DIY enclosure Enough Ventilation for a 1"+ sling?

CobaltMongoose

Arachnopeon
simple question. I've made this enclosure out of an acrylic storage container from Amazon. it's going to house my GBB sling.
enclosure-advice.jpg
I should have put the magnetic catches on the sides instead of the front -I'm not sure if I have enough holes or too many any feedback would be appreciated.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Don't know the size of your sling, but holes look too big.

Nice container.

They live in very xeric conditions, that should answer your question.

CobaltMongoose

Arachnopeon
Well, I sized the drill bit(1/8") to be smaller than its carapace, then used the next smaller Dremel bit (7/64"). Can they shrink their carapaces?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well, I sized the drill bit(1/8") to be smaller than its carapace, then used the next smaller Dremel bit (7/64"). Can they shrink their carapaces?
That would have been helpful information to provide us. How can we read your mind? :rolleyes::cool:

You'll be fine.

CobaltMongoose

Arachnopeon
sorry I thought my had would give close enough scale- but mine is actually narrower(spider-like?) than most. my bad. thanks for your advice tho!

Just please, don't tell me it needs more substrate...
IMG_20180421_182753_1.jpg IMG_20180421_183038_2.jpg IMG_20180421_182834_0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Don't worry, IME substrate is more than enough. My sling never even tried to burrow... it only webs. ;) I'd probably try to tamp it down a bit more, it gets more fluffier the drier it gets, and Ts don't like to walk on that. But maybe the pictures are deceiving my eyes (recently they tend to do that, especially early in the morning :p).

The only thing I'd definitely change are those round logs, sticking up to the very top. My sling loves to sit on top of its webbing.

On top of the world.jpg

But mine sits in a part of the enclosure that won't open when I open the lid, yours on the other hand could be sitting right on the edge when you open yours in the future. :wideyed:

Last edited:

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
Looks good! I actually keep the substrate a bit lower for my GBBs than for others because of all the webbing. So I think yer good. It seems a bit big for a 1" but heck. They grow fast and move around a lot. I think your T will be very happy!

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Deco that’s really close to the lid could encourage webbing on the lid. GBBs are known to web heavy;)

CobaltMongoose

Arachnopeon
Ya, I was not sure if the GBB was the exception as far as substrate depth was concerned. I was kinda going a little over the top for providing the anchor points. I think ill cut down the substrate a 1/3rd or even 1/2 and ill put the cactus cholla wood on their sides. I hope the higher airholes won't be a problem? I compared it to other stuff I see on youtube and I should be ok. Thanks for your advice everybody.

Last edited: