and their horrible tiny maggots! I poked through the soil and found lots of parts of old feeder insects that obviously have been attracting these little carrion-eaters. Either they've been in there for a while, or when the water dish splashed around in the car, it created too tasty a feeding ground and gnats from somewhere in my house found their way into the bin [insert shudder here].

There aren't enough of them to present a clear and present danger of any sort, but I suppose the lesson here is don't moisten other people's substrate. The previous owner clearly was not big on removing leftover parts.

So here's my question: are geniculatas typically this violent and strange in their eating habits, or do I just have a little Hannibal Lecter on my hands who really gets into evisceration and dismemberment? Cause let me tell you, there were body parts buried everywhere!

Pretty disgusting. I'll be moving her into a new home with fresh substrate tomorrow. And the nasty gnats are being expelled to the garden compost heap--along with all of the substrate that came from the previous home. Bleh!

sasker

Arachnoprince
Name one tarantula with proper table manners... They all have weird ideas about what is appropriate, like dunking left overs in their water bowl. Or take my LP. I thoroughly cleaned her water bowl, gave her fresh water and the next day I saw she already took a dump in it. Again. Why?! :banghead:

BC1579

Arachnobaron
Name one tarantula with proper table manners... They all have weird ideas about what is appropriate, like dunking left overs in their water bowl. Or take my LP. I thoroughly cleaned her water bowl, gave her fresh water and the next day I saw she already took a dump in it. Again. Why?! :banghead:
I see. My stirmi loves mixing up a nice poo cocktail herself.

At least she couples her disgusting habits with a winning personality. 312D27D9-9E5A-4A64-9F6E-5BE248687863.jpeg

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
My T. stirmi does something similiar, but she puts all her garbage in one corner of her hide to assure I can't get to it :shifty:. Keeps the springtails happy though, sometimes I'll just check in on the garbage pile to watch all of em.

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
This is sort of an odd posting, but I've never cared for a geniculata before and don't know if this is normal or not. I just took this genic into my care the day before yesterday, and since yesterday was feeding day, I thought "what the heck" and offered her a dubia.

Here's the weird part. This morning when I opened up the bin to check on her, she had opened that dubia up like an oyster and sucked all the juice out of the middle, leaving two intact half exoskeletons...perfect exoskeletons, like she'd opened the thing up with a can opener or snipped it in half with a pair of scissors! I lifted out the pieces, obviously, and marvelled.

But tonight, I noticed that there was movement in the soil and took a closer look. To my astonishment, I actually saw little gnats and their horrible tiny maggots! I poked through the soil and found lots of parts of old feeder insects that obviously have been attracting these little carrion-eaters. Either they've been in there for a while, or when the water dish splashed around in the car, it created too tasty a feeding ground and gnats from somewhere in my house found their way into the bin [insert shudder here].

There aren't enough of them to present a clear and present danger of any sort, but I suppose the lesson here is don't moisten other people's substrate. The previous owner clearly was not big on removing leftover parts.

So here's my question: are geniculatas typically this violent and strange in their eating habits, or do I just have a little Hannibal Lecter on my hands who really gets into evisceration and dismemberment? Cause let me tell you, there were body parts buried everywhere!

Pretty disgusting. I'll be moving her into a new home with fresh substrate tomorrow. And the nasty gnats are being expelled to the garden compost heap--along with all of the substrate that came from the previous home. Bleh!
You think those are bad table manners I gave my Hogna Carolinensis a cricket once and woke up the next day to poop EVERYWHERE!!! Like her enclosure looked like a taco bell bathroom. It was all over the substraight inside her water dish EVEN ON THE WALLS!!! The worst part was this was when it was waaaaaay to cold to go outside and get more substraight (I caught her in the wild so I swing dirt isn't posing her much danger) so for like a week she just chilled in a taco bell bathroom of an enclosure

BC1579

Arachnobaron
You think those are bad table manners I gave my Hogna Carolinensis a cricket once and woke up the next day to poop EVERYWHERE!!! Like her enclosure looked like a taco bell bathroom. It was all over the substraight inside her water dish EVEN ON THE WALLS!!! The worst part was this was when it was waaaaaay to cold to go outside and get more substraight (I caught her in the wild so I swing dirt isn't posing her much danger) so for like a week she just chilled in a taco bell bathroom of an enclosure
Ah yes, the butt-sneeze.

Dovey

Arachnobaron
Yeah, in reference to the fun do you name your tarantulas thread, I think I'm going to call my genic F5, because she's about as neat and elegant as a massive wedge tornado barreling through town!

About that threat posture thing, how is she able to throw a threat posture WHILE rushing my tongs/me? Can they actually run on six legs while waving two up in the air at you and hissing? Or does she have some sort of weird galluping pace going on? I've never seen one do that before. It's fascinating. And funny. And nigh on to intimidating. o_O What a complete little baggage she is...I love her!

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
"Theraphosa do the most vile and disgusting things to water bowls"
^this came to mind reading this :D

For the gnats, go outside and look for a little tiny jumping spider and release it in the enclosure. Just make sure it's too small for the genic to bother with eating and is the right size for eating gnats

Truetran

Arachnopeon
See my versi is so polite! She mashes her crickets up into a little ball and leaves them just outside her web for me every time! Now she might be scared shitless (sometimes literally) by me and literally anything else within a kilometer of our house but she knows what spoons to use when!

starnaito

Arachnosquire
Hmm, my adult A. genic is pretty clean, and I mostly feed superworms. He never leaves a scrap behind. Actually, come to think of it, only my arboreals are really messy (poop streaks all over, ugh).

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
My genic sling parades its food around. It’ll grab it, lift it in the air, and scuttle around aimlessly with it for about a minute or so before settling down to eat.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Hmm, my adult A. genic is pretty clean, and I mostly feed superworms. He never leaves a scrap behind. Actually, come to think of it, only my arboreals are really messy (poop streaks all over, ugh).
Mine's not pretty clean, she's surgically hygienic, A. Hygieniculata. I have never seen an identifiable bolus in her enclosure. Plus, without fail, after every meal she prominently displays her "polishing the fangs" ritual, secretions dripping. I can almost hear the sinister, "Mwah, ha, ha, ha....".

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
My genic sling parades its food around. It’ll grab it, lift it in the air, and scuttle around aimlessly with it for about a minute or so before settling down to eat.
Some of mine do that too..but i think mine do to see if there is more food coming in. Try throwing a second feeder in and see what they do...
@Dovey , your genic hisses?? I don't think I've read about an A.geniculata stridulating before. The walking on six legs, yes, I've seen mine do that too.
Kind of adds to their awesomness imo...a stridulating, stalking ravenous murder tank...
Or in my case, a stridulating, stalking ravenous murder squad :D

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
My A. geniculata, on the most part (Apart from that roach that squirted all over the enclosure) has been a perfect dinner guest - boluses left in the same area for me to remove, so as with all T's they all have different tendencies. Most T's are extremely clean and in my experience one of the cleanest animals.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
A typical - LP's amongst others - :spitoutdummy: