DIY Arboreal enclosure prototype

WolfSoon

Arachnoknight
Don't be fooled. There're a lot of smears. :p My acrylic glue is quite good, but its texture is awful... it's too liquid to handle it without dripping sometimes, but still too viscous to use it with a syringe. :rolleyes:
But I guess it'll have to do. ;)
I dripped quite a bit of acrylic cement on mine accidentally, but luckily it’s mostly on the bottom and got covered with substrate eventually. :bucktooth:

Doc Ebola

Arachnosquire
Great looking enclosures. Top work. I'm seriously thinking about having a go at this. I'm very interested in how people cut the acrylic and drill it, or if they bought it precut. Also looking at Tensol 12 for bonding.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
I get my acrylic sheets pre-cut, but without holes. I could get pre-drilled holes as well, but that's quite expensive. ;)

Tensol 12 looks promising, but:

"No sellers are currently delivering this item to Germany - Mainland"

Sometimes I hate living in Germany. :banghead:

Doc Ebola

Arachnosquire
I get my acrylic sheets pre-cut, but without holes. I could get pre-drilled holes as well, but that's quite expensive. ;)

Tensol 12 looks promising, but:

"No sellers are currently delivering this item to Germany - Mainland"

Sometimes I hate living in Germany. :banghead:
Yeah, I was thinking precut for my first attempt. Best to learn how to walk before I try to run. And did you get the edges of the sheets polished? That seems to be an option that's offered, but I wasn't sure if that helps with bonding the sheets together or not.
I've visited Germany and thought it was lovely :)

Thekla

Arachnoprince
I have the edges never polished. IME it works well without doing so. :)

WolfSoon

Arachnoknight
I had mine precut as well, with routed edges. That seemed the easiest for my first time (but more expensive).

I used a special drill bit made for acrylic. I got a piece of scrap acrylic to practice drilling and had problems with melting the acrylic, so to ensure the extra neat holes I used water + baking soda to cool down the drill bit. I’m sure it’s not needed if you find the right speed with your drill. It just made it easier for me as a noob. ;)

I lived in Germany for a few months on exchange and would love to go back sometime. :)

JohnR

Arachnopeon
You guys have nice custom enclosures! I will probably go the same route building adult acrylic enclosures for my Ts in the future because my little ones are still growing so I am in the cheaper version making enclosures using display cases from Hobby Lobby.

Below are my 2 arboreal enclosure prototypes I just built for my slings who are outgrowing their current containers and will need a rehouse after their next molt.

This one is for P. cambridgei

452273A2-9E00-4AA5-89C4-0E16358E36A7.jpeg
79FE46BF-5014-4564-9F61-4F587F9AC86D.jpeg

For my (3) C. versicolor
4EA15994-65A2-4787-842E-6488C59700FD.jpeg
0CF7BB52-ED37-4A2F-9F8C-7925E144033D.jpeg

obg

Arachnopeon
Congrats. Nice looking build!
Thought this was going to be a "mod job" thread. Great to see scratch build projects. Drilling the vent holes is the most tedious task, for me, on builds. Practice makes perfect!
I build all my arboreal enclosures, 3 sizes, for uniformity and weight. Thinnest acrylic used is .080", thickest. 220" most are .160". The acrylic thickness is determined by the size of the enclosure I'm building. I prefer side hinged doors and use brass decorative hinges and latches. Plastic 2 part epoxy is used as the bonder. Some of my builds.
View attachment 262185

Question: Where can I buy Acrylic panels that I can cut on my own? I tried home depot and the big panels were kinda expensive i thought. Is there an online store that I can get a good deal from that has a good selection of thicknesses and square footage? Thanks in advance!

MrTwister

Arachnoknight
Most online places will cost a lot for shipping. Best bet would be finding a local plastic fab shop.