DIY 2-gallon polycarbonate terrarium for arboreal

sourpatchkid

Arachnopeon
56015D41-54FD-42F3-BF2C-A2C7457EA4E8.jpeg F6EE89D1-2216-415E-944A-AA5638809BFF.jpeg 27A1859A-A681-4C0D-8EEE-DE1877BEE994.jpeg 905CF87B-D04F-48C6-8815-B46A1DB34D75.jpeg 56015D41-54FD-42F3-BF2C-A2C7457EA4E8.jpeg
picked up an unused 2-gallon polycarbonate jug at the thrift store for $5. Soffits from Amazon <$.50 each, hatch lock thingies also from amazon <$.50 each. Handle is just threading a wire loop through two drilled holes. Hot glued the surrounding door so that it remains “stuck” when closed.

Inside: two coconut half shells glued as a large hide. Two water bowls near the top, behind the pothos plant.

Thinking about rehousing one of my Avicularia avic females in there.

Thoughts? Comments? Unhinged vitriol?

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Interesting enclosure and design.

But personally, I wouldn't use it for my Avics. At least not with such much substrate and a real pothos in there. Even with all the vents, it looks as if it could get really stuffy in there, which is something you would want to avoid at all costs.
Why didn't you just melt vent holes with a soldering iron? Less hassle, but way more effective if done right IMO. And they wouldn't block so much of the view. ;)

Also, I'd use a thin layer of dry substrate, fake plants and a cork bark slab extending from bottom to top for them to hunt from or relax. Then it might work for me.

Just my 2 cents. ;)

sourpatchkid

Arachnopeon
Interesting enclosure and design.

But personally, I wouldn't use it for my Avics. At least not with such much substrate and a real pothos in there. Even with all the vents, it looks as if it could get really stuffy in there, which is something you would want to avoid at all costs.
Why didn't you just melt vent holes with a soldering iron? Less hassle, but way more effective if done right IMO. And they wouldn't block so much of the view. ;)

Also, I'd use a thin layer of dry substrate, fake plants and a cork bark slab extending from bottom to top for them to hunt from or relax. Then it might work for me.

Just my 2 cents. ;)
Thanks for offering your thoughts. I don't have a soldering iron yet :) . Agree with the substrate, there's no reason to have so much. I was thinking the pothos could give it more areas to web, and also to observe its response when new leaves grow. My P. metallica actually used a pothos leaf to close his funnel before molting.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Real plants are nice but they'll web up fake plants just as much, believe me. ;) My C. versicolor loves them. :wacky:

I'd just rather stay on the safe side when it comes to the possibility of stuffy enclosures/conditions, especially with Avics and their relatives.

And get yourself a soldering iron. That was one of the best investments I made when I got into the hobby. :D