Dimorphism

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
1C11D539-DE4E-4369-8596-A9FFA96516C6.jpeg 7A6947B6-614D-4C1E-A90A-8504486678A1.jpeg C41FCA0D-83F6-457A-988C-042A23D6EC51.jpeg A1CA7488-9D99-45F9-8AD1-C88508FC3185.jpeg 48392069-4D1F-4815-8540-13264F9F061D.jpeg B5C4A567-9913-48D1-A4C4-4263E144C600.jpeg Dimorphism:

As some of you know I own 40 Brachypelma baumgarteni that are sac mates. Out of the 40 baumgarteni I have about 25 of them that are already showing nice colours and a bit of sub adult/adult characteristics. With my observation with these sac mates I have observed that some males or females have certain characteristics that don’t resemble other sac mates. As juveniles some have a light black coloration starburst pattern on the carapace which in some cases you see this characteristic on a mature adult baumgarteni. Some have darker coloration on the carapace that may cover the entire carapace as juveniles which in some cases you this on mature adults as well. The other dimorphism I see is the with of the carapace on some of them. Some seem to be wider than others. Also the satea hairs on the patella, tibia and metatarsal on some sac mates seem to be a little shorter and not as fuzzy compare to others that are longer and fuzzier. Some of these sac mates the coloration on the legs are either almost completely beige or beige with a bit of black coloration.

Anyways I thought I share with you some photos of dimorphism pure bloodlines B. baumgerteni.

These photos are of three different specimens.

BennyBTamachi

Arachnosquire
I would assume the blackish ones are eating roaches, and the orange ones eat more carrots... Do you have the same observation with your emilia @Ungoliant ?

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
These B. baumgarteni were exported/imported in 2016. They were born 2015. I’ve only seen photo of the female but never saw photo of the male. Though not sure if Jorge Mendoza bred the female himself or the female was already gravid. I do know however that the babies are pure bloodlines. Only Jorge is able to answer that question of whether the female was already gravid or whether he bred her.

I have a question for you guys. Can we say in some ways that the baumgarteni is like the N. incei because of the diversity/variants of offsprings in a single egg sac?

They ate crickets only until a few weeks ago that they started to eat night crawlers.

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Maybe Biological Polychromatism is a better description as there are more than two color forms?

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
These B. baumgarteni were exported/imported in 2016. They were born 2015. I’ve only seen photo of the female but never saw photo of the male. Though not sure if Jorge Mendoza bred the female himself or the female was already gravid. I do know however that the babies are pure bloodlines. Only Jorge is able to answer that question of whether the female was already gravid or whether he bred her.

I have a question for you guys. Can we say in some ways that the baumgarteni is like the N. incei because of the diversity/variants of offsprings in a single egg sac?

They ate crickets only until a few weeks ago that they started to eat night crawlers.
I dont know, man. I understood that the golden form of incei is something that didnt happened in situ, only in captivity. If I understood correctly, than you have to check if these color variants from the same sac happen in situ too. Lets wait for someone with more knowledge in the subject.

Maybe Biological Polychromatism is a better description as there are more than two color forms?
I know that polychromatism is the variant of colors within a species and sexual dimorphism is some characters that make male and female distinguishible.

However, I dont exactly when I can I draw a line between these 2 concepts.

For example:
In some Pokies (or all Pokies, idk), the dorsal pattern is different between males and females. But these patterns are also color variants, imo. So, are those dimorphism or polychromatism?

Last edited by a moderator:

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Interesting suggestion.

the dorsal pattern is different between males and
I find this idea to be absurd about pokie dorsal patterns for sexual dimorphism. The only one you can dorsally sex is the P. ornata. Every other pokie species I've seen & owned have almost the exact dorsal patterns via male or female.

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
Interesting suggestion.

I find this idea to be absurd about pokie dorsal patterns for sexual dimorphism. The only one you can dorsally sex is the P. ornata. Every other pokie species I've seen & owned have almost the exact dorsal patterns via male or female.
I have to work on my english harder. Lol.
I dont like this dorsal patterns things either, and I dont use this "method" at all. But since this kinda spread as a thing, I used it as example.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I dont know, man. I understood that the golden form of incei is something that didnt happened in situ, only in captivity. If I understood correctly, than you have to check if these color variants from the same sac happen in situ too. Lets wait for someone with more knowledge in the subject.
Yo! I was told by Emmanuel Goyer that there are variants of baumgarteni in situ same locality.
Interesting suggestion.

I used to examine pokies dorsally, but I also examined them ventrally to determine sex. I don’t find it absurd I find this stuff a good educational tool. I ventral sex tarantulas all of the time without sexing exuviae.

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Just to clear some confusion:

dimorphic= two forms (including color)
polymorphic= multiple forms (including color)
polychromatic= multiple color variations (color only, not form)

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Nope. Variation in color and pattern is normal genetic variability that occurs in organisms that reproduce sexually and should be expected. It would be a more strange situation if every spiderling would look exactly the same.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Can we say in some ways that the baumgarteni is like the N. incei because of the diversity/variants of offsprings in a single egg sac?
Unfortunately we cannot, for now what you are observing appears to be normal diversity within a given sac, after all progeny are not clones.

Incei is different, the production of gold follows a specific pattern, that is 3:1, 25% will be gold, and 75% will be olive (in a perfect world).