DIY CD enclosure ventilation?

Blonc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi everyone,

I've just bodged together my first DIY CD enclosure á la various youtube tutorials and it ought to do just fine for my L3 B.Albopilosum sling once it has molted once more. What I was wondering is how much ventilation I'll need to poke into the lid and sides since that's something the tutorials seem to have neglected. What's done so far is approx 30 holes handpoked with a hot nail in the lid. How much should I perforate the sides? Do I do all sides or just 1-2?

I've also got a couple of really tiny slings in small vials, how much ventilation is "good" for those if I only can do the lids?

Thanks in advance.

RonC

Arachnopeon
I put 11 holes 2mm in diameter in each side for my 100 mm square sling enclosure. Small enough that my T cant escape being only about 30mm dls. Some prefer cross ventilation rather than venting the top. The small vials I am not sure about. I would think as many holes as you can since they will be smaller and only in the top. Of course small enough the T cant escape. Disclaimer: I am new to the hobby so am not an expert.

Blonc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Guess I'll get back to heating up that nail then:) I was out to get a roughish estimate on what was a decent amount of holes. Btw, is dls short for diagonal leg span? 30 mm sounds about right for my B.Albopilosum so I might not even wait for a molt then, I'll just give it enough time to dry out the cocofiber a bit more.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
I just wing it for the amount of ventilation i put and i haven't had an issue yet, but i believe that in all occurrences more is better.

Edit: To answer questions more clearly, i vent the top and all sides on most of my enclosures and you are correct DLS is diagonal leg span (Tip of leg one on one side to tip of leg 4 on the opposite side)