Digital camera

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thinking about buying one, just not sure which one to get. I don't need all of the bells and whistles, but I don't want the cheapest model either. Something that I can take good child and/or invert pictures with that doesn't require a whole lot of technical savvy.

Thoughts?

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i have been looking at possibly buying a Canon Powershot A-95 as well......just been waiting on the price to come down a little.....the cheapest ive seen so far is just under $280....

it seems like the Canon Powershot series and the Nikon Coolpix series have the two best macro functions i have seen....the Nikon's macro is like 1.5 inches and the Canon's are 2 inches....the Canon when shooting video, is time limited by internal memory buffers (i believe) and the Nikon are limited only by the size of the removable memory....the Canon Powershot will accept add on lenses and such whereas the Nikon will not...

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Good to know. I think there are some local stores where I could finance a camera and pay it off in a few months.

I do a lot of hiking during the summers, too, it would be nice to get herp and invert pics on the trail.

mouse

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i got a kodak easyshare, it's easy to use and doesn't act up like the vivitar i had. and i bought the kodak at sears for $100.

dianne

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Just make sure it has a macro setting (for inverts) and that it is not a canon.

I was told by someone I trust with regard to photography this information, and I feel confident in reiterating it here.

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
sheri's comments seem to reinforce what i read about Nikon having better macro than canon....or at least 1/2" better distance over canon...
i tried a friend of mine's Canon S1 IS and the autofocus didnt want to do to well in macro mode.....but the image stabilization was cool as the image is hard to keep still when viewing close up or in zoom...
the canon powershot a95 has the tilt/rotate lcd screen which would be awfully handy when trying to get macro shots of your bugs...

Wolvie56X

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i just gotta real good camera, sony cybershot 5.0 megapixel, the $800 one, but i got it on ebay, really sweet camera

hey sheri, where would the macro function be for the camera? cant seem to find it

Wolvie56X

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ok i found it, wow is all i can say, cant wait to take some bug pics tomorrow in the light

check out ebay if you wanna find a nice digital camera for cheap i paid $300 for this camera, retails for around $800 and its gotta video recording setting, its sweet

Wolvie56X

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
holy crap the macro function works on the movie part haha nice, anyone wanna see some videos of bugs eating?

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
galeogirl said:
Good to know. I think there are some local stores where I could finance a camera and pay it off in a few months.

I do a lot of hiking during the summers, too, it would be nice to get herp and invert pics on the trail.

is there a price range you are held to? do you want a huge honking camera? want a small one (camera!) you can tuck in a pocket and carry everywhere with you?

Malkavian

Arachnolord
Old Timer
The only brand I'll say stay away from is Sony---their F7xx line of cameras are awesome, but proprietary batteries and memory sticks are a huge hassle.

I'm extremely happy with my Fuji S602, though it's about 3 years out of date at this point

Nikon is good as well

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

Paige,

I have had good experience with Canon, Nikon, and Sony.

Head over to http://www.steves-digicams.com/ or http://dpreview.com/ and browse around for a few ideas.

Most of my macrophotography was done with a Sony F717 and olympus 1.4x telephoto extension, which you can probably get for wolvies price of around $300 + some extra for accesories.

Sony sample:

I now use a Nikon D70 with a Sigma lens for smaller subjects.

Canons are also stable with the upper end powershot models such as G4 and G5. My best advice is to go to a camera store and play with a few models to see what you like, then match prices online.

-V-

Last edited:

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
The Olympus Zoom series has a pretty good macro. I have the C-4000 which has worked out well for me.

Cheers,
Dave

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
I have the same sony camera Vayu mentioned and love it.

The second link he provided is a very thorough review site...I highly recommend it.

John
];')

Raindog

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Those are some great images Vayu.
I use a D70 as well but have strayed into portraits with my macro lens, they are very versatile. Here's one I took of Kilo a few minutes ago while fiddling with my new flash...

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Feed your dog man...look at that face! {D

John
];')

Raindog

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah he only stood still because I was holding a treat in my left hand while holding what felt like twenty pounds of camera, lens and flash in my right.

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would suggest a Nikon D70.
If you had a lot of money.
However, the The Coolpix line is awesome. The new ones in the 300-400
dollar range are incredible.