Digital Cameras

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I am going to buy a better digital camera. Not that my current camera is bad, but that I would like 5 mega pixels instead of 2, and macro abilities of less than one inch instead of six.

My current camera is the Canon Powershot A40 - great camera.

My replacement budget is $850 CDN. I was very attracted to the Nikon coolpix 5400, but it costs $1029 here. The Pentax Optio 550 has pretty much all the same features and is smaller than the Nikon, but can only go to 0.7 inches instead of 0.4 inches away from the target when taking macro pictures - no biggie.

Anyways, does anyone know of any cameras that are also worth looking at? Or have any experience with either the Nikon or Pentax?

thanks,

Mark

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mark, have you looked at the Sony line? the DSC-717 is pretty much a top of the line camera, the CD line of cams uses mini CD's for storage media, probably the cheapest form of media available in a digital cam.
Ed

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You don't have to go to 5MP to get great shots just so ya know. My Coolpix 4300 does quite well with its 4MP and costs a lot less than the higher up models simply due to being without unwanted bells and whistles such as the swivel screen and sound on the movie clips. You've seen some of my shots I'm sure and like I said it's only 4MP. The only time you will notice the extra MP is when you are blowing up huge prints but for regular size pictures it really never is a factor.

Phil

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thanks alot guys. I will also for sure look into the Sony line.

Thanks,

Mark

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I cant give you advice on cameras (I have a coolpix 2500, and im happy) but just please buy from ebay, and spend the rest of your money inverts and post high quality pics:p

steve055

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a nikon 5000 for sale with LOTS of extra's, thats right in your budget. Let me know if your interested.

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I did a lot of reasearch for the F717 a while ago, if you want more infos (all the links I bookmarked etc) ask me!

If you don't know, there are another model that replaced the F717 this year, I don't remember the model's name but it was way smaller than the F717 and it has all the same specs, it was a 2003 model, and the F717 is a 2002 model.

Frank