Digital camera

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Malkavian said:
The only brand I'll say stay away from is Sony---their F7xx line of cameras are awesome, but proprietary batteries and memory sticks are a huge hassle.

I'm extremely happy with my Fuji S602, though it's about 3 years out of date at this point

Nikon is good as well
the DSC-7xx line of Sony cameras have been replaced by the 828, which uses several different drives, including microdrives. I have a DSC717 and am very pleased with it (except for the large size of the camera).

Last edited:

Malkavian

Arachnolord
Old Timer
atavuss said:
the DSC-7xx line of Sony cameras have been replaced by the 828, which uses several different drives, including microdrives. I have a DSC717 and am very pleased with it (except for the large size of the camera).
Ah, that's good to know. If it takes microdrives it ought to take compact flash as well (same form factor isnt it?) I had the chance to use a 707 a few years ago to photograph a band competition, it was very nice but i'm with ya on the size issue.

I suppose the thing that turned me off more than the memorysticks was the battery--I own a DSC P1 that i got in 2001, and both the batteries I have for it have basically completely lost their charge (and once upon a time cost 50 bucks to replace) Supposedly there's a repair service for P1s that have this issue but I haven't sent mine in yet. To me the moral of that experience is: proprietary batteries never again.

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
If you have unlimited buckets of money the Canon EOS-Ds Mark II SLR (16.6mp) is the best there is. It is unmatched in 35mm format digital cameras in color accurracy and sharpness. In the January 2005 issue of Popular Photography and Imaging they compared and image take with an film camera and the same image taken with the Canon using the same lense and settings...the Digital Cannon won in the amount of detail and far exceded film in color accurracy...of course the camera costs $8kUSD at the moment. But it is something we will all be able to afford in a few years as the price of that level of digital imaging comes down.

Hell when I bought my DSC-F717 two years ago it was the first 5mp camera under $1USD...now you can get many 5mp camera for about $300. They might not hae as nice a lense as the Sony but that level of image detail is reaching the average comsumer.

John
];')

Last edited:

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sheri said:
Just make sure it has a macro setting (for inverts) and that it is not a canon.

I was told by someone I trust with regard to photography this information, and I feel confident in reiterating it here.
As Canon make some of the best lenses you can get, I'd personally disagree with that.

I'm looking at a Nikon next I think. But that can wait until Christmas :)

Jakob

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have both a Canon (Powershot A300, 3.2MP) and a Fuji (FinePix S7000, 6.3MP), and really like them both. Of course, the latter is better and I prefer it over the canon.

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Lopez said:
As Canon make some of the best lenses you can get, I'd personally disagree with that.

I'm looking at a Nikon next I think. But that can wait until Christmas :)

The one who educated me on cameras I would trust to deliver my conjoined twins... and he insisted that I stay away from Canon.

As such, I will take heed and pass along that info.

Malkavian

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Sheri said:
The one who educated me on cameras I would trust to deliver my conjoined twins... and he insisted that I stay away from Canon.

As such, I will take heed and pass along that info.

I'm not saying he's wrong, but i'm kindof curious to know what the reasoning is...most of the photogs I know carry at least one piece of canon glass in their kits.

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Love my Nikon coolpix (maybe one day I will learn to use it) have also heard good things about Olympus and can't argue with the pics vayu took with the Sony, lots of good cameras out there. Greg

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Malkavian said:
Ah, that's good to know. If it takes microdrives it ought to take compact flash as well (same form factor isnt it?) I had the chance to use a 707 a few years ago to photograph a band competition, it was very nice but i'm with ya on the size issue.

I suppose the thing that turned me off more than the memorysticks was the battery--I own a DSC P1 that i got in 2001, and both the batteries I have for it have basically completely lost their charge (and once upon a time cost 50 bucks to replace) Supposedly there's a repair service for P1s that have this issue but I haven't sent mine in yet. To me the moral of that experience is: proprietary batteries never again.

Memory Card Format Memory Stick (including Pro); CompactFlash Type I and II.
yes, it will use compact flash as well.
I am on my 5th Sony digital camera, and have never had a problem with their batteries yet.

Malkavian

Arachnolord
Old Timer
atavuss said:
Memory Card Format Memory Stick (including Pro); CompactFlash Type I and II.
yes, it will use compact flash as well.
I am on my 5th Sony digital camera, and have never had a problem with their batteries yet.

I suppose it's possible ti was a one-off thing with that model, and Sony has inproved the battery tech since then.

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
Jake H. said:
I have both a Canon (Powershot A300, 3.2MP) and a Fuji (FinePix S7000, 6.3MP), and really like them both. Of course, the latter is better and I prefer it over the canon.

I also have a Finepix and absolutely love it..
The memory is sooo small the package actually has a choking hazard on it !!

these cameras ARE very reasonable and the color and crispness is TOP NOTCH..

I would LOVE to own a Digital SLR but some day

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
just found a possible deal on the Canon Powershot A-95......(depending on what you call a deal)
Dell Home has it for $349 with a few discounts......once you get it to your shopping cart, add this coupon code 7Z2935S4C?H60V and you get it for $274.10 with free shipping and Dell Home does not charge tax in most states....
coupon expires tomorrow....

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
kosh said:
just found a possible deal on the Canon Powershot A-95......(depending on what you call a deal)
Dell Home has it for $349 with a few discounts......once you get it to your shopping cart, add this coupon code 7Z2935S4C?H60V and you get it for $274.10 with free shipping and Dell Home does not charge tax in most states....
coupon expires tomorrow....

even better deal.......

Dell Home has the Canon Powershot A95 5-MegaPixel 3x Zoom Digital Camera for $329 - automatic 15% off - $35 off $325 code 1902C2WWPZFRTN [Exp 3/12, 5:59am CST, 2000 uses] = $245 with free shipping.

Bark

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just ordered a Sony Cybershot DSCP93 5MP Digital Camera with 3x Optical Zoom/3X digital zoom for $211USD. It should arrive tuesday.

The reason its so cheap for a digital camera is that the Macro Mode is only 3.9 (10cm), but other than that I don't see any problem with it. Too be honest, I really don't know anything about macro photography.

I also purchased a 1GB memory stick pro ($102) so that I can take advantage of the MPEG VX Fine with Audio (640 x 480 at 30fps) feature. Giggity giggity. ;)

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i havent ordered yet, but one of the reasons im thinking about the A95 is the macro is like 2 inches and the screen opens out and rotates so you can have a good view of it for those abnormal photo angles....like over your head in a crowd or below you for macro shots of your T's...

Bark

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
kosh said:
i havent ordered yet, but one of the reasons im thinking about the A95 is the macro is like 2 inches and the screen opens out and rotates so you can have a good view of it for those abnormal photo angles....like over your head in a crowd or below you for macro shots of your T's...
So ideally you want a small macro distance??? 2 inches is better than 3.9?

Just wondering. :?

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
the macro number is the minimum distance at which your camera can focus when in macro mode.... 2 inches would allow you to take pics at a distance of 2 inches....3.9 would require a distance of 3.9 inches....so i guess with a 2 inch macro, you could take closer shots....

many of the Nikon cameras have a macro of about 1.5 inches.....

Last edited:

Bark

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
kosh said:
the macro number is the minimum distance at which your camera can focus when in macro mode.... 2 inches would allow you to take pics at a distance of 2 inches....3.9 would require a distance of 3.9 inches....so i guess with a 2 inch macro, you could take closer shots....

many of the Nikon cameras have a macro of about 1.5 inches.....
Ok cool. Thanks!