1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DKS (Dyskinetic Syndrome)

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by JC, May 28, 2010.

1. maxxxieee

maxxxieee Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    As a new T owner, I find this thread most helpful to identify symptoms I may otherwise know nothing about. Thank you! :)

2. Type of tarantula: H. incei, sling.
    2 contracted what I think was DKS. They were NOT from the same eggsac but could have been from the same father.

1) Temperature range. 70F to 80F.

2) Humidity range. Both were kept in damp coconut coir, in regular household humidity

3) Was a clean water bowl available at all times?(Yes/No) No, as they were slings.

4) Feeder item background information(Species and what the food items ate/drank). Crickets from the LPS; water from misting

5) What where the first symptoms that made you suspect your spider had DKS? Walking uncontrolled and fast, like they were having seizures; then scrunched up along the side of the container in a deathcurl-like position.

6) How long after purchase did the symptoms arise? 1 year

7) Did the specimen ever recover? No.

8) If it recovered, did it ever show signs of DKS after the recovery? n/a

9) If the specimen died while still displaying signs of DKS, how long after it contracted DKS did it die? The first sling died within 3 days. The second sling hung on for 2 weeks.

10) Were sibling/parents of the affected spider in your care? Did they show similar symptoms? No, I bought the slings from xhexdx.

11) Did you ever witness any fungus growing in the enclosure prior to the spider showing symptoms of DKS? No.

12) Where there any pesticides spray in or around your home? We use Frontline on our dogs, Advantage on the cat, and no sprays of any kind are allowed in the tarantula room. The dogs do stay in the room w/the tarantulas though. Also, my husband sprays for roaches outside of the house, but I always make sure the windows are closed for a couple days after he sprays.

13) Do you own any cats or dogs? Yes, 3 dogs, 1 cat.

14) If the specimen recovered, please provide info on how the care regimen was changed or what was done to aid recovery. n/a

3. Jenthevet

Jenthevet Arachnosquire

AL
    1) Temperature range. --> Between 71-82.

2) Humidity range. --> 30-50% in room, T had water bowl in her enclosure 24/7

3) Was a clean water bowl available at all times?(Yes/No) --> Yes

4) Feeder item background information(Species and what the food items ate/drank). --> mostly store bought crickets. Occasional superworm. I stupidly offered her a WC insect once (an injured cicada. Damn me)

5) What where the first symptoms that made you suspect your spider had DKS? --> ambulating very off-balance and jittery, stopped eating

6) How long after purchase did the symptoms arise? --> acquired T when she was about six years old from a woman who said she raised her from a sling. Started about three months after I got her.

7) Did the specimen ever recover? --> No. She molted and I thought she'd get better but she actually got worse. She is currently in my lap dying. :'(

8) If it recovered, did it ever show signs of DKS after the recovery? --> n/a

9) If the specimen died while still displaying signs of DKS, how long after it contracted DKS did it die? --> about nine months

10) Where sibling/parents of the affected spider in you care? Did they show similar symptoms? --? n/a

11) Did you ever witness any fungus growing in the enclosure prior to the spider showing symptoms of DKS? --> none

12) Where there any pesticides spray in or around your home? --> no environmental pesticides, fertilizers, etc. were ever used. However, I did put a single dose of Frontline Plus on my pets last summer and I found one of my cats lying atop of my T's enclosure. Thought perhaps some of his pesticide-laden fur fell into the enclosure and exposed my T (this was before I had all my Ts moved into a room where no other pets can get in). I thought a molt would cure my T. No such luck. :'(

13) Do you own any cats or dogs? --> yes. Five cats, three dogs

14) If the specimen recovered, please provide info on how the care regimen was changed or what was done to aid recovery. --> She didn't recover but I was giving her water via a dropper before her molt and also some homeopathic Belladonna 12X. After her molt, I thought I saw her drinking once but started giving her water via a dropper again as well as some cricket soup. Nothing helped. :(

4. Armpit

Armpit Arachnosquire

1) Temperature range.
    75-85f - there have been some hot days where it reached 90, despite a/c

2) Humidity range.
    65-70% roughly

3) Was a clean water bowl available at all times?(Yes/No)
    yes

4) Feeder item background information(Species and what the food items ate/drank).
    originally pinhead crickets, then moved on to small b. lateralis

5) What where the first symptoms that made you suspect your spider had DKS?
    dropped a roach in, and instead of the usual chow down, he looked as if he was having a seizure, flailed backwards, etc.

6) How long after purchase did the symptoms arise?
    a month or so

7) Did the specimen ever recover?
    no

8) If it recovered, did it ever show signs of DKS after the recovery?
    n/a

9) If the specimen died while still displaying signs of DKS, how long after it contracted DKS did it die?
    one day, two nights.

10) Where sibling/parents of the affected spider in you care? Did they show similar symptoms?
    a friend owns a sibling, so far no signs

11) Did you ever witness any fungus growing in the enclosure prior to the spider showing symptoms of DKS?
    none, enclosure is clean

12) Where there any pesticides spray in or around your home?
    i had recently applied topical flea solution to my dog, but did not come in contact with the spiders. the other four tarantulas do no express any symptoms

13) Do you own any cats or dogs?
    1 dog, 2 cats - though the neighbors dog and cats often hang out. it's a zoo here.

14) If the specimen recovered, please provide info on how the care regimen was changed or what was done to aid recovery.

i'm feeling a little down due to his death, so my responses are bland. sorry. here is a link to the thread i created for him.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/sho...rried-about-G.-pulchra-sling-(maybe-premolt-)

and two videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSwwZTFl-no

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsFwBjF5p34&feature=relmfu

5. Just a quick question, I dont mean to ruin the thread here but is DKS also known to happen to true spiders or is it just the Tarantula family?

6. le-thomas

le-thomas Arachnobaron

The spider in question was a P. murinus around 1 inch. This was one of the ones that I had raised from a sling, so not a newly-acquired one; the spider was webbing fairly well, settled in, eating, etc.

1) Approx. 70-87 F (depending on time of day).

2) 55-65% (complete estimation since I don't measure this. Pretty dry but with slightly damp substrate).

3) No.

4) Common crickets and mealworms were offered and readily consumed. Crickets were purchased from Petco and were fed dog food, cricket diet (high-protein powder), and water crystals with a touch of added calcium. No sign of health problems have since been shown from my other tarantulas.

5) Spastic movements and twitching. When disturbed the spider would attempt to react but instead would flail around.

6) Approx. 2-3 months.

7) The specimen did not recover and was dead the next day.

8) Did not recover.

9) About a day or less (unsure since I was gone all day).

10) Two (assumed) siblings of the spider are still under my care and haven't showed any symptoms as of now. I'll post again if this happens.

11) No fungus growth was witnessed.

12) Aside from frontline used on the dog (who doesn't go upstairs or near my room), no.

13) A cat and a dog, as well as a ferret and a guinea pig, none of which are allowed into my room or near the food source.

14) No recovery.

7. Anonymity82

Anonymity82 Arachnoprince

No one's sure it even runs in the tarantula family.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Legion09

Legion09 Arachnoknight

Parallax. Psalmopoeus irminia. 2.5" DLS. Referred to as male, sex unknown. Owned since July 20th. Molted twice in my care. Once on 08/18/12 and on 09/21/12.

1) Temperature range.
    Home kept at a constant 74 degrees F.

2) Humidity range.
    Unknown. Desert air with the occasional spritz of bottled water when the moss dries out.

Yes

4) Feeder item background information(Species and what the food items ate/drank).
    Brother decided to feed him wild caught (from inside the house) cricket. He thought it was one of mine. Adult cricket.

When I moved the enclosure to check on him, he backed up quickly into his own web haphazardly. Suspected, but wasn't sure. Later in the day, I checked on him again and noticed very spastic movement, including scrunching up and falling off the cork bark (roughly an inch). Made his way back into his web/hide, tearing it up a bit on the way.

Symptoms occurred on 10/15/12

Appears to have made a full recovery.

Unknown, will be moved back into his enclosure tonight, 10/18/12.

9) If the specimen died while still displaying signs of DKS, how long after it contracted DKS did it die?
    NA

10) Where sibling/parents of the affected spider in you care? Did they show similar symptoms?
    NA

11) Did you ever witness any fungus growing in the enclosure prior to the spider showing symptoms of DKS?
    Some fungus was in the enclosure the week prior to DKS symptoms interlaced in the spaghnum moss. Believed to be a cricket bolus, I took out the affected moss and proceeded care as normal.

None used in or around home.

No.

14) If the specimen recovered, please provide info on how the care regimen was changed or what was done to aid recovery.
    Placed him in a small deli cup lined with paper towels and with a bottle cap water dish. Paper towels were sprayed with bottled water, water dish was filled. A black bandana was placed over the cup to limit light and the cup was placed on top of my snake enclosure, roughly 6 inches from the heat lamp to raise the temperature of the deli cup to roughly 85 degree constantly. This was done on 10/15/12. Progress was observed incrementally the next day, but control was still an issue and over reacted to all stimulus. on 10/17/12, it was observed that while he kept himself scrunched rather tightly, he had less trouble moving when disturbed. The evening of the 18th, it was observed he had full control over movement while not keeping himself scrunched up. (Staying in typical Psalmopoeus stance). To test control, a small cricket was placed in the enclosure. It was immediately pounced upon and eaten. Web inside the deli cup was also observed.

At this point I believe him to be mostly, if not completely, recovered. After he is finished eating, he will be transferred back to his, freshly moistened and cleaned, enclosure.

Several spots of off white/non-pure white poop were observed in the ICU. I believe this was all attributed to the wild cricket.

9. Anonymity82

Anonymity82 Arachnoprince

This happened awhile ago but didn't think to post it here. Why? I don't know. Anyhow here it is.

[YOUTUBE]jnNd9iV7S3Q[/YOUTUBE]

This was my H. mac sling. It was always kind of twitchy but shortly after I fed him he did started spazzing. Ultimately my opinion on this is some sort of blockage/impaction but since it involves dyskinetic behavior I'll post it here.

1: ~75 F

2: Unsure. Misted once a week. Dried completely in a week's time.

3: He was in tiny sling container. So no water dish.

4: I fed him the same thing I feed all my arachnids. Crickets from PetSmart. The other ten arachnids ate and were fine. Some slings, scorpions and true spiders.

5: He was twitching uncontrollably. He was always kind of twitchy but being an H. mac he didn't hang out too much. He was usually in his burrow. I just assumed he was being startled by my presence and would twitch as a response.

6: Hard to say. Burrowed most of the time. I didn't realize he was really sick until a day or two before he died.

7: Nope

8: ~~~~~

9: It took about one to two days after it started twitching uncontrollably.

10: ~~~~~

11: No fungus witnessed

12: The dogs get frontlined but my other inverts (around ten at the time) were fine, but nothing else around the house.

13: Two dogs.

14: ~~~~

I eventually accepted that it was impaction. The next morning after I put him in an ICE I noticed a droplet of what looked like hemolymph on his abdomen while on his back in a death curl.

I was really hopeful that he was trying to molt but soon realized that I was just being hopeful and not realistic.

10. Zeezums

Zeezums Arachnosquire

4 in G. Rosea

1. ~70 -75 F

2. Humidity - Dry

3. Water bowl - Yes

4. Food - Crickets from a LPS, (all of my Ts had them)

5. First symptoms - Extremely reactive to anything. The front door would slam and he would flail about uncontrollably.

6. He was given to me from a friend that travels too much along with a B. Smithi about the same size and a MM P. Regalis. The rosea starting showing symptoms about 2 months in my care (the smithi and regalis have never showed symptoms)

7. The specimen has still not recovered.

8. N/A

9. N/A

10. No siblings or parents, but as stated before the other Ts i received along with the rosea have never shown symptoms, not to mention the other 15 Ts on the bookshelf with the rosea.

11. No fungus

12. A bug guy comes to my apt every 2 months, I expressed to him that I owned tarantulas and asked him what would happen and he told me that the chemicals he sprays require a spider to actually come in contact with it (walking over it) for the spider to be harmed in any way. I have also lived in this apartment for 1 1/2 years with tarantulas and have never experienced any problems.

13. 1 dog and 1 cat. They both get treated with advantage. I have had the dog for 3 years and I have kept Ts for 2 1/2 and this is my first experience with DKS so from MY personal experience, I would say it is fair to rule this out as a cause. However, it could be possible for the chemical designed to kill ticks could somehow be related if someone were to pet their animal and handle their tarantula, but my dog is constantly up my ass and i also handle my Ts quite frequently. So again, I dont think this is a cause.

14. The specimen has not recovered but has been showing symptoms for almost 3 months now. I find this extremely strange because from the other posts ive read, their Ts die within days of showing symptoms. At first, I had no idea what was going on, i just thought the rosea was "freaking out" and I even (unfortunately, but i know now!!) would tap its cage to show my friends and we would laugh at how weird it was being (I AM SO SORRY AHHH!!) I left him in his enclosure most of the time and after he wasnt showing any signs of recovery, i decided to do some research. I have had him in an ICU for almost a month now in a dark warm place attempting to trigger a molt (that is no where near). He has eaten once in 2 weeks. It is very hard to feed him, i had to hold the cricket under his flailing fangs until he finally gripped it, but cant do it anymore. In the past week, I have pinch-grabbed him (hardest thing ive ever done) about 3 times to drop water onto his mouth. Great results- he sucks the water immediately. He appears to be regaining control of his movements (very slowly) but it is a good sign. I will continue to pinch-grab and hydrate him until I can see better progress in his ability to move.

Will update with progress! Crossing my fingers!

Here is a video of him :(
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr6VZy-1kus

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  11. Remingtonsteel

Remingtonsteel Arachnosquire

One of the causes is already known.fipronil is a chemical used in a lot of flea and tic medicines
    Arachnids exposed to this chemical can't receive chlorine ions through thier GABA and GluCi receptors
    Causing loss of nerve control before death.thier might be a connection between the anti-mite crap they spray on mice bedding
    And certain keepers obsession with feeding live vertebrate prey to thier Tarantula .the syndrome is almost definitely caused by overdose of pesticides.but some of the real knowledge on forums gets buried by constant relay of poor information ,
    Signal vs.satic ,if you will

12. Arachtion

Arachtion Arachnobaron

UK
    Sorry I couldn't get more info as I only came across this thread after the events, but in 13+ years of keeping spiders I had never had a case of "DKS" until recently which since I have had 4 cases, the correlation between them seems to be since I have been keeping them cooler and that they have all been Asian and 2 of which were wild caught, first was a MM Haplopelma sp. "Vietnam" which I can't put down for sure but could have been old age but was a particularly bad case that went on for some time I eventually took the decision to euthanise him as I felt he had no chance of survival and leaving him to suffer was cruel, so nothing can be really took from that as his MM status clouds any investigational merit in terms of cause, second was a juvenile female L.violaceopes/singablue she as all Ornithoctoninae (even arboreal) as juvenile decided to burrow into the sub which is all well and good beside the fact she moulted in there which was barely wide enough for her to crawl down let alone moult, I dug her up and somehow she had got out but had lost a leg, it was fully off an didn't appear to be bleeding and her movement seemed normal (well as normal as a recently moulted spider anyway) however I looked a day or two later and I noticed her curling under slightly and wriggling like they do with "DKS" I immediately ICU'd her she seemed to improve a little but never really got stronger I tried putting her on her back and syringing water around her mouthparts but it was all in vain and she eventually gave up which was pretty upsetting, next was the female adult Haplopelma Vietnam, she had laid a sac around 3 week before it happened (so weakness dehydration may be a factor) I immediately ICU'd her and put her in the vivarium with my Burmese as it is warmer and more humid, I kept checking her and dampening the tissue and periodically "rousing" her (don't ask why I just figured it may encourage her to fight) but this time she came around eveventually and she is I'm pleased to say back to her evil and angry self, and lastly was my 4-5cm legspan Chilobrachys guangxiensis juvenile, I noticed it curled up in it's tub so checked it and saw the familiar signs AGAIN... So I just repeated the vigil I had "refined" over the previous 3 cases, this however was a young and reasonably healthy spider unlike all the other 3 which I can attribute at least IN PART down to stress/strain factors owing to reproduction/moulting cycles, although the Chilobrachys may have moulted recently I can't quite remember but the only other factor in common was all being kept cooler, and also I can say I think water definitely plays a part as the ones that have survived both seemed to drink more but also I kept them warmer whilst ICU so maybe the elevated metabolism in conjunction with good humidity was the decisive factor that helped the former two survive, could it be the temperature or is it a combination of things? Harvesting data from situations that aren't designed as experiments is always gonna be hard, I do however wish I'd taken better approach to the first two and saved them, upsetting but I feel I learned something, if not about causes/husbandry mistakes then about first aid in terms of these situations which I feel are mainly due to dehydration for whatever reason, we forget how hard they work and how much it takes out of the little guys maybe it's not always as easy as just getting a drink when it's needed?

---------- Post added 03-31-2013 at 02:33 PM ----------

Funny you should say that, my snakes share the T room and were treated for mites, perhaps some got into the air etc, seems to make sense, I thought that myself but I thought something that was designed to kill something as small as mites wouldn't affect them, although in hindsight, I suppose pesticides are pesticides, and seen as most of my cases have been weaker spiders and ALL have been cases subsequent to the mite treatment maybe it's a cause for sure

13. great mormon

great mormon Arachnopeon

Hi guys, I think one of my pokie juvi got a bad case of DKS and is in a death curl now. I've placed her in an ICU and she seems to be twitching her fangs in and twitching weakly when she sensed my approach. She was doing fine ever since and suddenly just got into a death curl position. She has been sitting in the ICU for a couple of days now, but there doesnt seem to be any improvement. My experience with sick Ts is that they usually dont last more than 2 days in the death curl position... Any advice would be great.

14. Snitler

Snitler Arachnopeon

I have not had any personal experiences with DKS, but I was thinking, what if it isn't caused by a virus or genetics? It could be possible that it is caused by a Transmissible Spongiform Encephalapothy. If the feeder insect has the prion and is then fed to the spider, it could receive the prion and it and then change the certain proteins within the spiders brain to a different conformation. This could possibly explain how it can exhibit symptoms similar to DKS in humans since it is showing signs of nervous system damage. In human, diseases like Cruetzfelt-Jacobs Disease, Mad Cow Disease, and Kuru causes seizures and sporadic behaviour until we eventually die from our inability to function our brain. Perhaps this same thing could happen to the spider if it is fed prey that has the prion. I don't have any evidence supporting this, but it seems like a plausible theory.

15. batterybound

batterybound Arachnopeon

My C. cyaneopubescens sling 1/2" has started showing signs of DKS. I recently purchased it along with 4 other slings. None of the other slings have shown any symptoms. It has eaten 4 pinhead crickets (from the vial provided by Swift's) in the 9 days that I have had it. I have fed the same pinheads only to all the slings and the other slings were kept in the same conditions.

1) Temperature range. Usually 68-70. One night, close to when symptoms started, it fell to 62 due to forgetting to shut a window before bed. I suspect this may have played a part.

2) Humidity range. Kept humid by misting one side of the substrate every other day. Did not dry out.

3) Was a clean water bowl available at all times?(Yes/No) No- small sling

4) Feeder item background information(Species and what the food items ate/drank). Pinhead crickets. Has eaten 4 of them in 2 weeks that I have owned it. Appetite was healthy until symptoms appeared. Ate 2 days before the symptoms started.

5) What where the first symptoms that made you suspect your spider had DKS? Yesterday I opened the enclosure to look at it and it was very shaky, and wiggled all of its legs before relaxing. Today it is extremely sensitive, and has a violent fit at even the slightest of vibration

6) How long after purchase did the symptoms arise? less than 2 weeks

7) Did the specimen ever recover? Still alive, has been 1 day since discovering symptoms. Will update.

8) If it recovered, did it ever show signs of DKS after the recovery? See above

9) If the specimen died while still displaying signs of DKS, how long after it contracted DKS did it die? See above

10) Where sibling/parents of the affected spider in you care? Did they show similar symptoms? No. 4 other slings of different species were purchased at the same time. No other sling has symptoms.

11) Did you ever witness any fungus growing in the enclosure prior to the spider showing symptoms of DKS? No

12) Where there any pesticides spray in or around your home? No

13) Do you own any cats or dogs? 1 cat. I do not use any flea treatment with her. I do work with dogs, and come into contact with the spot-on flea treatment at work. I am always very careful to thoroughly wash my hands before coming into contact with my spiders. I have not handled this spider. All of the cage maintenance and feeding was done with tongs.

14) If the specimen recovered, please provide info on how the care regimen was changed or what was done to aid recovery. Will update

Right now it is in an ICU that I have placed above the fridge. It has available one pre-killed pinhead cricket. I will update with any progress. Cross your fingers for this one... I was really excited to add it to my collection :(

16. Jacobchinarian

Jacobchinarian Arachnoknight

Large Poecilotheria Ornata female

1) 65 to 70 degrees, but when I went on vacation for a week my mom put the thermostat on "vacation mode" which dropped the temperature down to 45 degrees. As you can imagine, I was very upset on the last day of my vacation when my mom told me.
    2)Around 60% to 80%
    3)Yes
    4)Mostly petsmart superworms.
    5)Shaking and loss of motor control.
    6)7 months.
    7)Nope:(
    8)She did not recover.
    9)Almost a year.
    10)I never knew any siblings or the parents.
    11)No
    12)Not that I know of.
    13)No
    14)She never did recover. She completely lost her appetite once she started displaying symptoms and only ate once in a one year period. I think she ultimately died of starvation.

17. batterybound

batterybound Arachnopeon

Update on C. cyaneopubescens sling

18. sierra53

sierra53 Arachnopeon

A. metallica, mm not sure its DKS but looks like it from everyone elses videos. Uncontrolable muscle or hydraulic movements in the legs.

i will answer these questions but, whats weird is this guy never had this problem before, not untill after "ultimate molt" He has his spurs and has had them for months now. The problem im having be it DKS or not has been going on a while ....maybe about 4 months.

1)70-74
    2)? low maybe 20% room sealed from rest of house heater runing 24/7 (dries air out)
    3)yes
    4)standard brown crix ..from local pet store that keeps them well. maybe a few moths earlier in life along with some naturally cought black shell crix
    5)just after ultimate molt...started doing the sezure thing..also not eating. figured eating would be from mature molt, now i think both these symtoms and mature male charactoristics are at fault for this
    6)3yrs or so
    7)not yet still has it....will prolly die from starvation
    8)see question 7 answer
    9)not dead yet
    10)not mated..no others have this...not even other spider that i purchased the same time.
    11)yes..when he was about 3" kept in touperwear container...like a container you keep cereal in ..lots of air holes, container held humidity too well and too hard to keep clean after he got bigger. I had a crix infestation...baby crix then mold from keeping the water dish full...web was wickening it into the soil.
    12)no
    13)yes both...not mine my roommates..they dont have access to my room
    14)not recovered yet. cage is the same, i belive sperm web was built...this is aboreal so the web is a funnel shape and vertical rather then like a sheet style on ground dwelling sp.

no video, sorry i would like him to get better but he has not eaten in ages and just seems stressed or worn out too much to bother with. He is like "scared" and hides most of the time. Has a hard time clining to glass in enclosure...verry clumbsy and lost lots of weight...but he is at his final stage in life so im lost on what to do or if i just got to hang a clock on him and unfortantly wait.

19. hearsemadam

hearsemadam Arachnosquire

1) Temperature range.

72-75 degrees (tarantula enclosures are kept in a closed cabinet with flex watt)

2) Humidity range.

50 -75% is the overall reading inside the cabinet. each tarantula has its own watering bowl and/or regimen

no, this guy is still small, his container is misted as needed with R/O water

small crickets purchased weekly from same reptile dealer. I feed them flukers orange, plus carrots and romaine and give them water crystals (non calcium type) also purchased from reptile dealer

it seemed to not be able to bear weight then it walked very poorly - uncoordinated gait

sling was purchased 8/11/13, molted 8/26/13 and 10/15/13 without incident. symptoms noticed during daily wellness check on 10/25/13 around 5 pm

it has been in ICU for 72 hours and is showing minimal improvement

it is still in ICU

still alive

no, and the person who has 2 from same hatch doesn't report anything unusual

no, enclosure is clean and substrate was recently changed

we do not use these in my home

I have 3 cats, none of which are on any medications or monthly flea topical (strictly indoor only)

we are still keeping this guy in ICU

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  20. prettycrazy

prettycrazy Arachnopeon

My mature male A. Avic passed away recently. During his final 2-1/2 weeks left I had noticed development of DKS.

Between 70-80f room temp, with no additional heating (although care and intervention if temps go too low). Generally 75.

50-80% Misting of the cage around every 2 days. Never drenched, though I did overfill the waterbowl slightly to dampen the substrate a little more.

Yes.

Always fed crickets. Never tried worms. I live in Florida so it was fairly difficult to obtain roaches, so for most of his life with me he had never had the choice of them. Though recently I have located a place and tried to feed a roach, but he had already been refusing food for the past 2 months.

He had fallen at some point in his cage, and hurt himself slightly (It wasn't that bad. There wasn't any flowing or gushing blood, and it healed quickly). I checked on him one day and he had "erratic" movements when I touched him, I assumed to be some type of pain. The wound had healed, but two weeks after this his movement had become much worse, about 3 times worse compared to the first time I had saw it. The first time I had noticed it, he swung his limbs around quickly while moving. It wasn't 'dramatic', so I didn't think much of it at the time. After it had worsened his erratic movement was much quicker, and it was as if he was even vibrating (I've heard some people phrase it as a seizure, in terms of movement). At this point I did research and discovered DKS and realized that what I though was "pain" was actually DKS.

Can't give exact dates, but I had the T for about a year. It was bought from Petco as a subadult, and I believe he lived 6 months after his Mature molt.

No. I tried to rehabilitate him, but he did not improve. I hand fed him water with a Q-Tip, which he would actually drink from, but he refused to eat, no matter how hard I tried. I had left him in his own enclosure since he would actually drink water for me, as I felt that would be unnecessary stress to put him in an ICU.

He did not recover.

Can't give an exact date, but to my belief, 2-1/2 to 3 weeks.

I do not own the parents and he has never mated.

No.

They had sprayed once in my apartment, but all my tarantulas/animals were removed before they had sprayed and kept away for a period of time (not even near apartment).

Yes, both.

Did not recover.